Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

davestlouis

Practically Family
64 keys, I wonder how many pieces you couldn't play on a truncated keyboard like that? I grudgingly took piano lessons for 5 years when I was in grade school but can't even read music now

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

The '70s did have awful-looking airplane interiors ... but boy, were they spacious and jolly. Some of the 747s even had a coach lounge!

650boeing2.jpg

2267801838c4fd1e0bf3b.jpg

7008.jpg

AMERICAN747COACHLOUNGE2-vi.jpg

qantas7120.jpg

boeing747interiorupperd.jpg

phpnafoak.jpg

Now that's how you're supposed to fly, not sit around shoulder to shoulder with some mumbling twit next to you with a chicken in a cage under the seat.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

What the hell? Dayglo orange and pink airplanes with smiles painted on their noses.

1405632.jpg

Would you prefer a frown? ;)

Jolly birds, iffy packaging. "Hi, I'm Kristie. Fly me!"

psastew3x.jpg

They still work for the airlines, just now they are 50 pounds heavier and wearing muumuu's. lol

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
Now that's how you're supposed to fly, not sit around shoulder to shoulder with some mumbling twit next to you with a chicken in a cage under the seat.

I agree Lincsong, I hope that history really does repeat because I want that airline experience to be the future I can look forward too! Looks like 2001 Space Odyssey. I even like the keyboard. I love old electronic instruments. Awesome!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shangas said:
I wish we had planes set out like that these days. Like flying trains.

I just wish we still had Jet National Airlines with us. Also known as "the go-go airline" -- here's why:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbTdVj_VYyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tbTdVj_VYyo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Okay, now the '80s. Here's why that decade's style was both great and ridiculous at the same time:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S9-n9gpFVpk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S9-n9gpFVpk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

JimWagner

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
If Hollywood's representations of the youth of 60's, 70's and 80's are an indication of how they represented other decades, then "Everything you know from the movies- is wrong!":eusa_doh:

No "if" about it.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
If Hollywood's representations of the youth of 60's, 70's and 80's are an indication of how they represented other decades, then "Everything you know from the movies- is wrong!":eusa_doh:

Ah, but Liquid Sky was as far from Hollywood as you could get. It was an independent (or, if you prefer, underground) flick made by Z Films, Inc. Hollywood wouldn't touch it.

It's still a stylized fantasy, sensationalist, over the top representation of the era bearing little relationship to actual life. Just what Hollywood always does when trying to represent an actual "scene" at the clubs. They tend to mix all sorts of genres of scenes and get it really wrong. In that time no visit to any club in Hollywood were anything like the movies with few exceptions.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
It's still a stylized fantasy, sensationalist, over the top representation of the era bearing little relationship to actual life.

It seems you weren't hanging around downtown L.A. at night, circa 1985. "Scream" underground goth club, followed by 2 a.m. piroshkis at "Gorky's" (now a flower shop, alas). It was Liquid Sky on earth. lol ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the point John is making -- and I agree with it -- is that Hollywood emphasises fringe subcultures at the expense of mainstream culture in depicting any given era. Most people in the 70s and '80s didn't live in LA or New York, didn't frequent clubs, and didn't wear outrageous clothes (there were no music-based-subcultures at all where I grew up, in fact), just as most people in the '60s had nothing to do with hippiedom, most people in the '50s weren't greasers, most people in the '40s didn't jitterbug or wear zoot suits, most people in the '30s weren't Young Communist Leaguers hopping freight trains, and most people in the '20s weren't sheiks and flappers. But you'd never know it from the way those eras all seem to be stereotyped in popular culture.

This isn't a new phenomenon, either -- in the mid-thirties there was a huge fad for a cheesy, romanticised version of the Gay 90s, where all the men wore handlebar moustaches and all the women were Gibson Girls. Nobody ever wants to remember workaday reality, it seems.

Marc Chevalier said:
It seems you weren't hanging around downtown L.A. at night, circa 1985. "Scream" underground goth club, followed by 2 a.m. piroshkis at "Gorky's" (now a flower shop, alas). It was Liquid Sky on earth. lol ;) .

Been there done that. Mostly hung out on the Strip and down by the Troubadour and the Rainbow then.

Even in LA and Hollywood where the rock clubs were it was not as shown in the movies. In the early 80's to mix Punk and metal crowds was a volitile mix not peacefully acheived until the late 80's and a sense of cross over was there, yet in film after film punk and metal was shown as the same club crowd when it was in the beginning very stratified, very separate.

A lot of music was very pigeon holed. At a certain point bands like Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeath and others had achieved that reach across the gulf offering that did a lot to bring those groups closer than before.

The film industry always portrayed the most outrageous looks and behavior as ubiquitous in this era when it clearly was not.

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Even in LA and Hollywood where the rock clubs were it was not as shown in the movies. In the early 80's to mix Punk and metal crowds was a volitile mix not peacefully acheived until the late 80's and a sense of cross over was there, yet in film after film punk and metal was shown as the same club crowd when it was in the beginning very stratified, very separate.

A lot of music was very pigeon holed. At a certain point bands like Motorhead, Metallica, Megadeath and others had achieved that reach across the gulf offering that did a lot to bring those groups closer than before.

The film industry always portrayed the most outrageous looks and behavior as ubiquitous in this era when it clearly was not.

Generally I agree with what you say about Hollywood films and inaccurate subcultural histories. However I enjoy Liquid Sky, but I mean, I don't think it doesn't characterize the 80s at all. it is strongly characteristic of independent avant-garde 80s film-making, which as you pointed out is overly theatrical, sensationalist, and fantasy-based. If their goal was to accurately depict what life was like for most young people in the 1980s, clearly a massive failure! Luckily for Slava Tsukerman, this was mostly about sex and aliens

But also it's about new wavers, isn't it? also about sex + aliens, in my estimation. I mean there's definite thematic overlap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany