Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Cary Grant or close?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
happyfilmluvguy said:
Hollywood actors of today cannot be any mirror image of what Hollywood actors were then. Even though they were high profiles in the media, the only reason they ever looked like movie stars was, what I think, the Hollywood studio system. Imagine actors being told what to do then, as now they run off as they please. An example of stardom without direction is those certain celebrities now that are shown in the media as superficial characters that have babies, get divorced, ger married, are involved in scandals, caught doing stupid things. A newspaper will treat you like a star when you treat yourself like one.
Ah, but keep this in mind, Grant wasn't part of the studio system. He was a trailblazer; when his contract expired, he didn't renew it. He was a free agent at a time that was unheard of. ;)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
Ah, but keep this in mind, Grant wasn't part of the studio system. He was a trailblazer; when his contract expired, he didn't renew it. He was a free agent at a time that was unheard of. ;)

He also knew how to treat himself with dignity ;)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Marc Chevalier said:
I was just thinking something funny. If we'd had this conversation in 1910, would we have been asking who is today's Edwin Booth or Jenny Lind? Probably. Which made me wonder how long it will take before Cary Grant is all but forgotten?

There were no films of the stage actors of the late 19th C. So, I would say, Grant will be with us forever. Plus, he is firmly rooted in the cultural consciousness.

Godfrey Park

Hemingway Jones said:

Ahhh, but while he wasn't bound and shackled to a studio by contract, he did have to play within the studio system in order to work.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
Grant will be with us forever. Plus, he is firmly rooted in the cultural consciousness.

Hmm ... I'm not convinced. When my parents and I moved to L.A. in 1972, Hollywood Blvd. was full of paraphernalia related to Charlie Chaplin, Clara Bow, and Laurel & Hardy, as well as Bruce Lee! The golden era was too "recent" to be memorialized back then, but not recent enough to be "hot". Imagine, even Marilyn Monroe wasn't well represented in the souvenir stores. Then, in the later '70s, Hollywood went mad over honoring '30s and '40s stars and films ... and the shops sold fewer and fewer Charlie Chaplin statues. Today, practically nothing is left in Hollywood gift shops to remind us of the golden era, let alone the silent film days.

I suspect that every actor has a shelf life, no matter how long his/her films are available for viewing.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Cary Grant

Cary Grant AKA the Mount Rushmore of mens fashion. Its how he wore what he wore. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regarding this mug George C. :eusa_doh: his Aunt had more class than he ever will.

sc :rolleyes:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
Hmm ... I'm not convinced. When my parents and I moved to L.A. in 1972, Hollywood Blvd. was full of paraphernalia related to Charlie Chaplin, Clara Bow, and Laurel & Hardy, as well as Bruce Lee! The golden era was too "recent" to be memorialized back then, but not recent enough to be "hot". Imagine, even Marilyn Monroe wasn't well represented in the souvenir stores. Then, in the later '70s, Hollywood went mad over honoring '30s and '40s stars and films ... and the shops sold fewer and fewer Charlie Chaplin statues. Today, practically nothing is left in Hollywood gift shops to remind us of the golden era, let alone the silent film days.

I suspect that every actor has a shelf life, no matter how long his/her films are available for viewing.

Hollywood tchotchke stores are not a reliable barometer as to the cultural relevancy of an icon.

If anything, these stars have become ubiquitous. It used to be that only TCM showed classic films. Recently, STARZ continues to play "To Catch a Thief" and "Anatomy of a Murder" during prime time as well as other films. A new classic film channel has appeared on ComCast: RetroPlex and FMC has started playing classic films more often than not. Biographies of classic era stars continue to appear on the bookshelves and media continues to borrow images, not to mention all of those relentless remakes leading to renewed interests in their classic source films.

Feraud

Bartender
So who today is our Cary Grant? William H. Macy, Denzel Washington, Ralph Fiennes? Who has the perfect combination of looks, clothes, manners, politics, sexuality, etc.? The discussion makes me wonder if "class" is a put on, or pretense. Anyone can dress well, and display manners but who really holds up under the spotlight.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Close

I might nominate Damian Lewis, who seems cut from good
English acting stock; however, I am unfamiliar with his off screen
sartorial standards. Still, he seems to fit the bill.

Godfrey Park

Hemingway Jones said:
Well, how else did "Walk, Don't Run" get made? [huh] lol

Yes, they begged him to come out of retirement to make the poor remake of The More the Merrier where he plays the Charles Coburn matchmaking character, but I would surmise the previous years of his contract free career were spent adhering to studio rules while working for them.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
Every actor isn't Buster Keaton.

True ... but when I was a kid, other kids actually recognized Buster Keaton. Heck, you could still see Keaton films -- butchered and faded as they were -- on Saturday afternoon TV. Today, what average kid knows about Keaton? (And I don't mean the ones whose parents are glued to TCM. As I imagine I will be!)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
True ... but when I was a kid, other kids actually recognized Buster Keaton. Heck, you could still see Keaton films -- butchered and faded as they were -- on Saturday afternoon TV. Today, what average kid knows about Keaton?

I don't want to get too far off track, but some star's careers ebb and flow, even after death. I worry about Buster Crabbe. He was my hero. I doubt those old "Tarzan, Buck Rogers, and Flash Gordon" serials are still being played. Boy, I wish they were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart