Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is Welcome at The Fedora Lounge?

Geesie said:
I notice that you didn't put (DON'T CRITICIZE THOSE WHO DO) beside "Wear a hoodie/crocks/sweats/wife beater/blah blah?"
;)
Or on the various firearms options... (said as someone who doesn't hunt, but builds and keeps serious irons for serious situations--when the Zombie Uprising starts, we all know who's block you'll wish you were on!LOL)

Other than that quibble, well said, Scot.

While I'd say it's a pretty open crowd, one thing that does help is to have some type of interest in something or things vintage. I think that most people here originally stumbled across the Fedora Lounge while doing some type of search about something related to vintage. Others have a vintage interest and get invited by members to come and see this really cool website.

(As to politics, there are often backhanded political comments by the snide ones that need rebuffing. So in between the: who's more a purist threads and who's more vintage threads and who can come up with the best high hat condescending lecture in a thread, there is the rest of us. 99.8% of it tends to be really fun otherwise.)

Everybody gets at least a little soap box rant time now and again.

Feraud

Bartender
Mysterious Mose said:
In fact I think (authentic) Rap is a pretty traditional form of modern music. Not like the present day watered down stuff they dare to call C&W and R&B. I just wonder if it's something to discuss on a Golden Era-centered forum. Even Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly and some other 20's and 30's blues stuff ( that's where I feel Rap descends from)is very controversial.

The line from blues, jazz, r&b, soul, etc. connects directly to hip hop.
While many people find hip hop an abomination of music created by un-talented people I am sure we can find similar comments made about musicians back in the day that were not classically (read: Eurpoean) trained.

The more things change..:)

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Feraud said:
While many people find hip hop an abomination of music created by un-talented people I am sure we can find similar comments made about musicians back in the day that were not classically (read: Eurpoean) trained.

Absolutely. It's genuine Folk music, like it or not.
In retrospect: Imagine the terrific impact some of that 1920's incredibly hot jazz or raw blues must have had when people first heard it.:D
Hey, I'm not gonna discuss rap on the FL. Henry Thomas, anybody?

Chainsaw

Suspended
Tell me about the rabbit George!

Duh, O.K. boss.... (Bugs Bunny, Sorry I don't Have my Warner Brothers Bible here to give a proper quote)

Foofoogal

Banned
99.8% of it tends to be really fun otherwise.

I do agree.:eusa_clap I still think the gripe thread served a purpose to let off steam and took care of the need to have a soap box. (whatever it was called? bad day one?)

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Geesie said:
I notice that you didn't put (DON'T CRITICIZE THOSE WHO DO) beside "Wear a hoodie/crocks/sweats/wife beater/blah blah?"
;)

Billy (Jason Priestley) from "Tombstone":

"I'm sorry, sir, but we got to have some law."

In short, we are not definable. There are thousands from all corners of the globe here who talk, don't talk, lurk, read, gab, and they are all unique and may like or not like what you like. All are welcome.

Olson Johnson from "Blazing Saddles":

"But we don't want the Irish."

;)

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
But be aware that there are consequences from being a regular visitor. Even though I only occasionally drop by, I've gone from wearing nothing but t-shirts to mostly wearing shirts with buttons (my logo emblazoned t-shirts are now kept in a drawer and no longer take up valuable closet space), wearing proper hats (Fedoras and newsboy caps) instead of baseball-style caps, and I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans. I don't dress hard-core vintage, but I do dress with more style now. And I am more aware of how other people dress. The Fedora Lounge curse, if you will. And I've taken up pipe smoking. As the young folks say, "It's all good".

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
Tango Yankee said:
What??!!?!?! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to find that not everyone here is from the USA! :eek:

(This isn't the first time I've seen someone on a US-based forum forget the wonderfully global nature of the Internet! lol )

Cheers,
Tom

Wait, people live outside the US? Since when? :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Slate Shannon said:
But be aware that there are consequences from being a regular visitor. Even though I only occasionally drop by, I've gone from wearing nothing but t-shirts to mostly wearing shirts with buttons (my logo emblazoned t-shirts are now kept in a drawer and no longer take up valuable closet space), wearing proper hats (Fedoras and newsboy caps) instead of baseball-style caps, and I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of jeans. I don't dress hard-core vintage, but I do dress with more style now. And I am more aware of how other people dress. The Fedora Lounge curse, if you will. And I've taken up pipe smoking. As the young folks say, "It's all good".

Yes, many of us have fallen under "the curse." lol

rippy444

Familiar Face
who's welcome at the Fedora

Did you mention"Still has manners and respects others" Sounds like you have these qualities. RIP!

:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

I like John 3:16-"For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son. And who so ever believes in Him shall not perish, but have ever lasting Life"

Dated Guy

Familiar Face
'RAP', well, the reason it's in capital letters is, that a lady of dubious age lives nextdoor but one, and she plays 'RAP', soooo loudly, from 8.00 am until sunset, when her three, under five, kids go to bed. I feel so sorry for them, she cannot hear them screaming, we can though, she doesn't answer the door to anyone, gates are locked and bolted....I am usually fairly okay with noisy neighbours, but, this has got me down now after several months, it sounds just like someone banging in nails all day:(

Thinks : Shall I combat it with the 1812 overture finale, on the quadrophonic setup..????, then played through the bands P.A. system (1.5 KW) :D

Speedbird

A-List Customer
Catch her in the street one day and say your kids/grandkids like her music .... you want to buy them a CD for a birthday present and what would she recommend ... engage with her in a way that is non-threatening or judgemental .... she is probably lonely and desperate ... don't be patronising and don't be shocked if you get told to F*** off .... but it's worth a go in case she is just reaching out for someone to recognise she exists...

She will be shocked.. but you may be surprised too if you find a way to talk with her...

And if all else fails, there are three kids in the house that deserve something more than the 1812 Overture in retaliation....

Edward

Bartender
Hmmn..... now how did I end up here....??

While I'd say it's a pretty open crowd, one thing that does help is to have some type of interest in something or things vintage. I think that most people here originally stumbled across the Fedora Lounge while doing some type of search about something related to vintage. Others have a vintage interest and get invited by members to come and see this really cool website.

(As to politics, there are often backhanded political comments by the snide ones that need rebuffing. So in between the: who's more a purist threads and who's more vintage threads and who can come up with the best high hat condescending lecture in a thread, there is the rest of us. 99.8% of it tends to be really fun otherwise.)

Everybody gets at least a little soap box rant time now and again.

This is the internet, John. It's serious business.

Sometimes I think we can be in danger of being a little too self-congratulatory on our own civility round here - we certainly have our share of passive aggression. That said, I much prefer that to the open cesspool that are some forums. And for that matter, I've never seen quite the self-importance and snideness on here that has put me completely off even thinking about registering for a number of other vintage forums (mostly, it appeared, run by people who had either been asked to leave the FL or had otherwise taken offence that this was not the sort of place they wanted it to be. Never did understand that sort of attitude: the web's a big place - why waste your time on somewhere you didn't like when you can move on, and have somewhere new that is what you want?).

You know, for all my prejudice against rap and the associated culture surrounding it, I have to admit I was encouraged to think again when I realised that some of the people most likely to openly compliment my dress sense on the street were hip hop kids. I think in part this is down to the simple fact that they know what it is to put together a carefully constructed look, and they have an eye for detail. I'll tell you what, too - while casual hiphop style really does nothing for me, most of those boys when they do do the suit thing do it very well. If anyone is going to save the lounge suit for the mainstream as clothing of choice rather than office uniform, we might well find it's not us, but the hip hoppers....

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's a great list, but when I read lines in it like, "wears hoodies - welcome" and "into rap - welcome" and the like, I have to wonder how accurate they are. Such people might be welcome technically, you won't get banned by any means, but how many threads would they have to read before they found one of the many, "damn youth these days," "regular people are such slobs compared to us," kind of threads? Would they feel welcome? Still, the list is certainly a wonderful goal to work towards. I found a handful of lines that apply to me, for what it's worth - hats, steampunk, history and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails