Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where would we be without eBay?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I rarely use eBay. I don't like it too much. I only go on there once or twice a year and buy myself some old movie magazines. Other than that, I completely forget about it.

cgab1

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
Actually, Ebay hasn't been that great for me. I have gotten a few gems on there, but often times I get mediocre things for way too much money.

I agree - E-bay is way too expensive. Gone are the days where you could buy a vintage suit for $100.00. I lost this 1940s suit to someone who bid $350.00. I'd go buy a new one before I paid that much for a 70 year old suit that has to be brought to a seamstress for repairs.

cgab

suit.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I'm a big fan of eBay. Like anything else, there's strategy involved (I do use a sniper program now and then). And there's always the buyers who will fixate on something as "theirs" and drive up the selling price to crazy levels (I've seen second hand stuff sell for more than the new cost - at that stuff which could easily have been found elsewhere on the web, had the buyer bothered to run a simple search). I have spent scary money on there - everything from guitars to concert tickets to clothes.... Had some real bargains with patience and letting a whole bunch of auctions go before I won one on a bunch of things. I'm currently waiting to turn up the right deal on some old Ray Bans (rather than buying some new, crappy copies for the same money!). I find that while vintage shops are plentiful here in London, a lot of them are either full of 80s tat, or have an inflated notion of what stuff is worth. I've seen unbelievably ratty tailcoats on sale for GBP50 and upwards simply because - as one of the ladies said above, "it's old." I bought a perfect, as new condition original 1930s tailcoat on eBay for GBP50 a few months ago. It might be different in the big cities in the US, but here in good old Rip-Off Britain, a lot of the vintage palces really are pricey.

ScarletAirelle

New in Town
Originally posted by Edward

I find that while vintage shops are plentiful here in London, a lot of them are either full of 80s tat, or have an inflated notion of what stuff is worth. I've seen unbelievably ratty tailcoats on sale for GBP50 and upwards simply because - as one of the ladies said above, "it's old.

I know exactly what you mean, there are a lot of vintage shops around where I live and their things are really expensive. I know that without ebay I'd be a couple of hundred dollars richer, It's a really bad habit i just can't seem to break. :(

Edward

Bartender
ScarletAirelle said:
I know exactly what you mean, there are a lot of vintage shops around where I live and their things are really expensive. I know that without ebay I'd be a couple of hundred dollars richer, It's a really bad habit i just can't seem to break. :(

I'm just trying to work up an equal habit of selling the old stuff I don't want on there!! :rolleyes:

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aside from hats or vintage clothing the amount of vintage auto parts that are obtainable on Ebay is overwhelming. Without Ebay car guys would have to write ads in local auto nut publications with limited circulation to buy or sell. That is in effect worthless. Those that are geographically close to some of the famous swap meets that occur once or twice a year would have to walk through acres of junk in hopes of finding what they want. Nothing beats Ebay in the easy find-ability of specific items immediately. Much of this stuff stuff is not obtainable anywhere else in any retail environment.

For that matter much of the merchandise is the same. Collect antique electric fans? How many ya gonna find after driving around on $3 gas at thrift shops? How many old fan magazines are there? And it's like that with virtually every esoteric category.

I come to looking at Ebay 1st no matter what I need to see the listings. A Sears refridgerator filter costs $54 with tax, gas, and my time when purchased from Sears. On Ebay there are several purveyers of the identical filter that ends up $35 shipped to my door. Why would I not save $19 by just sitting on my ass at the PC?:)

carter

I'll Lock Up
I'm just trying to work up an equal habit of selling the old stuff I don't want on th

Edward, I have to second that emoticon! If I could just sell all the books, ties, shoes, vintage Kromex, and other stuff I have, I'd have much less clutter. I'd also get more sleep!
I recently bought an Akubra hat from Dumbjaw that he listed in the FL Classifieds. Maybe we should encourage members to list there 1st.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have been an eBay addict in the past. Not only have I collected fedoras, but also cowboy boots, cowboy hats, miniature horse and rider figures, vintage toys that I remember from my childhood (now I have them back again), and old books that I once had and lost (now I have them back).

Plus I am able to get some unique gifts for my friends from eBay sales. One holiday, I bought 95% of my gifts off eBay.

I notice that the vintage toys and hats are harder to come by these days, glad I tapped in to eBay early on, was easily able to score some good items, and did not have to spend a whole lot of money.

Ebay led me to this place, indirectly, and I now buy my hats from custom hatters. I have all the toys I need, now use eBay to collect minerals, fossils and polished stones, and other collectibles, for me, my friends, and for my nephews and niece.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have been an eBay addict in the past. Not only have I collected fedoras, but also cowboy boots, cowboy hats, miniature horse and rider figures, vintage toys that I remember from my childhood (now I have them back again), and old books that I once had and lost (now I have them back).

Plus I am able to get some unique gifts for my friends from eBay sales. One holiday, I bought 95% of my gifts off eBay.

I notice that the vintage toys and hats are harder to come by these days, glad I tapped in to eBay early on, was easily able to score some good items, and did not have to spend a whole lot of money.

Ebay led me to this place, indirectly, and I now buy my hats from custom hatters. I have all the toys I need, now use eBay to collect minerals, fossils and polished stones, and other collectibles, for me, my friends, and for my nephews and niece.

Ebay has come in handy now that I live in a small city and do not have access to the shops and stores I did when I lived in San Diego.

karol

carter

I'll Lock Up
CROCKETT & JONES handcrafted for Barneys New York SZ 9

There is a nice pair of men's size 9 (US) being offered on EBay thru Jul 19. Current bid is under $25.00. Too small for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner