Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Aether, I bought a fantastic white rollneck submarine sweater from Silverman's last winter. Great quality wool and construction. Great fit all around. Long body, sleeves fit right. You should checkout one of theirs. I'll dig up a photo and post it later.

I Agree, I forgot about Silverman's which is daft as one of my white rollnecks as mentioned above, from them and it is fine. They are based in East London UK. Steve.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thanks for all the info Steve, I appreciate it.

I spoke to Outdoor Knitwear today and they agreed that I should go for the next size up. I was really impressed by the quality of the sweater so I've sent it back for exchange. Will definitely have to check out Grand Prix Legends, and once my bike is back in one piece I'll swing by the Ace Cafe too. Might even wear my new Submariner!

Nick

I called by the ACE Cafe in the summer one lunchtime, although I am not really into bikes in a big way, it was great to visit with it's history, merchandise and a great atmoshere, plus a good range of food a drink. They were playing some good rock and heavy metal music too. Steve.

Corto

A-List Customer
raf2.jpg

This is my rollneck from Silverman's. This is a heavy duty sweater. In this photo I tucked the hem up to waist level. But when I'm hiking outside in winter, I wear it at full length for the extra coverage. Great sweater. Very warm, very rugged. This one has put up with a lot of abuse.

Last edited:

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Hi Chaps,

Just received my Submariner sweater from Outdoorknitwear and I'm very impressed by it. Nice durable wool, very well put together, and from reading through the thread it seems to have all of the correct features - reinforced shoulder, deep cuffs and welt etc.

However, I'm a little concerned about the fit of the sleeves and wondered if they're meant to be so short?

I'm in between their small(38") and medium (42") and wanted to have a snug fit to wear under a bike jacket, but do you think it's too small? Or is this how they're cut?

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks

Pics:
photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

I recently received one of these in blue size small ( I'm a 38 inch chest) and the first thing I noticed was that the sleeves were shorter than my British Army surplus sweater. The Army sweater allows me to roll up the whole cuff, whereas the Outdoor Knitwear does not. But it still fits me.
Do let us know what they tell you.

John

Aether

One of the Regulars
Just a quick update.

Yesterday I sent my Sweater back to Outdoor Knitwear, then this afternoon I got an email and then a call from them saying that they'd hate for me to have a sweater that didn't fit so they'd make me a one-off (slim body and long sleeves) "no problem at all", and they'd have it sent out by early next week!

I'd like to point out that all I did was send the sweater back and ask for the next size up, so to go to these extra lengths to make sure they've got a happy customer is to be applauded. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the service and fantastic product and would heartily recommend Outdoor Knitwear.

BTW I've got nothing to do with them but just wanted to give credit where it's due.

Nick

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
I recently received one of these in blue size small ( I'm a 38 inch chest) and the first thing I noticed was that the sleeves were shorter than my British Army surplus sweater. The Army sweater allows me to roll up the whole cuff, whereas the Outdoor Knitwear does not. But it still fits me.
Do let us know what they tell you.

John

John,

They told me that they make them to MOD specs - which was a fairly old pattern - and that they're meant to be worn without a turned-back cuff. I didn't ask why, but I'd imagine it's more functional that way as there's less fabric to get in the way? Personally I want the sleeves like that so they'll fit under a slim fitting bike jacket without being too bulky.

Corto

A-List Customer
Just a quick update.

Yesterday I sent my Sweater back to Outdoor Knitwear, then this afternoon I got an email and then a call from them saying that they'd hate for me to have a sweater that didn't fit so they'd make me a one-off (slim body and long sleeves) "no problem at all", and they'd have it sent out by early next week!

That's definitely the extra mile. Interesting also to hear that they make them to old MOD specs. I have a couple Woolly Pulleys from them that I love to death. They make great stuff.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
John,

They told me that they make them to MOD specs - which was a fairly old pattern - and that they're meant to be worn without a turned-back cuff. I didn't ask why, but I'd imagine it's more functional that way as there's less fabric to get in the way? Personally I want the sleeves like that so they'll fit under a slim fitting bike jacket without being too bulky.

Wow! What great service Aether.

I did notice that in the images for all their sweaters none of the models have the cuffs turned back. My arms are just a tad shorter than the average 6 footer. I always need to have my double cuff shirts shortened a bit.

I'm considering getting another of Outdoor Knitwears's sweaters. Either the 442 or 115 style.

Shoot us a pic of the new roll neck when you receive it.

John

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
That is really great service, it just shows that some firms are still prepared to go the extra mile to give satisfaction. I certainly plan to use them again.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Wow! What great service Aether.

I did notice that in the images for all their sweaters none of the models have the cuffs turned back. My arms are just a tad shorter than the average 6 footer. I always need to have my double cuff shirts shortened a bit.

I'm considering getting another of Outdoor Knitwears's sweaters. Either the 442 or 115 style.

Shoot us a pic of the new roll neck when you receive it.

John

I bought their 115 style a few years ago, I still have it and wear it a good deal, again it is another great sweater, snug and warm.

Whithead

Familiar Face
I got my blue version from outdoorknitwear a couple days ago and couldn't be happier.

I usuall take a 48 or 50 Long and was worried about the sleeves as most things I buy are too short...but this fit great - I can even double the cuffs back a couple inches.

It is really long in the body but fits great everywhere else....I just fold the bottom up under a bit...:)

I am going to order the natural colored one ASAP.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Just a quick update.

I'd like to point out that all I did was send the sweater back and ask for the next size up, so to go to these extra lengths to make sure they've got a happy customer is to be applauded. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the service and fantastic product and would heartily recommend Outdoor Knitwear.

BTW I've got nothing to do with them but just wanted to give credit where it's due.

Nick

Good Evening Aether, Did you get the new Sub Roll neck back OK from outdoor knitwear? is it OK? Rgds Steve.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
If anyone is interested, the Outdoor Knitwear website, as well as selling these White (& Navy) Roll Neck Sweaters, now has a new section for nautical themed men's knitwear, under Niffi Nautical, they certainly look great sweaters.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I saw a couple of chaps wearing these white sub roll necks in our local high street a few days ago, not surprising as we are having some chilly weather at the moment. They looked good. I was in mine at the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24