Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
lol lol lol

Untitled-2.jpg
[/IMG]

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I had bought some doggy pajamas for my greyhounds and - for a bit of levity - got my girl a pink pair with fluffy white sheep on it. Anyhow, later on I saw a pair of pajamas in an almost exact print, in lilac, at LaSenza. I had to buy it!

Yes, there is a photo. And no, I shan't be posting it!:D

Quigley Brown said:
I'm kidding... :D It sure is fun to look back on that era, though. The one in the blue jumpsuit looks like Lisa Kudrow, but she'd be 11 then...

lol lol Just checking.
Fun to look back but geez, everytime I do; I remember the joys of polyester in warm weather---or even cold weather for that matter. :eusa_doh:
I suppose that is why my sons wear vintage clothing now (before 1960). They need not hide their childhood photos that way.:p

Lear

One of the Regulars
FountainPenGirl said:
I agree with the '70's. You can wear just about any era from the 1890's to today, walk out in public today and not look as weird as you would wearing '70's...<snip>

Nicely put :eusa_clap

SiennaWu

New in Town
Mike in Seattle said:
I think Binkie's nailed it - the 90s. I think everything's been sliding down hill from casual to crap, to the point where the vast majority walk around looking like total slobs. People in flip-flops and wearing Lycra and Spandex who should know better (just because it DOES stretch doesn't mean it should always been stretched to the max). I believe the 90s, perhaps the late 80s were the start of "casual Fridays" which has expanded into "sloppy everyday." The prewashed jeans craze has now spread all pants, shirts and the like, to the point that finding "brand new" items that look new and fresh is almost impossible. So many things look old and worn...and usually cost MORE preworn than their unworn, unwashed versions.

This made me laugh as it is SO true! My most hated look is tights worn as pants, even if you have a good figure it helps to leave something to the imagination...
As I was but a wee child in the 80's and early 90's, items such as leggings, scrunch socks, hi-top sneakers and fluro are thankfully not as ingrained in my memories. My excuse is always that my mother made we wear it!

Sienna :)

SiennaWu said:
LOL! The male 'model' looks like he'd rather be elsewhere. The background is vaguely 70's disco.

Oh it is definitely 70s. :eusa_doh: Even the dog seems to be saying: Get me outta here!"
If you doubt the 70s was an ugly period---the worst in terms of style---take this:
UGLY-TIE-2.jpg

close up ugly tie:
Ugly-tie-bull.jpg

These are just the ties. Pair that with ugly polyester leisure suits and a huge collar shirt and you really have a sight. lol :p

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I agree on the 70's. I've seen plenty of pictures of family and friends who lived through the decade, and the style of dress is not something I'd want to venture into. :p

davestlouis

Practically Family
My dad is VERY conservative in his clothing choices, but even he got into gawdawful 70s fashions, and even grew long "Elvis" sideburns for awhile...uugghhh.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
The current decade is shaping up as a shocker. Yesterday I saw several girls wearing shorts so short they needed a XXX wax, in one case teamed with horrible ugg boots. The hemlines are either maxi (which flatter very few people) or micro-mini (which flatters even fewer).

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I HATE Ug boots. They look so horrible and slovenly.

I was only born in the late 80s, but I seem to remember the 90s fashion was pretty bad: parachute trousers (what was all that string coming off it?), chunky trainers, overly straightened and unflattering hair.

I think any era has its bad fashion element, it just depends what's casual or couture and mostly on each specific person's clothing taste. There are some badly dressed women from 40s and 50s as they simply didn't know how to dress themselves. You'll always get these people no matter what decade.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Worst decade for style? It had to be the '70. :eek:

That's me (tall guy on the left) with my date (how do you like that hat). My friend and I double dated for the prom in 1974. What we didn't know until we both showed up at our date's house was we had somehow picked out the exact same tux.

Oh well, at the time I guess that Carolina blue tux with the black velvet trim and extra-wide lapels looked "cool, man, real cool" ... :eek:

DSC03894.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Big man, its funny my brother got married in almost the same tuxedo actually, except it was more purple... and he had an afro! :eek:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chasseur said:
Big man, its funny my brother got married in almost the same tuxedo actually, except it was more purple... and he had an afro! :eek:

Now that would be a sight to see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24