Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Whipped' by Our Wives?

celtic

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Are you and I married to identical twins? lol

I, however, have to care ... because the situation could lead to her parting ways with me.

Marc,

Obviuosly I don't know your situation.

I DO, however, know that my wife would give me anything she had to make me happy.

I know that if we could afford the Taj Mahal and I wanted it, she would try to get it for me.

Perhaps that's why I don't feel whipped. I know that she doesn't gripe about my purchases simply to be a nag...she knows what we make and what we pay out every month. She wants us both to be happy and live within our means.

We both have each other's best interests at heart.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
YES! any man who has a good eye for finding his wife clothes...

especially vintage is a keeper!

celtic said:
And actually I buy or help her buy her vintage clothes..which she loves. Just this past weekend I came home with 2 dress shirts for me; and 3 sport jackets, one skirt suit and a tartan skirt for her from the thrift store...
And whenever she needs something new she takes me to the store to help her find something. She always tells me the compliments she gets when she wears something I picked out for her.

Am I whipped? I really don't give a rat's..

I don't spend too much time worrying about how others peceive me.

I just try to live in a way that makes me happy.

Cheers!

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
The sweet deal.

We have an excellent system set up.
My Mr. has what I like to call "Boy Eyes". That is, when he goes looking something of his he has misplaced, for something he can never find it. (This is because he is a human hurricane.) I can then turn around and find it in a heart beat. So the deal is this. When he can't find his things and needs me to look, if I find them I get to spend the replacement value of said item. This happened as he is rather lazy with putting things back, and then would just go out a buy a new one. Books, tools, clothes, you name it! The new system is working nicely as it is helping him to value his possessions a little more and creating a tidy balance for me!

der schneider

One of the Regulars
I bought a vintage motorcycle with side car for our anniversary last year.

Maybe I should have bought diamonds.

The kids like it but she hasnt ridden in it yet.

I told her we should take the test together for the motorcycle endorsment.

she'll come around when it gets warmer.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
Marital subterfuge

I have an ok collection of hats, 29, I just counted. They range from a Russian troopers hat , a couple of leathers, a greek fisherman's hat, several ebay and thrift store acquisitions, a handful of western conversions , to a few VS hats. My wife, saintly woman that she is, has been fairly tolerant of my obsession. I think she considers it part of my mid-life crisis. There are lots worse things a guy can turn to for distraction so she doesn't say much, often. She is , however, somewhat less tolerant of the financial drain my distraction presents. I was recently sitting upon the thinking seat when a realization occured to me. In my process of purchasing a new hat and trying to decide when I've had it long enough to risk wearing it where my wife will see it the first time, I've noticed an interesting trend. If I purchase a hat that is similar in style and color to other hats I already have I can wear it almost immediately and my saintly spouse barely takes notice, if at all. Case in point. Yesterday I received my first Borsalino, ( pics to follow when my camera issues are resolved). It is, what I call, a medium dusty green or olive color. I have a couple of other hats that are roughly in that same color scheme. Therefore I was able to wear this hat all day the first day I got it and she did not notice :D In contrast, however, a couple of months ago I purchased an open road styled Banderas hat that is a nearly white cream color with 3 inch brim and not like anything else I own. I've only worn it once or twice and she was not around to see it. She walked into my closet, where I keep all my hats on hooks or stands, the other day and immediately exclaimed, " WHERE did you get THAT !! " , as she pointed at my, by now, several month old cream colored Banderas hat :eek: I had to explain that I got it when I was buying the hat I got for our son-in-law and it was a good buy, which it was, $22.00, and I can't just buy a hat for someone else without looking for one myself also, right ?

So the question is , for those of us out there who feel it is necessary to practice some form of subterfuge to keep our saintly spouses from discovering the true cost and frequency of this hobby of ours ;) , does anyone have any other ideas that might work any better :D ?

Whipped

Boy`s must have their toys!Yes I do lie to the wife about most of my purchases,the response from her when she see`s something"new"in the house is you need another guitar?how many watches can you wear,another gun,but she must have 40 pair of shoes in the closest,thats OK.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I saw a reference on an earlier page of a motorcycle purchase not going over with the wife. It reminded me of a reprinted classified ad I once saw in a funnies section of an auto magazine. To paraphrase (closely):

"For Sale: 2005 (some brand and model) motorcycle. Brand new. Only 400 miles. Must sacrifice sell for (some price) to restore relations with my 'loving wife'. Apparently, "Do whatever you want", doesn't mean what I thought it did.

:D

Edward

Bartender
SuperKawaiiMama said:
We have an excellent system set up.
My Mr. has what I like to call "Boy Eyes".

I read somewhere that that is an evolutionary thing.... way back in the Neolithic era (prior to the development of farming in the Mesolithic age), when we were hunter-gatherers, the men spent their time hunting, while the women did the gathering of the berries and so on. The result, this theory runs, is that while men are great with a moving target, so to speak, we often miss thnigs that are right in front of us, whereas women are very quickly able to process 'still' visual information and pick out what they want from the overall 'picture'. I can't speak as to the veracity of that theory, but I certainly have many times over seen this difference in modern men and women first hand.

Foofoogal

Banned
Sounds reasonable to me. You should see me running thru a fleamarket and doing a quick scan for treasures. lol
A place for everything and everything in its place. I don't think honey could find anything if not for me. One time I told them at the bank if he ever had to sign his paycheck they would think he was a forger. lol
I am his secretary deluxe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner