Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Cary Grant or close?

Hondo

One Too Many
Black Cary Grant?

Lady Day said:
He has been called the black Carry Grant.

Taye%20Diggs-17.jpg

Taye Diggs

LD

I don't know about Taye Diggs, I would think more like Delroy Lindo :eusa_clap

Hondo

One Too Many
scotrace said:
There is no modern Cary Grant. No Clark Gable, no William Powell, no John Wayne - no Bogart.

I've heard Hugh Grant compared to Cary. Would Cary be caught with a $20 hooker?

Thats correct, there isn't any Cary Grants today period. :)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Grant Clothes

My understanding Grant was the real clotheshorse himself with the back then quality not available today except @ mega $$$$.

SC :D

Cary Grant, it should be ILLEGAL to look that good :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
:eusa_clap I must agree with you. Even if we manage to find some individuals who remind us of these Golden Era stars, it is only because they are dressed like them for a premiere or for a period film. The attitudes and mannerisms of John Wayne, Bogart, and the like can never be replicated without coming off as dreadfully contrived.
Just a note on perspective so no one assumes "The Era" made the man or woman.

As much as I think actors like Grant, Fonda, and Bogey are "one of a kind" and irreplaceable, I give them credit as people/skilled actors and not the age they lived in. Our favorities of the old days liked to drink, fight, sleep around as much as our present day celebrities. Gloria Graham married her stepchild.

There are classy leading men and ladies today. Glenn Close, Angela Bassett, Meryl Streep, and Susan Sarandon are a few of the ladies that come to mind. Classy all the way. No one dresses to the "9's" when running to a Starbucks or deli. Many of our members have expressed a fondness for jeans and flip flops. Do we judge ourselves as without class because of our more relaxed attitudes about dress?

There are Grant-ish actors around today. The rose colored glasses could be clouding our vision. ;)

moustache

Practically Family
Very good!

Marc Chevalier said:
While not a Cary Grant type, Liam Neeson was smoooooth as Oskar Schindler in Schindler's List.

Neeson did a spectacular job in Schindler's List. One of my favourite movies of all time.Still under-rated in my opinion. Neeson has done a few crummy movies but always impresses me.He could act in a soup commercial and still exude class!

JD

moustache

Practically Family
yes,yes and hehe

Matt Deckard said:
I think Russell Crowe has presence and skill. He doesn't need the pollish

magic03.jpg

Antonio Bandaras Is getting cleaner as an actor... very pollished and he grabs the audience

banderas_antonio.jpg

Definately not Steve Buscemi!

imposters.jpg

Yes,oui and very funny lol

But one must admit:Steve Buscemi is good at what he does.The roles are usually just right!

JD

GOK

One Too Many
moustache said:
Yes,oui and very funny lol

But one must admit:Steve Buscemi is good at what he does.The roles are usually just right!

JD

Buscemi is a genius! But Crowe...is he not far too much of a thug to come anywhere close to Grant? Neeson? Aahh, a perfectly lovely man. Yes, I can see an amount of 'Grantitude' there. Craig? Not suave enough IMO but certainly gets the pulse racing (and thank you for the image, Joeri!).

Feraud said:
Just a note on perspective so no one assumes "The Era" made the man or woman.

Maybe not but it made the star. Hollywood went to great lengths to promote the image it wanted its stars to have. If they deviated from it, steps would be taken to ensure Joe Public didn't get wind of it. The result was that these stars appeared larger than life, perfect and inaccessible.

The man or woman beneath that veneer may have been very different but it was important that the adoring masses never got to hear about it. Which of course, is why scandals were so effective. None of us today want evidence that our heroes are in fact, flawed human beings and I suspect that back then, this was even more the case.

Movies were/are an escape - glamour in an often grey world. Movie stars had to represent that but they couldn't further the illusion if the public had nothing to look up to. The fact that people here have compared GE stars to those of today hints at this.

The Era may not have made the man or woman but I do believe it dictated the rules. Our attitudes today are far more relaxed and whilst this in itself may not give movie stars more latitude in their personal lives, it certainly allows the press to dish the dirt. Frankly I'm not interested in who is sleeping with who, whether someone has penchant for ladies of the night, nor any of the myriad tidbits of gossip that is bandied around. What I am concerned with is how well a person does their job, i.e. of making me believe in the part they are playing. It's highly unlikely I am ever going to get to meet most movie stars/actors that I am fond of, so do I really need to be privy to the sordid details of their lives? I don't think so.

Leaving that tangent behind and getting back on track, I suspect the reason we don't have a Cary Grant today is because simply, we no longer have a golden era. The best we can hope for is 'Grantitude'!

Roger

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
George Clooney has very little class. He is arrogant, self righteous, self-aggrandizing, opinionated, only well dressed when dressed for promo shots (caught by the paparazzi and he is in jeans and t-shirts, always), and let's face it, he makes bad and now pretentious movies.

Cary Grant was polished, urbane, sophisticated, graceful. He had humility and poise. He was private, dashing, and charming. He made classic films with an insouciant skill.

The only thing they have in common is hair color and that they are both handsome.

Bravo.:eusa_clap I agree 100%. A stuffed monkey is more gracious than George Clooney.

Feraud

Bartender
GOK said:
Maybe not but it made the star. Hollywood went to great lengths to promote the image it wanted its stars to have. If they deviated from it, steps would be taken to ensure Joe Public didn't get wind of it. The result was that these stars appeared larger than life, perfect and inaccessible.

The man or woman beneath that veneer may have been very different but it was important that the adoring masses never got to hear about it. Which of course, is why scandals were so effective. None of us today want evidence that our heroes are in fact, flawed human beings and I suspect that back then, this was even more the case.

Movies were/are an escape - glamour in an often grey world. Movie stars had to represent that but they couldn't further the illusion if the public had nothing to look up to. The fact that people here have compared GE stars to those of today hints at this.

The Era may not have made the man or woman but I do believe it dictated the rules.
I agree! What I tried to get across was that people are people no matter what era. You are absolutely correct that Hollywood's influence contributed to "star power".

How about Gabriel Byrne? I like his style.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's commendable that it took 75 posts before CG's sexuality was cited.

Jack Scorpion said:
Well, Cary Grant was reportedly gay, so how about Rupert Everett, a gay romantic lead? British, too.

:rolleyes:

GOK

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
It's commendable that it took 75 posts before CG's sexuality was cited.

I personally didn't think it was relevant - does it matter what someone's sexual proclivities are? Assuming it's nothing to do with children, animals or corpses, that is. [huh]

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Cary Grant was not gay; it was all vicious rumor and innuendo. But sexuality should be taken out of the equation, so I must say that Rupert Everett had enormous potential to be this sort of star. He has charisma, style, good looks, and impeccable clothes, but, maybe it was that Madonna movie that did him in, but he could never get his career together. He does make an excellent Sherlock Holmes.

GOK

One Too Many
I'm not familiar with that Madonna movie, Jones - what one was it?

Have you seen him opposite Colin Firth in The Importance of Being Earnest? I adore him in that. I also really liked him To Kill a King, An Ideal Husband, Midsummer Night's Dream and Dellamorte, Dellamore. I agree with you regarding Holmes - in fact, he has always reminded me of a young Jeremy Brett (who IMO, was the perfect Holmes).

As for dress, he's been voted Best Dressed Man several times and is a style icon in Italy. As you may have guessed, I'm a bit of an Everett fan! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum