Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When you're not dressed vintage...

Maguire

Practically Family
I suppose when it comes to casual, especially in the summer (less linen suits, so can't exactly use them everyday) its mostly guayaberas or something like that.

Warden

One Too Many
Well I decided last year to try and go vintage 100% of the time, but so far it has not happened.

I hate the idea of throwing out clothes until they are worn out, thus I still have a collection of modern clothes, which I wear on a regular basis. It is that old make do and mend eithic.

Plus I really could not face cutting the grass or painting the house in something retro.

Still one day I will get there. I am in need of new clothes, so retro is slowly filling my wardrobe.

Harry

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I will readily say that I do not dress 100 % vintage, but the overall look is what people would call vintage. I usually wear modern cut slacks, modern slim fit shirts, and the like.

But I try to wear something vintage looking when I step outside. If not, then I'm wearing my uniform for work or I'm going to the gym. Those are the only exceptions I can think of.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
Since I don't have a photo of my relaxed work wear I just show this shot.
sugarmen.jpg

This is about what I look like out doing a field survey minus the sledge hammer. Like I said, Carhart Man.

Cheers!

Dan

This is also my attire most days. I dress like my Grandpa, a logger of 30 plus years back in its heyday. He retired in '72 and lived to be 93 passing away in '99. He had two double breasted suits. One for wining and dining and the other for marrying and burying. His words exactly. This rest of the time he was in khaki work pants, ankle high work boots, a white T under a zip up Hickory Shirt and never, ever without a fedora.

I live rural just like my Grandpa did and I carried on the logging tradition in the family for ten years myself being the fourth generation in my family to do so. Sawdust runs in the veins...

RJ

rue

bump :)

Interesting thread...

I wear vintage inspired clothing everyday (I haven't built a complete actual vintage wardrobe yet). The only thing I still wear that isn't vintage looking at all are some jeans I've had for years when I'm working on the house, but my hair and make-up are always done :)

Gene

Practically Family
I am usually always vintage, unless I'm doing something where I know I'll get extremely dirty and potentially ruin my clothes. I stopped caring about being "modern" a long time ago.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I wear vintage inspired clothing everyday (I haven't built a complete actual vintage wardrobe yet). The only thing I still wear that isn't vintage looking at all are some jeans I've had for years when I'm working on the house, but my hair and make-up are always done :)
Same here. I have a pair of jeans for the times where it is the most practical, but I haven't worn trousers for 20 years. Well, I have bought a pair of 1940's reproduction trousers, but I never seem to find a good opportunity to wear them... And I loathe and detest pantyhose because they never fit well. I feel so much better about myself if I have fixed my hair and put on some make-up so even if it takes me all of 15 minutes, I do it every day. ;) And if not throughoutly vintage to work, at least not regulary, I usually wear a twinset and skirt or a dress, which at least evoke a vintage feeling. And high heels always.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Nearly all my clothes are modern but in a vintage style, rather than vintage (except for ties, a few jackets and coats) since vintage finds in my size are damn rare.
That said, I never go out without being suitably dressed. I never go out without neckwear (tie, cravat or neckerchief). Last summer I realised I was out in the front garden cutting the lawn in shorts, a vest, plimsoles and a cravat! For any heavy duty work (gardening, decorating etc) I just wear worn out versions of my normal clothes.
I have shorts for summer (mainly if I am cycling) that are properly tailored - effectively being just a short-legged version of my trousers. Some of them even have turn ups.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner