Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When you're not dressed vintage...

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Rigby Reardon said:
That's when you're NOT dressed in vintage? (Has this thread strayed?)

Yup, Ben Davis has been using the same pattern for their workpants since the 30's...and of course the flap pocket Pendleton shirts are virtually the same nowadays as they were in the 40's.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Workaday clothes are dress pants (with braces), shirt (French cuff and cuff links), vintage tie and sweater (in the winter). I decided about 15 years ago that all my ties from that point on had to be older than me. I had quite a few as it was and could not justify spending $60 plus for a boring tie when I could get a fabulous vintage tie for under $20!

I've always had a fairly "vintage-y" look; in high school I regularly wore wing tip collars and bowties to school. A lot of my stuff isn't vintage but most people (present company excepted, obviously!!) can't seem to tell the difference. Many people seem to think most of it is. Getting trousers with a high waist is hard, but it is possible!

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
resortes805 said:
Yup, Ben Davis has been using the same pattern for their workpants since the 30's.
Ben Davis pants have a great cut. My father sends me a couple pairs a year from California. I just wish they would go back to 10% cotton.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
MudInYerEye said:
Ben Davis pants have a great cut. My father sends me a couple pairs a year from California. I just wish they would go back to 10% cotton.

Actually you can still get 100% cotton Ben's in the Bay Area of California. They have a much more 'authentic' and 'vintage' feel to them, and the label is red and white! I know of a surplus store in Berkeley that sells them, I'll do a quick search and see if they are online.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Bumping up an old thread...

When I'm not dressed in vintage (or inspired) wear, I'll wear what I'm comfortable in. Might be jeans (Levis or Old Navy), khakis, capris, shorts (not a must have for Florida, though they do help), as well as dresses. If on site at work, it's conservative with a twist (usually one piece of clothing that stands out). I have clothes from Anthropologie, White House: Black Market, Banana Republic, Arden B and others, and like to mix my vintage and modern on occasion.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I also only have one pair of sneakers, just for the gym too!

Hemingway Jones said:
I guess my total casual look is khakis with a polo shirt with a t-shirt underneath, almost always with a blazer. I only own one pair of jeans and one pair of sneakers that I only wear in the gym.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I wear the hated jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes and chukka boots. But everything fits, nothing is shabby, and everything is right for my coloring and figure. Snazzier clothes would be over-the-top around here.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
still stay somewhat vintage inspired and usually fairly dressy; tailored, classic in style with a feminine look. Almost all of my wardrobe is now natural fibers; linen, silk, cotton, and wool, some rayon. Lots of skirts and easy daytime dresses. I hate wearing t-shirts in general even to work out in at the Y. Only jeans if I have to (primarily for working in the gardens battling the roses), as I dislike the modern low rise. Warm weather; will favor RL Chaps linen button up 3/4 sleeve blouses, linen trousers, silk or linen skirts or shorts, easy dresses and sleeveless sweater tops. Cooler weather, RL cords, RL wool trousers, heavy cotton and fancy sweaters, 3/4 sleeve dresses. A few pics to illustrate:
warm weather:
374837021.jpg
388161811.jpg

388076426.jpg

cool weather:
381396702.jpg
375040192.jpg

375167540.jpg

typical exercise clothes, winter/fall and spring/summer:
377201880.jpg
383609500.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
Khakis, button down oxford shirt, tie, sportcoat (navy or linen in spring/ summer, tweed in fall/ winter) and big, ugly brown wingtips when working.

Modified safari the rest of the time, most of it straight out of the Cabela's catalog.

And always a hat.
Don't have much of a vintage collection yet, but I'm working on it.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
YES YES! God I love the stuff, the materials, the colors, the designs...heavy sigh!

Only wish I knew how to alter patterns and pattern fit my figure so that I could sew myself clothes made from vintage patterns- then my vintage wardrobe would increase dramatically...

Senator Jack said:
If you ain't wearin' vintage, you need more vintage.

Senator Jack

Remember, a vote for me is a vote against progresss!

grundie

One of the Regulars
As my 1 year old son started walking a few weeks ago and has now developed the ability to destroy anything he wants, I am wearing less vintage style through necessity.

Around 50% of his food and drink ends up somewhere other than inside him. I am terrified of him ruining any more my good clothes. He ruined a really nice light tweed jacket on me by throwing a spoonful of orange coloured baby food goo at it.

As a result I end up wearing things like no-name jeans, canvas shoes and one of the many Cape Cod hoodies we own. My wife has family in Cape Cod and they buy us loads of Cape Cod hoodies for some reason. Personally, I'd prefer they sent us Cape Cod beer, but the hoodies are handy.

Edward

Bartender
Increasingly, it's a rare thing that I'm not wearing something at least shooting for a vintage style. Actual vintage in my size is not just so common (I'm about a size or two bigger than it seems was the average in the 40s...), but I no longer buy anything that can't pass, or at least fit in with a vintage look, unless you countg the occasional printed T shirt, though those don't get worn so much anymore, and are mostly limited to various burlesque clubs and performers, and Pogues T shirts (which I can never resist when I go to the gigs at Christmas.... everything else I now try to stick to the mugs or other souvenirs!). Cleared out all my hoodies bar two - a Bob Dylan one, and a Pogues one. The latter works just great when I'm going psychobilly (which isn't often these days, but still); either is very welcome on chilly Winter days at home.

Not sure when the hoody as we know it arrived, though I have seen hooded sweaters for kids in Sears pages from the mid thirties....

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ironically, as my look has evolved (devolved?) into a more vintage style, I'm actually wearing less vintage clothing. With my 40's-50's Hepcat style, which really, was me for most of my adult life, I was pretty strict about almost always wearing true vintage. The thrill of hunting for those pieces and Ebay victories was part of the fun.
Now for the most part I've settled comfortably into a 20's-30's-40's working man look, and as we all know, the amount of repro workwear that is easily and inexpensively accsessible is incredible. I've splurged on some expensive pieces as well, and still have some great vintage pieces in the mix.
Procuring these things now is much easier, and it's a style that suits me much better.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
flat-top said:
Ironically, as my look has evolved (devolved?) into a more vintage style, I'm actually wearing less vintage clothing. With my 40's-50's Hepcat style, which really, was me for most of my adult life, I was pretty strict about almost always wearing true vintage. The thrill of hunting for those pieces and Ebay victories was part of the fun.
Now for the most part I've settled comfortably into a 20's-30's-40's working man look, and as we all know, the amount of repro workwear that is easily and inexpensively accsessible is incredible. I've splurged on some expensive pieces as well, and still have some great vintage pieces in the mix.
Procuring these things now is much easier, and it's a style that suits me much better.

The same goes for me. I still bust out my flashy duds for going out, but my typical everyday mode of dress is vintage inspired workwear with the odd original piece added in (usually a jacket or hat/cap). One thing I do like about the vintage workwear is that it's usually REALLY hard wearing, so you don't have to worry about wearing it out as as much as you do other vintage stuff...

...man I've wrecked some nice gab ricky jackets over the years from wearing them every single day:(

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't own any real vintage clothing that I could wear. Ever try to find anything vintage in a 58 extra long ? [huh] But I do try to dress "vintage inspired" most all the time.

Since retiring last year, I've had a lot of time to just work around the place. My daily attire is usually a pair of bib overalls (that get quite a workout and have a real "patina" going on). With the overalls I will wear an old dress shirt (one that is still serviceable but too far gone to wear with a suit or other "nice" clothes).

When not doing real WORK, I will wear older dress pants and shirts, or khaki pants and button-down collar dress shirts. All toped off with a fedora, of course.

grundie said:
As my 1 year old son started walking a few weeks ago and has now developed the ability to destroy anything he wants, I am wearing less vintage style through necessity.
Around 50% of his food and drink ends up somewhere other than inside him. I am terrified of him ruining any more my good clothes. He ruined a really nice light tweed jacket on me by throwing a spoonful of orange coloured baby food goo at it.

As a result I end up wearing things like no-name jeans, canvas shoes and one of the many Cape Cod hoodies we own. My wife has family in Cape Cod and they buy us loads of Cape Cod hoodies for some reason. Personally, I'd prefer they sent us Cape Cod beer, but the hoodies are handy.

Welcome to the next few years of your life. ;) :p
My sons learned REAL fast how to make dad mad by making messes. They may get themselves dirty but not me or my wife. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner