Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Cary Grant or close?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hem, I imagine that from now into the far future, old film actors will be "rediscovered" periodically, just as artists and writers have been for centuries. As long as there are dissertations to be written and documentaries to be made, people will be rediscovered. Here's hoping that they'll be appreciated by more than just scholars.

Godfrey Park

Hemingway Jones said:
I don't want to get too far off track, but some star's careers ebb and flow, even after death. I worry about Buster Crabbe. He was my hero. I doubt those old "Tarzan, Buck Rogers, and Flash Gordon" serials are still being played. Boy, I wish they were.

I believe the Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serials are available on DVD.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My point is this: the further away we get from the era of, say, Cary Grant, the more alien that era will seem. Grant's clothes, manner of speech, and even the English he spoke will become harder and harder for folks to relate to. Eventually, only a relatively academic audience (able to understand and "dig" 20th century English) will watch Grant's films. The very difficulty of relating to them will raise those movies to rarified heights. How many people appreciate Congreve's plays these days, versus the multitudes who praised them in the 17th century?

I give Cary Grant 100 more years of mass appreciation, tops. ;)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree, Marc

Even the greatest 'pop' culture icons - Elvis, Marilyn, James Dean, will all one day fade. Imagine three centuries from now - what will the music be like? What will common ethics be like, world politics, people's dress sense? Unimaginable.

I would imagine, however, that, like music, so much of modern culture is devolving at such a fast rate (as a radio programmer friend of mine recently said, if pop music keeps simplifying at the current rate, the new songs of 2015 will simply be one bland note being repeated continuously for four and a half minutes!), a renaissance of more complex styles of dress, music, and even behaviour is bound to occur at some stage.

There is no modern equivalent to Cary Grant. As has been pointed out, the studio system of old, along with the ideals of society in the golden Era, was too different to what we have today.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
True ... but when I was a kid, other kids actually recognized Buster Keaton. Heck, you could still see Keaton films -- butchered and faded as they were -- on Saturday afternoon TV. Today, what average kid knows about Keaton? (And I don't mean the ones whose parents are glued to TCM. As I imagine I will be!)

A little example to this, on Hollywood Blvd, in front of the once Hollywood Entertainment Museum, and the Knitting Factory, near I believe Orange St, there are two bronze statues in front. One is Charlie Chaplin against a wall portraying his character in "The Kid", and another of Buster Keaton at a film camera, with a button on his chest that says "Buster Keaton". Charlie Chaplin does not have a button.

But back on topic. I agree that no living soul could ever match to the image and class that is Cary Grant. George Clooney may look like him, and from what it looks like he is trying to be a fashion icon in Cary Grants shadow, there will always be something missing from anyone who could be another anyone. Them themselves. One Cary Grant, and one only. But for anyone who is showing a sense of class like Cary Grant did, I can't think of anyone. :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Funny how few people talk about Henry Fonda anymore. His star seems to have faded a bit. Why? I mean, look at his roles: Tom Joad, Mr. Roberts, the brave juror in Twelve Angry Men. I don't think I've ever heard his name mentioned once in the Lounge.

I'll go start a thread on him.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
There is no modern Cary Grant. No Clark Gable, no William Powell, no John Wayne - no Bogart.

I've heard Hugh Grant compared to Cary. Would Cary be caught with a $20 hooker?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
Funny how few people talk about Henry Fonda anymore. His star seems to have faded a bit. Why? I mean, look at his roles: Tom Joad, Mr. Roberts, the brave juror in Twelve Angry Men. I don't think I've ever heard his name mentioned once in the Lounge.

When I am 80, I WILL be Norman Thayer Jr.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think he was in line or something, and he stepped up to a table and said "I'm Cary Grant." The person he was speaking to said "you don't look like Cary Grant." And Grant answered..

"Nobody does."

manton

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
There is no modern Cary Grant. No Clark Gable, no William Powell, no John Wayne - no Bogart.

Cary's hooker would cost at least $100.

Feraud

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:

:eusa_clap Bravo, nice pick! Grant gets all the kudos but some of his contemporaries were just as classy. David Niven, Fred Astaire, and Ray Milland also come to mind.

Is there no one today that fits the bill? What exactly is required? Good looks, certain film roles, single or married, doesn't show up in public without wearing his Sunday best?

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
I echo the sentiments of Marc and Scotrace...there will never be another Cary Grant. In my opinion, Cary Grant is in a class all by himself. Admittedly, I do admire the actor Colin Firth and enjoy many of his films but I agree that he lacks a certain "Je ne sais quoi".lol

moustache

Practically Family
An older Grant...

How about Sean Connery???For the older Cary Grant that is.
The younger Grant: Hmmmm. I like Jude Law. Colin Firth is good as well.

Really,there will never be another CG.

JD

GOK

One Too Many
Godfrey Park said:
I believe the Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serials are available on DVD.

They are and I have some of them :D

I liked Clooney in Solaris - but then I liked the film, full stop. I do think he generally comes across as charming (I loved him in O Brother) but I admit I know nothing of his private life, so couldn't comment. But then I don't know anything about Grant's life away from the cameras either.

scotrace said:

If he was, you can bet your life it would have been hushed up, so all we can really say is that we don't like to think of it being likely.

Did she really only charge $20? My goodness, talk about a lack of self respect! lol

Lady Day said:
He has been called the black Carry Grant.

Taye Diggs

LD

Who incidentally, played a character named Hemingway Jones in the 2005 film, Cake :D

lindylady

A-List Customer
scotrace said:

:eusa_clap I must agree with you. Even if we manage to find some individuals who remind us of these Golden Era stars, it is only because they are dressed like them for a premiere or for a period film. The attitudes and mannerisms of John Wayne, Bogart, and the like can never be replicated without coming off as dreadfully contrived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum