Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who is your style inspiration?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Musicians and athletes of that era.

Coming up during the neo-swing era, the suits designed by Jorge Avalos of La Bomba vintage blew me away, and still do. The broad shouldered, nipped waist, hi-waisted suits he designed for bands like Royal Crown Revue and Big Bad Voodoo Daddy struck such an extreme silhouette, it really was something else. Although zoot inspired, the suits really created a stocky, blue-collar athletic look. Sort of a dapper mob-enforcer or boxer look.
custom5_2.jpg
custom6_2.jpg
custom7.jpg
custom3_2.jpg
custom11_2.jpg

Man, when I first saw Royal Crown Revue in 2000, their look and stage presence fractured me as well as their sound. Eddie Nichols came out in his Avalos suits looking like he'd leapt right out of a 1930s Superman serial or soemthing, and the cut and style of his threads blew everyone away.

I love the look of Jeff Bridges as Preston Tucker in the Tucker movie, some great suits and the colours combos are crazy. I dig Bogie too, he always looked cool and he waa born to wear a fedora.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Man, when I first saw Royal Crown Revue in 2000, their look and stage presence fractured me as well as their sound. Eddie Nichols came out in his Avalos suits looking like he'd leapt right out of a 1930s Superman serial or soemthing, and the cut and style of his threads blew everyone away.

I love the look of Jeff Bridges as Preston Tucker in the Tucker movie, some great suits and the colours combos are crazy. I dig Bogie too, he always looked cool and he waa born to wear a fedora.

I really like that dark one...hmmm nice!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The REAL hard cases that lived in the neighborhood (housing projects of NY City) I grew up in. The older ones wore hats and suits... The younger ones wore leather jackets and alpaca sweaters and crepe soled playboy shoes. I was too young for the former and too soft for the latter until now. These days it's a mixture between the two... Now I exude... menace.

Worf.

Coat1008.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
From the fedora lounge: Flat Foot Floey, Baron Kurtz, Two Types, Dinerman cause I think they are original and creative and have a real love for the era.

Thank you, I'm glad to be in such esteemed company. I would have to say Dinerman really knows how to combine 'outerwear' and hats etc in a way we can all be envious of. I am inspired by the way Mr Badger ( as already noted) dresses just right for his age.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thank you, I'm glad to be in such esteemed company. I would have to say Dinerman really knows how to combine 'outerwear' and hats etc in a way we can all be envious of. I am inspired by the way Mr Badger ( as already noted) dresses just right for his age.

At the risk of this turning into a mutual back-slapping, that's high praise indeed! And I'm not even a dashingly talented historian, such as your good self!

Now, if I could only act my age all of the time, that would be the second stage... :D

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
"dashingly talented historian"

Or as my wife puts it "idle spendthrift with too many ties". (she doesn't realise - I don't have too many ties, I have is too few necks).

Mr Badger

Practically Family
"dashingly talented historian"

Or as my wife puts it "idle spendthrift with too many ties". (she doesn't realise - I don't have too many ties, I have is too few necks).

That's BRILLIANT! :eusa_clap

When asked 'what do you do?', I always use my late Father's response, 'As little as possible'!

Slightly OT, but FLers may dig my recent blog posts about Aero, Old Town, The Denim Doctor, Dents gloves, and Herb Lester's maps...

Benny Holiday

Worf, you sure cut a figure that commands respect! I always enjoy reading your posts in the Outerwear section man! That leather you're sporting is the business, too.

Some pics that have inspired me in my personal style since my early 20s:

Cab.jpg

zootsuiters1943.jpg

zootsuit.jpg

zootsuiters3.jpg

And this hep vato, who not only owns cool threads, but knows how to wear 'em, too:

zoot4.jpg

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Worf, you sure cut a figure that commands respect! I always enjoy reading your posts in the Outerwear section man! That leather you're sporting is the business, too.

Some pics that have inspired me in my personal style since my early 20s:

Cab.jpg

zootsuiters1943.jpg

zootsuit.jpg

zootsuiters3.jpg

And this hep vato, who not only owns cool threads, but knows how to wear 'em, too:

zoot4.jpg

Thanks for the love Benny. If I continue to lose weight I may be able to get me some "hep threads" like that. I'd love a Zoot or two for "special occasions". And the good thing about it is that NOBODY would dare give me crap about it either. I guess I'd go for the "classic boxer" look of that era, Joe Louis or Sugar Ray Robinson. You got a sweet sense of style.... enjoy it.

Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Not Golden Era by any means, but vintage enough (ca. 1964) by now, this fellow is my No. 1 inspiration:

Solo_on_Duty_small.jpg

But I probably dress like this more often:

vlcsnap-2012-09-03-15h05m26s244.png

Last edited:

TallCrownDave

New in Town
The REAL hard cases that lived in the neighborhood (housing projects of NY City) I grew up in. The older ones wore hats and suits... The younger ones wore leather jackets and alpaca sweaters and crepe soled playboy shoes. I was too young for the former and too soft for the latter until now. These days it's a mixture between the two... Now I exude... menace.

Worf.

Coat1008.jpg

Worf....you definitively have menaced covered. Nobody on FL wears leather outerwear as well as you do. That picture look fabulous.

Btw, I dig the Worf name reference (from STTNG) as well as Sam Jackson from Pulp Fiction as the avatar.. It seems that I quote SJ at least once a day...my girls were playing a video game (Just Dance 4) and one of their favorite songs is a re-do of an italian oldie that I love that's been renamed We No Speak Americano by a band named Yolanda be Cool... Of course I am the only one that gets the joke... :)
Dave

Benny Holiday

Thanks for the love Benny. If I continue to lose weight I may be able to get me some "hep threads" like that. I'd love a Zoot or two for "special occasions". And the good thing about it is that NOBODY would dare give me crap about it either. I guess I'd go for the "classic boxer" look of that era, Joe Louis or Sugar Ray Robinson. You got a sweet sense of style.... enjoy it.

Worf

Yeah those are great looks, and you could carry 'em off with style to burn. Most people here are very positive about the zoot look, unless the coat comes off and I'm just wearing the trousers. Then some clown's always gotta have a go about the hi-rise waist. I definitely couldn't imagine that happening to you though bud!

MikeBravo

One Too Many

zoot4.jpg

"Summer '43 the man's gunnin' for me
Blue and white mean war tonight
They say damn my pride and all
The other cats livin' down eastside
And there's no place to hide"

Hey Pachuco! Royal Crown Revue

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
In all honesty, my inspiration is the fine dressers from 1900-1940. I wear whatever I can aquire, even if it is mismatching years of clothing to create a look I am comfortable with (The other day I wore a 20s cap, 40s Sportcoat, and modern everything else).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner