Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who wears short shorts?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't. Have you seen how short some of those short shorts are out today?? Alarming!

What do you wear when it's hot outside? (This post inspired by Matt Deckard's thread for the fellows).

Naama

Practically Family
KAT said:
short Lederhosen ..of course..pictures will follow soon

I'm waiting for that! ;)

If I wear shorts, then longer (ending short before the knees). I thought that I've seen a picture of Marlene Dietrich wearing similar shorts as I have, but I can't find it [huh] But why don't just wear skirts if it's hot?

Naama

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I have 1 pair of shorts(just like the ones mentioned by Naama) and own those just in case we go to an amusement park with rides.Capris can be too hot and well roller coasters and skirts don't exactly mix.
I do like that pair,they seem to be somewhere between a pair of shorts and a pair of capris.
I also like the little vintage playsuits that never seem to come in my size,may have to get a reproduction,like this:

ssd4.jpg

Also,I saw a pic of Jitterbugdoll in a cute pinafore style playsuit,maybe she'll post it.
Mostly,in the summer I wear skirts and sundresses with wedges or ballet flats and pretty much take a sweater everywhere since all the ac's here will be on near freezing temps.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If it's really really hot and humid -- which it gets maybe one week out of the year here -- I've got a couple of 40's-style rayon rompers with wide legs that fall to just above the knee. That's as short as I ever go -- and if I'm going downtown or to the store or something I'll change into a knee-length lightweight cotton house dress.

There was a time when I used to romp and frolic about the dooryard on hot afternoons in a pair of 1964 New York World's Fair souvenir rhumba panties with "MEET ME AT THE FAIR" emblazoned across the rear. But I was only two, and my mother had a peculiar sense of humor...

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear shorts and vintage playsuits, as well as capris, though mostly around the house. I have quite a few 1940s-50s sets, and they all fall about mid-thigh on me--that's as short as I'll go! I haven't bought a modern pair of shorts in ages, because I cannot stand how low-waisted they tend to be. I hate that look!

Here's a pic of Dale Evans wearing the same playsuit that Rubyredlocks mentioned (I can post a pic of me wearing the same one later on):
47b5d602b3127cce93973c2c384e00000045108AatmbRq2ctP

I also have shorts similar to these:
1212.jpg

And a couple of playsuits similar to this:
20.1940.5.20.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
No short shorts for me! When it gets really hot out, I wear sundresses of th light and breezy variety. Actually, I have one that looks almost exactly like this:
yellow-dress-front.jpg

or this:
rbsundress.jpg

I might also wear a pair of capris if I'm doing something in need of pants but like someone said capris are sometimes too hot.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
It's all about linen and cotton. I love wearing linen pants in the summer with nice wider legs with stiped tank tops. It's a very 30's nautical look that thankfully enough is in fashion right now so I don't neccesarily have to make them or buy the real thing.
wpt30smiss24215hollywood956.jpg

fg_fleet_onebasket.jpg

You can even watch the pants in action when ginger dances thanks to YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9YqGvK3_I
I also like floaty thin cotton or muslin dresses and skirts. I have a pair of shorts like the ones Jitterbugdoll posted in white, and a pair of 50's ones that button at the sides in blue- then there's the non-scandelous halters for beach wear. In the summer I'm pretty drawn to the 50's Italian look like this:
miller145art2.jpg

fc7b475f.jpg

81731.jpg

dsp_s3250.jpg

4292.JPG

Irena

One of the Regulars
For the past four or five summers I've worn swimsuits everyday (for work - lifeguard and swimming teacher) and, of course, I have to wear shorts all the time. But those short shorts, never! I like them longer, mid-thigh to knee-length is the best.

On a little different subject, I'll be in bed for about a month this summer with no air-conditioning, then on crutches for another month or so. Any suggestions for keeping cool while looking fairly decent?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Irena said:
For the past four or five summers I've worn swimsuits everyday (for work - lifeguard and swimming teacher) and, of course, I have to wear shorts all the time. But those short shorts, never! I like them longer, mid-thigh to knee-length is the best.

On a little different subject, I'll be in bed for about a month this summer with no air-conditioning, then on crutches for another month or so. Any suggestions for keeping cool while looking fairly decent?

A suggest a cabana boy who will bring you cold drinks and fan you.

And by the way, sorry to hear you will be stuck in bed and then with crutches!

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thanks Mysterygal!
I think those would be cute for a relaxed pool party with some matching espadrilles.
I also like the 30s linen-look mentioned by Lauren.

Irena

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
A suggest a cabana boy who will bring you cold drinks and fan you.

I wish....but I don't think my little brother would be too happy with that suggestion.:rolleyes:

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Irena-Cold packs wrapped in a towel and placed at your neck,keep ice water by the bed at all times,of coarse an electric fan will help,and think cotton,it breaths the best.
You could recline in a nice cotton sleevless day dress and if your hair is long enough a high ponytail with a scarf tied around it will make you feel more presentable.
Stay well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot