Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is today's Cary Grant or close?

Feraud

Bartender
Here is the problem with comparing qualities like class and charm.
What traits do we include or exclude?
Someone mentioned Hugh Grant. Certainly a charming actor if you ask many women. Do we exclude him because he was with a hooker?
Some time ago someone posted an article that cited Jimmy Stewart had to visit prostitutes to prove to the studio he was not gay. Technically, Jimmy Stewart was with a prositute.
If we exclude Hugh Grant , do we also knock Stewart off the list of classy, charming, or wonderful guys? I understand the question is strictly about a modern day Cary Grant and Stewart was a peer. I see a definite connection among the various threads that have been discussed lately.
I do not have an answer but am just thinking out loud...

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

GOK said:
I'm not familiar with that Madonna movie, Jones - what one was it?
Something to do with her bearing his child. I could go look on IMDB, but I am afraid it may remind me too much of the film and I would rather purge it from my mind.
GOK said:
Have you seen him opposite Colin Firth in The Importance of Being Earnest? I adore him in that. I also really liked him To Kill a King, An Ideal Husband, Midsummer Night's Dream and Dellamorte, Dellamore. I agree with you regarding Holmes - in fact, he has always reminded me of a young Jeremy Brett (who IMO, was the perfect Holmes).

I agree with you on every point and observation. :)

GOK

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Something to do with her bearing his child. I could go look on IMDB, but I am afraid it may remind me too much of the film and I would rather purge it from my mind.

That bad eh? I shall trust your impeccable taste and not even bother with it then!

I agree with you on every point and observation. :)

:D

GOK

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I even liked, was it... "Cemetery Man?" An interesting cult film that was.

Aahh yes, that was Dellamorte Dellamore. I thought the ending was....tragic.

I'm pretty sure that was the one that elevated him to cult icon in Italy. The author of that story (Sclavi) had already used his face for his comic book character, Dylan Dog, so Everett seemed the ideal choice for Dellamorte.

pippo.jpg

nome6.jpg

http://www-en.sergiobonellieditore.it/dylan/servizi/autori.html

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Rupert Everett had enormous potential

I think what did him in is that he is slightly mad and more than a little self-destructive. He is often very good though. He was fantastic in Another Country, with Colin Firth. A lightly fictionalized account of the public school years of Guy Burgess and Kim Philby. Set in the 30s, it just might appeal to some FLoungers.

ANOTHER%20COUNTRY%201SH.jpg

Talking about some analogue today of some personality of the past seems just a little futile, doesn't it. Cary Grant's particular DNA is out of circulation, the world he was born into is long gone, and with it have gone Music Hall and Vaudeville, and the lascivious eye of Mae West. Everything that made him who he was is gone. They don't make movies like they used to and stars are marketed differently, and exposed differently and they are just completely different. If you like Cary Grant, why would you look for a pretender? Isn't one of them enough? Why be so greedy?

Cary grant had a chocolatey quality that you don't see/feel much anymore. that's the only way i can describe it. chocolatey. rich. too much and you'd feel a bit ill.

Perfectly put. His mugging Cary Grantness often distracts from a movie,though sometimes a little chocolate coating can make anything tastier. Charade, Father Goose, even North by North West and To Catch a Theif would be much less interesting, even completely awful, or unmade, without Cary Grant.

GOK

One Too Many
A friend of a friend was sitting in front of Spacey at Ronnie Scott's a few weeks ago and claimed he was all; "Oohh me, me - look, I'm famous. I'm Kevin Spacey. Worship me."

I don't believe a word of it! I think she was just miffed that his preferences lie in other directions! lol I like Spacey - he was brilliant as Bobby Darin.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
None can compare...

Like they said, there's only one Cary Grant. It doesn't matter if it was real or not, the persona he radiated was magnificent and special.
I heard last year or so that Clive Owen was being considered at the time to be the next James Bond. I think he has potential.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
JACK BLACK

Jack Black THESPIAN OF THE CENTURY :eusa_doh: His reading of cue cards in Kong Kong brought me to tears of emotion :p

SC :eek:

PS MR. BLACK (WELL sic) is like a lemon-lime Fizzie from the 1950's
left in his aluminum foil wrapper too long!!!!

PSS Anti-Cary Grant, NO not even anti Hugh Grant how about anti- Acid???

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Spacey reminds me of Richard Widmark.
Not even close. I'm a longtime Widmark fan, and we're just talking worlds apart. I mean, does Spacey have slightly demented ball-bearing-eyes and talk out of one side of his mouth in a metallic sarcastic mutter? Would Spacey have held up his end in Pickup On South Street? Or The Bedford Incident?

No, sorry, there ain't but the one Dick Widmark. My cousin used to sell him clothes in Connecticut. I have a story. One time Widmark happened in the store and a new girl was on the counter - just a kid. Widmark ran a tab in the store, so he says "I'm in here all the time. Just put these on my bill."

The girl - just a kid, remember - says "I'm sorry Sir, what's your name?"

He gives her that look – you know the one – and just walks right out of the store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters