Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Alan Eardley said:
A regular supplier of these in Exeter now reports 'no more', alas. Plenty of 1950 pattern aertex and KD tropical kit left, though...

Alan

That's a shame. Please keep 'not looking', if you get the chance. I haven't seen any in Cambridge or the few places in London I've visited.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Alan- any idea what they have, in the:
"Plenty of 1950 pattern aertex and KD tropical kit"
???????????????????????????????????????????????

B
T

BT,

Yep, sorted through it myself. Three crates, 1950 Pattern KD and JG Aertex jackets (four pocket, fixed belt), KD and JG Aertex shirts (two and four pocket, short and long sleeve). All in small and extra small sizes. Some in Grade 1 and a few in Supergrade. Non unissued.

Also two crates of green cadet smocks windproof, all in small and extra small sizes.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Shame about the sizes...

B
T

Many of the short sleeve shirts (1950 Pattern Size 2 and 3) fit me. All would fit BK.

I bought a pair of cross-belted KD long trousers (no FFD pocket) in VGC. A tenner and I had to force it on the guy.

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yeh- that's the one.
Shame about the price.
When I was living in LondonI used to visit Silverman's weekly.
Mile End was one of my calls.

They used to have a lot of old gear but the prices were always big.

And down the road, to The Blind Beggar, for a Pint.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I have re-established a source of what I am assured is the genuine RN surplus item in three sizes, but they are 50GBP. Until I have handled one myself I won't confirm them as genuine. I wouldn't pay that for one, personally.

Alan

JG

New in Town
Silverman's Submariner Sweater

Hello,

I had my girlfriend pickup a submariner sweater from Silverman’s when she was in England over the holidays. With the exchange and shipping to her parents’ home in the south of England, it cost me $118 Canadian. (About on par with the $US these days).

In my opinion, it is worth the money. It seems very well made, very warm and, since it has not gone out of style in the last 60 or 70 years, I expect to be wearing it for many years to come. I couldn’t find anything comparable in Canada, surplus or otherwise. Of course, there may be a greater selection in Europe. In the end, I think, you get what you pay for.

The sizing is quite large, though so don’t order one too much bigger than your regular size. Also fits long through the body. Understand they’re made this way intentionally to keep navy men’s (and women’s, of course) backsides warm at sea. I wear it with the knit waist band a little lower than my belt and let the excess sort of bag over the top. A nice casual look of which my girlfriend seems to approve. Even gotten some positive comments from my male buddies, which is saying something considering the bunch of Visigoths I chum around with.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Jim

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
They sell on OFAS. A guy assures me that they are genuine issue, but not having examined one personally, I can't vouch for this. I have bought quite a bit of gear from them and always been happy.

Alan

Spitfire said:
I know a lot has been said about RN sweaters and the RAF frock...but here is a RN type for those looking for one:

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/docs/topframe.htm

Just thought I would bring it on.
£49,99. You will find it under Vintage Military Kit - page 2.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BT

Did you manage to find their crate of Smocks, Windproof and the trousers to go with them?

Alan

BellyTank said:
Yeh- that's the one.
Shame about the price.
When I was living in LondonI used to visit Silverman's weekly.
Mile End was one of my calls.

They used to have a lot of old gear but the prices were always big.

And down the road, to The Blind Beggar, for a Pint.

B
T

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Speedster said:
Spitfire, that looks very much like this traditional Danish fisherman's sweater (also available in navy blue) which have been in production since 1931 in the same family owned business

temp_skyt.jpg

Just bought the navyblue one. Really nice, classic sweater.:D

Corto

A-List Customer
Marine sweater

I've also been looking for one of those RN submarine rollneck sweaters (I fell out of love with the one I bought from WPG)- but if you guys just want something nautical, rugged and warm, I suggest the Marine zip-neck sweater from Devold.

1951_lg.jpg

I've had one for about 6 years now.
It's highly practical, suitable for the coldest weather and I like the zip-neck (which is sufficiently high). I don't have to wear a scarf, and when I come in from outside I can unzip the neck- which you can't do with a turtleneck/rollneck.

A little pricey- but like I said, I've had mine for more than half a decade.
Check it out. http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo