Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When you're not dressed vintage...

swinggal

One Too Many
Generally classic style most of the time. Most of the modern things I buy have a retro edge to them anyway. I wear lots of vests with wide flowy pants, high-waisted wide cuffed jeans, a-line skirts and puff-sleeved shirts, plimsole sneakers or flats with jeans. I have lots of nice coats and jackets too that are cut in a 30s/40s style and are fitted at the waist. Even my t-shirts I tend to buy with a puff sleeve. I just find them more flattering. In warmer weather I pull out my short tartan skirts as well or 50s style armless cotton dresses.

I do love my high-waisted wide leg pants. They go with anything and are so stylish.

I tend to wear thin headbands or fake flowers in my hair to dress things up when I'm not sporting old 'dos'.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I dress vintage or neo-vintage about six days a week; Saturdays, I'll often wear khakis and a polo shirt with dress shoes. Today, I'm actually wearing some tan, American Living trousers with a Tommy Bahama, psuedo-South Seas shirt and dress shoes, but that's only because my students did an assembly on Oceania (and I feel a bit odd due to it). I'm just too used to "dressing up," be it vintage or modern clothing, to feel comfortable going to school in anything else.

grundie

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Welcome to the next few years of your life. ;) :p
My sons learned REAL fast how to make dad mad by making messes. They may get themselves dirty but not me or my wife. :p

I'm hoping to get through he next few weeks without too many hiccups as we do the same and convince him that making a mess of ma or da is a bad idea.

PS Does anyone know how to get baby teeth marks out of a trilby?

Kishtu

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Welcome to the next few years of your life. ;) :p
My sons learned REAL fast how to make dad mad by making messes. They may get themselves dirty but not me or my wife. :p

Pleased to say that from day 1 of his entry into the world Will is going to be dressed vintage, as I've made him a dozen or so little cotton smocks from a pattern in my 1948 Home Dressmaker's Companion.

(And ever so sweet they are too, usually striped or plain colours, have a narrow black and white striped one in front of me as I type with a Cornish tartan ribbon sash to hold the back closed...)

Looking forward to *not* having to wear large and billowy shirts and leggings, and suspect that I might just say the heck with the dribble and baby-spit and figure that a repro vintage wardrobe washes just the same as a contemporary one lol

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've been wearing suits or vintage-inspired outfits four or five days a week. When not, I'm generally in jeans and t-shirt with hiking boots. No matter what I'm always wearing a hat when I leave the house, and usually a blazer.

Summer's what really gets me. I can dress vintage all week in the colder months, but I'm much more limited when it comes to summer wear. I've been scouring the charity shops for shirts, which should help increase the variety of my summer wardrobe.

NDW76

New in Town
For work, a pair of black slacks, black shoes, a long sleeve pin striped shirt, tie with tie bar and a hat.

When I'm just lounging around the house, long shorts, t-shirt, and slip on-butt ugly but comfortable-shoes.

Annichen

Familiar Face
I can't recall the last time I bought new clothes, I do have two Juicy Couture(!:eusa_doh: ) suits and I am addicted to black thermals in the winter.
I also have some Disney shirts, mostly black, but that is probably it.
I still have some of the clothes I have bought through the years but in the last few years I hardly wear any of it.
When I am at home I just wear eighter a vintage everyday dress or if it is a bit cold and I have to do house work or something in the garden etc. the Juicy Couture or the Disney shirts are best..but my guess is they will probably go away sooner or later.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Non Vintage...

With engine oil and grease..etc, I don't want to be getting my vintage garb clobbered in muck, so my only vintage item *here* is the 1940 leather belt back jacket and the vintage 'driving gloves.'
The rest is 'very practical' for driving the car, in that I don't care too much if it gets damaged (this is from yesterday - Sunday Drive).

I KNOW...:eek: Paddy in *some* non-vintage kit!!! whatever NEXT...?! :coffee:

MAZDAMX5RUN032.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
the outfit on you Paddy, the open top car, the CASTLE in the background---

THUD. (that was the sound as I hit the floor in a dead faint.) I don't just sway and swoon with any time to possibly catch me...:)

PADDY said:
my only vintage item *here* is the 1940 leather belt back jacket and the vintage 'driving gloves.'
The rest is 'very practical' for driving the car, in that I don't care too much if it gets damaged (this is from yesterday - Sunday Drive).

Feraud

Bartender
Annichen said:
I can't recall the last time I bought new clothes, I do have two Juicy Couture(!:eusa_doh: ) suits and I am addicted to black thermals in the winter.
I also have some Disney shirts, mostly black, but that is probably it.
I still have some of the clothes I have bought through the years but in the last few years I hardly wear any of it.
When I am at home I just wear eighter a vintage everyday dress or if it is a bit cold and I have to do house work or something in the garden etc. the Juicy Couture or the Disney shirts are best..but my guess is they will probably go away sooner or later.

If we can get one person to turn away from the gawd awfulness that is Juicy Courture then our work here is done. ;) :)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cool Thread

I usually wear jeans or cargo shorts and pants, khakis. Most of my wardrobe is straight from the Eddie Bauer store (I like functionality) and the outdoors. For my hat (new addition, got my first one a few weeks ago), a Dark Brown Akubra Federation IV.

I would probably wear nicer clothes, suits, and vintage stuff, but I'm 19 and don't have the funds for that stuff.

Annichen

Familiar Face
Feraud said:
If we can get one person to turn away from the gawd awfulness that is Juicy Courture then our work here is done. ;) :)

Yes, also let me tell you I have had the two suits for 7 years and they both look brand new ;)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Shamefully enough, I'm in modern clothes more than I'm dressed vintage. Most days, it's jeans or chinos and a polo or dress shirt (but with 50's wingtip bluchers and of course a vintage hat), or on the really hot days its dress shorts and dress shirt. But when I've even a little dressed up, I always have at least something vintage on, usually most of it. And I never, ever leave the house without a fedora. :D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
I usually wear jeans or cargo shorts and pants, khakis. Most of my wardrobe is straight from the Eddie Bauer store (I like functionality) and the outdoors. For my hat (new addition, got my first one a few weeks ago), a Dark Brown Akubra Federation IV.

I would probably wear nicer clothes, suits, and vintage stuff, but I'm 19 and don't have the funds for that stuff.

I'm 20 years old, but I get the feeling that the way we dress isn't all that far off... except I rarely wear shorts; mostly modern jeans or chinos, paired with short sleeve button down shirts, denim shirts, or dress shirts. Money is also an issue for me, and I'm in the same boat; I would wear suits and sport coats pretty often, but this is prohibitively expensive for me right now. I do have that same exact hat though, brown Federation IV.
Indy-Hat-Tip.gif

Claire Voyant

New in Town
I'm almost always in vintage. When I want to be super comfortable(if I have a very long exam or something of the like) I just wear a solid colored t-shirt, dark jeans, and a pair of saddle shoes or loafers. The only other time I don't wear vintage is when I'm rollerblading with my P.E class. It's just not practical because I end up falling way too much; rips and grass stains are just a pain :(. Those days I just wear plain leggings or shorts and a tee.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wear blue Levis, a white t-shirt, and black steel-toe Docs but this is more because my wife thinks it looks "hot." Otherwise, if I'm not in vintage I wear gray Dickies trousers and a dress shirt and Docs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner