Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Does Without TV?

Wells

Familiar Face
I have a TV, but I hate television, if you know what I mean.
I haven't watched cable or satellite for years now. "Channel surfing", I think, is the absolute worst pass time. Sit back and stare at commercials all day until your brain turns to mush. No thank you.
Movies or TV shows that I enjoy, I have on disc. Video games are slowly being weeded out of my life. (Yes, my avatar is from a video game, but he looks so great!)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have a TV, but I hate television, if you know what I mean.
I haven't watched cable or satellite for years now. "Channel surfing", I think, is the absolute worst pass time. Sit back and stare at commercials all day until your brain turns to mush. No thank you.
Movies or TV shows that I enjoy, I have on disc. Video games are slowly being weeded out of my life. (Yes, my avatar is from a video game, but he looks so great!)
You no longer need to watch commercials these day! I refuse to watch any thing that I do not record. Then, I just fast forward it through said commercials. Bonus, I watch less then an hour of TV on any given day!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I own a TV, but my use of it is little. I don't watch much TV, as I prefer to Internet, or read. I watch less than a handful of television shows, and I can play DVD's on my computer, so I don't see the use of even connecting my VHS/DVD and Blu-Ray players.

Wells

Familiar Face
You no longer need to watch commercials these day! I refuse to watch any thing that I do not record. Then, I just fast forward it through said commercials. Bonus, I watch less then an hour of TV on any given day!
Ah, yes. My mother was telling me about those. Nice to have that option. Though, I still avoid television. Nothing that truly grabs my attention and too much nonsense, haha!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
After years as a subscriber, I ended my Netflix subscription a few weeks ago. I enjoyed some terrific shows on it over the years--Firefly, The Dresden Files, Sanctuary, Death Note, and tons of classic movies--but they're focusing more on their own programs now, which generally don't interest me. Now I'm watching older shows and videos on Youtube. I'm enjoying Family (a drama from the mid-70s); oddly, I never noticed it in reruns over the years even though Kristy McNichol was the bee's knees when I was a kid. The show was a class act, something in short supply now.

^^^ "Family" and "Eight is Enough" were "competing" family dramas back then - as always, trends take off and networks are only too happy to make copycat shows. Also, as you said, McNichol's had a pretty big generational following back then.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's a show that completely dropped out of my memory -- but now that I think of it, I remember that it was considered rather controversial at the time for its "frankness," and was shown after 9pm in those days of the "family viewing hour" NAB code. It was a pretty bold show for its time, when families were still usually portrayed in a sticky-sweet manner, Norman Lear nonwithstanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy