Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

cecil

A-List Customer
HadleyH said:
Leave the 70s alone.

The teens and those hideous hobble skirts women wore. To say nothing about the monstrousness of the hats. Dreadful, ghastly things, that's all there is to it. :mad:

HobbleSkirtPostcard.jpg

Agreed. Bland, unflattering, constricting, laughably impractical. Awful. The decade before was pretty ugly, too.

Having said that, there are things that I think are hideous and things that I absolutely love in every decade.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I used to think the 70's

but now looking around and seeing guys in jeans and untucked shirts eating at elegant restaurants, I'd have to say the 00's were the worst decade for style.

Flashback:

Picture, if you will, Connie Chung wearing disco shorts and roller skating on either Santa Monica or Venice pier.

In the '70s she was a local anchor at KNXT (now KCBS) Channel 2 in L.A. At the time she also hosted a show with Steve Edwards called 2 on the Town and she could be seen in the opening credits in that getup.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Chas said:
The 60's experienced a downturn in the practice of personal hygiene....

Mmmmm. unwashed bodies.....wacked out on drugs....yummy.

455909075_d6f5b19c58.jpg
The 60s was very much a two-sided coin. On one side you had the disgusting people you posted, but on the other side you have the well-dressed with pressed suits who obvisously still had good hygiene.
es12mg.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:

Hee hee.... looks like a wee fella in his dad's jacket... lol

Marc Chevalier said:
Hi, Bill!

Gosh, how rich are all those people now?

Ah, but are they happy? Well, probably. But they're EVIL I tell ya, EVIL!!!

Carlisle Blues said:
I was talking about the "bathing suit" the guy was wearing...

Here is a "super hot" model from 1917. Just using your standard...[huh]

1917.jpg
Ohhh she makes me sizzle..Hubba Hubba.....:D

I prefer that way over the Brinkley shot, which just looks cheap and nasty, tbh. [huh]

Carlisle Blues said:

Are his hands covering a split seam? lol

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
avedwards said:
The 60s was very much a two-sided coin. On one side you had the disgusting people you posted, but on the other side you have the well-dressed with pressed suits who obvisously still had good hygiene.

Ain't that the truth! For some reason in the '80s there was this huge PR move to make baby boomers nostalgic using the simplistic 1960s "formula": JFK assassination, The Beatles, Hippies, Drugs, and Woodstock (they always leave out Altamont--go figure).

They totally ignored "Swinging London", James Bond, and the other things that "grown ups" of the era enjoyed. And as someone who wasn't around then and didn't like the endless tales of that hippie/dippie/trippie crap, the "other side" of the coin was a refreshing breeze free of pot smoke, Charles Manson, and the friggin' Rolling Stones.

And anyone who would try and keep Diana Rigg's visage and form from an adolescent lad is a war criminal. :D

JimWagner

Practically Family
Well, I was certainly there in the 60's and can say that most of what people think they know about the decade is media b.s. pure and simple. And that based on isolated areas of the country in the last few years of the decade.

The whole country wasn't college campuses. And even on college campuses, with maybe the exception of a few places (like Berkely?) the "hippies" were a bunch of college kid poseurs playing dress up. Most (but certainly not all) of whom put away their costumes upon graduation and went to work. And moved along into the 70's and (shudder) Disco.

Were there people taking drugs? Yes. Are there people taking drugs today? Yes. It's just not the media darling it was and not wrapped up in new age b.s.

The reality of the 60's has about as much to do with what the media has painted as the 30's did to depression era movies.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised at all the 80s hating. Many of the things people complain about here--the scruffy look, polyester, overexposed flesh, low-slung pants, and overall dowdiness--were passe in the 80s. There were some crazy looks, but IME, almost everyone recognized that these were costumes worn by performers on a stage, not something to be imitated by everyone over the age of five. People loved jeans and tennis shoes, but everybody dressed up for special occasions. Anybody shopping in their pajamas would have been met by men in white coats.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I'm surprised at all the 80s hating. Many of the things people complain about here--the scruffy look, polyester, overexposed flesh, low-slung pants, and overall dowdiness--were passe in the 80s.

I remember the 80's as the last decade that ladies dressed nice at work. It's been years since I've seen anyone wearing a dress (or a suit) at work.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:
Yet you cite Christie Brinkley as a supermodel. Certainly not for her "inner self".....:eusa_doh:

I never knew Christie Brinkley, so I can't say anything about her personality. She has the figure and the beauty to be a super model, don't know anything about her. [huh]

The photo you posted exudes sex where as the others from turn of the century will lend a man looking at a woman in her eyes and not noticing her assets right off the bat. I'm going to be frank; I find more appeal and mystery in a woman wearing modest clothing than just showin' off 80% off the goods. Leave something to the imagination.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
avedwards said:
es12mg.jpg

That is true, however the early part of the decade still had some class and it was mostly the older generations that held to some respectable standards. The youth of the mid to late 60s were the rebellious types that were anti establishment and headed the Hippy movement on to Woodstock.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
I never knew Christie Brinkley, so I can't say anything about her personality. She has the figure and the beauty to be a super model, don't know anything about her. [huh]

The photo you posted exudes sex where as the others from turn of the century will lend a man looking at a woman in her eyes and not noticing her assets right off the bat. I'm going to be frank; I find more appeal and mystery in a woman wearing modest clothing than just showin' off 80% off the goods. Leave something to the imagination.

That is the first time I ever saw that picture myself. It is from:

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue.
Year: 2007
Photographed by: Walter Iooss Jr.
Collection: When They Were Rookies

I have yet to see an issue myself and quite frankly it is not on my "to do" list. The picture was in rebuttal to your post.

That is a matter of style as well. Images of the human body unclothed have been around for thousands of years.

The Creation of Adam. Michelangelo. 1508-1512.

Whether it is considered sexually explicit, art or advertising is truly in the mind of the beholder....[huh]

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Forgotten Man said:
Now, here's my girl in a late teen’s cotton dress... would you define this dress as one of them horrible teen's dresses?

The dress is beautiful as is the picture. :)

However, if you were referring to my post is was a bathing suit that was being modeled; hence the Christy Brinkley comparison.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't get what's supposed to be appealing about James Bond's fashion sense. :eek:

Prefer the hippies. Don't want to be one, but they're probably more fun to hang out with for a weekend. Remind me of my folks. There's nothing cool about them to me, but I don't hate my parents. lol

B24Pilot

New in Town
OMG Late 60`s to early 90`s

I think we can put all almost all the fashion from the late 60`s through the early 90`s all into one giant era of fashion unconciousness. I swear almost everyone in that era was smoking crack before they got dressed. It`s all the fault of those damn hippies! Everything up to the 1950`s had a classic professional well kept look to clothing.. people looked classy and well put together. The hippies came along and ruined everything with their social rebeliion! I swear we will never recover!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace