Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are the women?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
maybe Alfre Woodard, CCH Pounder is another Andie McDowell, maybe though lately I have seen her falling into the "young-ish" thing.

Both fantastic actresses. CCH was one of the best things about "The Shield".

Feraud

Bartender
Rosie said:
There are plenty of indie movies (I'm a BIG fan of the independent circle). I know lots of people who have written and made their own films, two friends of mine are working on two right now, and I worked in independent film before having to get a job that would pay the bills. But being made on miniscule budgets, these films don't really get shown. They do the NY film festival circuit or get shown at some tiny theater and then they go away. Or, they *kind* of get some exposure but don't really do well and so studios don't make them any longer.
Some of the best films I have ever seen were those with no "name" actors and directors! :)

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
If a complaint is Hollywood is a white male's world (that is a valid observation) then why not write, cast, and direct your own film?

I think you would be amazed at how difficult it is raise as little as $3-5 million for an independent film. But just making the film is half the story. Getting distribution can be even more difficult.

It's not impossible to do; people do pull it off every once and a while, but usually the process is about as much fun as chewing on a piece of tinfoil.

RC

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Doh! said:
Tom Cruise shenanigans aside, Katie Holmes keeps getting cast inappropriately. Last year, it was an assistant DA in Batman Begins; this year a seasoned reporter in Thank You for Smoking. I wouldn't say she ruined these fine movies, but certainly weakened 'em. If she were cast as a law or journalism student in the above, fine. Otherwise... give me a break.

Doesn't really matter, because now that she's married to that fruit-loop her career is dead as a doorknob. He's the Bluebeard of the movie biz. That guy is far too narcissistic to tolerate her having any measure of success. Look at Kidman. The minute she dumped Rumpelstilzchen, she suddenly became a success.

RC

Feraud

Bartender
Robert Conway said:
I think you would be amazed at how difficult it is raise as little as $3-5 million for an independent film. But just making the film is half the story. Getting distribution can be even more difficult.

It's not impossible to do; people do pull it off every once and a while, but usually the process is about as much fun as chewing on a piece of tinfoil.

RC
Please do not think I was trying to be intentionally obtuse!:D I certainly agree getting financing and distribution can be the death of creativity. My comments are in support of all filmmakers and to not let the system suppress talent.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think the really great actresses in the movies are those who can make the transition from ingenue to character actress, that was true in old Hollywood and seems to be true today.

I am thinking of Ethel Barrymore, Bette Davis, Lillian Gish, Anna Mae Wong, Shelly Winters, Katherine Hepburn, Gloria Swanson at least in Sunset Blvd), and now Meryl Streep is making that transition and will probably make movies until she drops.

Many English actresses went from leading ladies to characters and had long careers. Check out any actress who has "Dame" in front of her name.

So many, once they were past their "glamour" days, just disappeared from the screen and now spend their time fighting for animals rights, ecological concerns, etc. Some returned to the stage.

I hope Drew Barrymore makes it to being a character actress -- she has more than a passing resemblance to her great aunt Ethel and uncle Lionel, and they were wonderful actors, both portraying characters in wheelchairs in their last films, as they were in wheelchairs.

karol

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Please do not think I was trying to be intentionally obtuse!:D I certainly agree getting financing and distribution can be the death of creativity. My comments are in support of all filmmakers and to not let the system suppress talent.

Sorry if I came off a little strong, it wasn't intended. I do not doubt the sincerity of your post.
;)

RC

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I always think the English actresses are much more 'grown up' than their American peers, even the young ones. Maybe it's the accent?

Feraud

Bartender
Female talent abounds but is eclipsed by our obsession with youth and celebrity. The extent to which most major media outlets discuss female talent goes no further than, "is Nicole Ritchie too thin?". They justify this by saying this is what we want.

I just watched The Notorious Bettie Page. The movie was just o.k. but Gretchen Moll was fantastic!

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
This is why I was so glad that Karen Allen looked like a healthy 56 year old woman in Indy 4. No surgery, no botox- just a woman perfectly comfortable with who and what she is at this stage of her life. Brava to Ms. Allen. I hope I can be as gracious with myself when I am that age.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Lulu-in-Ny said:
This is why I was so glad that Karen Allen looked like a healthy 56 year old woman in Indy 4. No surgery, no botox- just a woman perfectly comfortable with who and what she is at this stage of her life. Brava to Ms. Allen. I hope I can be as gracious with myself when I am that age.

And she was still beautiful and sexy.

Richard

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I think actresses during the golden age were afforded a much better deal. The aforementioned Jean Arthur was 39 when she played the female lead in both Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Only Angels Have Wings. She starred in one of my favorites The More, The Merrier at 43 and in A Foreign Affair at 48.

Mary Astor scored the biggest role of her career at 35 as Brigid O'Shaughnessy in The Maltese Falcon. Bette Davis was 42 in All About Eve. Myrna Loy was 43 in The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. I'm sure there are other examples but those are the ones that spring to mind.

While I have no hard evidence to back this up, I think it mostly boils down to our modern obsession with youth. This has always been with us in some degree, we have taken it to new and very unhealthy levels.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Originally posted by Lulu-in-NY:

Yes! She aged very well, and not in the "look, I have impossibly perfect skin" way. Of course, she hasn't been in the movie industry for years, so that explains some of it.

Cate Blanchett was great, too. I was afraid they would either make her character too tough & masculine or too sexy. I think she struck a nice balance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles