Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is your favorite G-1?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
This most likely has been asked and answered here...what about G&B? I like their A-2 so well that a G-1 is being considered. The question is size. My A-2 is a 42R and is a perfect fit. Reading that many had to downsize their G&B jacket, does that imply that a size 40R needs to be ordered? I can wear a size M in many jackets. A number of my size L coats are simply overly roomy. But, I did not know better when they were purchased.
The quality of G&B is first class. What say you?

simon jacket man

Familiar Face
Very nice. Had not looked at the "100 Mission" version.
A Pritzker & Sons 55J14
bb7846f973fa672370cab5d58d030392.jpg
61e3a9888e248fba7b358abda5e8bb22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Pritzker & Sons 55J14
bb7846f973fa672370cab5d58d030392.jpg
61e3a9888e248fba7b358abda5e8bb22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon jacket man

Familiar Face
I have owned 2 Pritzker 55J14 g1,s a size 42 and a size 44 both I great condition and size 42 had a sort of greenish lining .The 44 and friend now owns a bit big on me wish i'd kept the size 42.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Tex,

If G+Bs are still the same since they went to "by order", they are beautiful jackets, but roomy around the middle. I tried sizing down, but could not find the right ratio of shoulders to waist.

If you are a svelte, I think you would have a bit of an issue.

What size are you by the way?

In modern jackets (modernish), I have three that fit pretty well.

Steve's repro HL Block. He really managed a good fitting jacket

5b9317c71c077dd091cdae9dc8250658.jpg

The ELC is also a great fit with broad shoulders and a tapered waist

7ba3de503b554d7d786d0935268268fa.jpg

And then, one I'd definitely recommend if you come across it, the Cooper. A little short and not the luxurious leather of the others, but breaking in well and an issued maker at some point.

fca29a0fd8554ca05d19f28e549fe784.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
My favourite current manufacturer G1 is my Eastman 55J14, superb goatskin, excellent fit, very well constructed.

At $1000, it looks to be very nice. But more than I care to invest in a jacket.

My size is 41 or 42R, being 5' 11' and 178-182 pounds. My Cockpit G-1 (42R) was a good fit (sold), although just a bit snug. The Cockpit 40R A-2 fit me perfectly, and Jacky (Mrs. Cockpit) advised the G-1 in a 42 would fit just fine.

My G&B A-2, 42R, fits really nice through the chest, shoulders and sleeves. But...it does have a bit of extra room in the waist area.

Last edited:

simon jacket man

Familiar Face
I'
Tex,

If G+Bs are still the same since they went to "by order", they are beautiful jackets, but roomy around the middle. I tried sizing down, but could not find the right ratio of shoulders to waist.

And then, one I'd definitely recommend if you come across it, the Cooper. A little short and not the luxurious leather of the others, but breaking in well and an issued maker at some point.

I'm a size 42 in most G1's but I have had 44's that fit too.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Tex,

Great jacket...great fit...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Eastman (size 46) fitted well in the shoulders & waist but came up a bit snug in the chest & too long in the sleeves.

My Star Sportwear 48 fitted everywhere except the shoulders (too narrow).

Tried some unknown (no label) 48 service issue gamble...horrible piece of hide & terrible drape.

All the above were moved on: Went down the custom route next with Wested Leather & had them build me a USN G-1 / M-422A hybrid with A-2 knits (brick red). Goat hide was supplied by Wested & I sourced everything else including the NOS G-1 zipper; result was great really nice & a good fit generally (leather pulls slightly across the chest last few zipper inches).

Having been encouraged by the Wested project I continued custom with Steve S (who sometimes hangs out around here). Steve built me a lovely goat ANJ-3 that's currently undergoing 'break-in'. Steve's work is highly recommended, I have further ideas about jackets I'd like Steve to make.

Currently on the look out for another service issue G-1 :)

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
My Eastman (size 46) fitted well in the shoulders & waist but came up a bit snug in the chest & too long in the sleeves.

My Star Sportwear 48 fitted everywhere except the shoulders (too narrow).

Tried some unknown (no label) 48 service issue gamble...horrible piece of hide & terrible drape.

All the above were moved on: Went down the custom route next with Wested Leather & had them build me a USN G-1 / M-422A hybrid with A-2 knits (brick red). Goat hide was supplied by Wested & I sourced everything else including the NOS G-1 zipper; result was great really nice & a good fit generally (leather pulls slightly across the chest last few zipper inches).

Having been encouraged by the Wested project I continued custom with Steve S (who sometimes hangs out around here). Steve built me a lovely goat ANJ-3 that's currently undergoing 'break-in'. Steve's work is highly recommended, I have further ideas about jackets I'd like Steve to make.

Currently on the look out for another service issue G-1 :)
Selling mine from 1963 in Mint condition, listed in "Classified".

Marv

A-List Customer
At $1000, it looks to be very nice. But more than I care to invest in a jacket.

My size is 41 or 42R, being 5' 11' and 178-182 pounds. My Cockpit G-1 (42R) was a good fit (sold), although just a bit snug. The Cockpit 40R A-2 fit me perfectly, and Jacky (Mrs. Cockpit) advised the G-1 in a 42 would fit just fine.

My G&B A-2, 42R, fits really nice through the chest, shoulders and sleeves. But...it does have a bit of extra room in the waist area.

I have to agree, with the current ELC prices for A2s & G1s I think anything new would be out of my price range. Most of my current G1 purchases have been originals at a fraction of the cost and make great daily wearers.
The G1 that gets the most overall use is my 1971 Brill Bros D series size 46", such a great jacket and even though it has the Dynal collar, the goatskin is just fantastic.

As for my ELC G1, it's one of the older models (in mint condition) which I picked up off ebay about 10 years ago for the costly sum of £50 plus postage, I honestly think that the seller didn't know what she had.

That was probably my all time best deal on a second hand jacket.

ELC 55J14 G1 (46")

1971 Brill Bros D series (46")

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Other than designating mouton vs dynal with a contract, do the two feel distinctively different to the touch? I have had older Navy jackets with real mouton but am sitting on a D-series Star G-1 from 1970 with a "coarse" feeling collar, not too much different than a 50s LW Foster I owned. Is it regular mouton or did they switch to dynal in '70?

The BK 22a I briefly had had a collar softer than dog's fur. That thing was nice.

Marv

A-List Customer
I have a mint 1950's LW Foster where the mouton is just beautiful, so soft in a lovely auburn colour, no tight or curly and a totally different look & feel to my 1969 Martin Lane which is faded to a lovely golden colour which is slightly, curly look & feel to it.

Also you can see the various degrees of fading on the inside of the collar from the original auburn colour to it's current golden shade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner