Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Owns A Goorin

abduktedtemplar

New in Town
I have yet to buy myself a true fedora but after snagging a goorin bros moretti i'm hooked. i've found at least 4 other goorin's that i'm gonna nab when the funds allow. any other goorin bro fans? pics?

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I have one, bought it back in 93 and wouldn't trade it for anything...

But not the Hipster style, woudn't look right where I was
dg06qw.jpg

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Does Goorin run small?

I read a review that stated Goorin hats run small.The review recommended buying one size larger than the usual size.Does that seem like a good idea?Are Goorin hats known to run small?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd have to agree.

Although there was one hat in their 1333 line that looked like a normal straw stingy, but had a really amazing ribbon design.

I don't mind the hipster look, but I just do not look good in a stingy...

Would you mind posting some pics?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I actually like some of their hipster fedoras, even if they're not fur felts. Don't know anything about their sizing, but if I stop in to one of their stores, I'll be sure to report back. They just opened one here in the East Bay.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Okay, I thought I would never post a pic of me in a stingy, but I do like my Goorin Bros. Milton:

Photo52.jpg

Their sizes are small, medium, large, xl. Mine is large (my size is 59 cm) and is a tad bit on the snug side, but it has a nice elastic sweatband that causes it to hug my head in a very nice way.

Neo, I almost sunk a $100 into one of those 1333 models because of the awesome ribbon, but now that I'm a little more educated on hats I realize I would have been spending all that $ on a toyo straw hat that's really worth about $10.00.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
jbucklin said:
Okay, I thought I would never post a pic of me in a stingy, but I do like my Goorin Bros. Milton:

Photo52.jpg

That stingy changes your looks from the Fed, but this looks great on you also. I looked at many Goorin's when I first started looking for fedoras.

Neophyte

This is the hat I was talking about, the Goorin Bros. Peligro:

01.jpg
400-15991_BRO.jpg

I like the looks and all (that includes the girl, of course), but it's paper straw...not necessarily a bad thing, but straw hats aren't really my thing...
The high price tag on these straw hats, as logic would have it, can be attributed to the "Artist Series" label. Whenever artists are involved, the price will go up.

If you like the hat, though, wear it with pride!

jbucklin

Practically Family
Thanks Chuck. I still wear this one sometimes for gigs. I'm even considering it for a gig tonight at a club I've never played at, and that I hope will hire me back. Stingy brimmed hats are usually best for easing people into the idea that I am a serious hat-wearer. Wider brims are shocking to some folks. I'll probably go with the Stetson Saxon though, since it's a 2" and does look very cool for jazz gigs.

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
jbucklin said:
Their sizes are small, medium, large, xl. Mine is large (my size is 59 cm) and is a tad bit on the snug side, but it has a nice elastic sweatband that causes it to hug my head in a very nice way.
Nice looking hat.I am also a size 59 cm(7 3/8).This page from the Goorin website lists a Large as"approximately 59 cm *23 inches = 7 3/8".
http://www.goorin.com/hat-sizing
So it would seem that I should order Large.But I read they run a bit on the small side so I'm thinking about ordering XL.
You mentioned your Goorin is a tad bit snug.If you were going to buy another Goorin would you go for an XL?Or would you get Large again?

Mr Vim

One Too Many
This is my Goorin, although it is a bit unique, I shortened the brim from a sun hat to a stingy to give it more of a 60's feel. Please Ignore the goatee and aviator's, I no longer have either.

Screenshot2009-12-17at110827AM.png

jbucklin

Practically Family
BlackBrim said:
Nice looking hat.I am also a size 59 cm(7 3/8).This page from the Goorin website lists a Large as"approximately 59 cm *23 inches = 7 3/8".
http://www.goorin.com/hat-sizing
So it would seem that I should order Large.But I read they run a bit on the small side so I'm thinking about ordering XL.
You mentioned your Goorin is a tad bit snug.If you were going to buy another Goorin would you go for an XL?Or would you get Large again?

I would probably order the Extra Large.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I threw up a thread a few months ago asking about the quality of Goorin and other "edgy" hats, but the reception was cool: People here don't go for such fashion hats. Apparently, some do, so thanks for the responses.

How would you owners rate the quality of Goorin? Are its hats worth the money?

Neophyte

I don't think Goorin is so much about quality as they are about art and style. If you get one, I'd baby it. Wear it with pride though, because, regarding their 1333 Minna Artist series, they look good.

jbucklin

Practically Family
The quality is good and worth the price, even when considering that their hats are geared more toward the "trendy" market of the rather ubiquitous stingy-brimmed fedora. That being said, for that type of hat, that's where I'd look. The photos on their website are pretty accurate representations of their products.

Neophyte

lol
jbucklin said:
The quality is good and worth the price, even when considering that their hats are geared more toward the "trendy" market of the rather ubiquitous stingy-brimmed fedora. That being said, for that type of hat, that's where I'd look. The photos on their website are pretty accurate representations of their products.

As you all can see, I don't know anything about what I'm talking aboutlol . However, if I was ever gonna buy a hip stingy, it would most definitely be a Goorin.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Having given them a good looking over, I echo what the others have said...

They tend toward the hipster [nothing at all wrong with that]. but I also think they for the most part, steer clear of the "I bought my hat at Target" look. Some of them I'd consider wearing if I found them at a good price. I can't speak for their quality as I've never seen/handled one in person.

It was also helpful having owners chime in with photos and reviews.

Neophyte said:
However, if I was ever gonna buy a hip stingy, it would most definitely be a Goorin.

I dunno, Akubra has some very nice stingy brims, too. The Whippet being one of them.

Randy

Dave McCone

New in Town
Goorin review

I work a few blocks from the Goorin store in Seattle WA's University district. Here are my impressions to date:

First, the bad news: From a felt quality standpoint, the felt quality is poor - these seem to be wool felt, and are priced at a wool felt price point ($40-$60) for the most part. I haven't seen any fur felts or any of the custom hats that they make, however.

Adding to the bad news, the sizing is small/med/large/xl. I wear a 7 1/4 / 58cm, so I'm inbetween sizes; the large size appears to be equivalent to a 59 / 7 3/8.

On the good side - their hat bands are absolutely gorgeous - they tend to use a lot of silk fabric that you would normally see on nicer neckties. And, I've given some thought to buying one just for the band - and transplanting the band to a better quality hat.

Styles tend towards more of a stingy-brim, hipster look - the store itself has ball caps, stingy-brim fabric hats in the fedora style, various stingy straws, and stingy brim fedoras.

These folks strike me as catering to the younger, more fashonable crowd. It's not a place to find a classic style - but I can see it as being a place for a younger guy (or girl) to start and nourish a hat habit before (hopefully) their tastes mature and they gravitate towards the more classic styles that they find at Byrnie Utz in downtown Seattle.

If you are in the mood for something fun, quirky, and brash, and stingy brims work for you then this place would probably appeal to you. And, there is something to be said for indulging a whim and trying something new and unusual for a few months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner