Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

metropd

One Too Many
ortega76 said:
Okay, granted I was born in 1976, so I kinda missed everything. Here's what I dig about the 70's.

1. Musically? Funk (especially Parliament) and the soundtrack to Enter the Dragon (Chinese traditional mixed with "wah-wah" guitar). Marvin Gaye ("Let's Get It On" and "Got to Give It Up" are among my favorite all-time songs). Let's not forget Led Zepelin.

2. Movies? Kung-fu movies in general (they had a huge impact on American culture and helped paved the way for greater cultural acceptance of Asian cultures in the 80's and 90's).

3. Fashion? Okay, this is a bust for the most part.

Agreed my Brotha. George Clinton and Parliament was by far the best thing to come out of the 70's!!!:eusa_clap :Also Led Zeppelin was a highlight and are one of the greatest bands ever.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Anachronism said:
if you don't find it aesthetically pleasing, that's fine. Bringing gender roles into the whole thing is what I find offensive.

I am quite liberal and have zero tolerance for homophobia and intolerance. Except my intolerance of intolerance that is.

But I think it might be a mistake to equate gender roles and sexual preference, nd people's reaction to them.

For a member to say that they do not like men "dressing like women' is not the same as saying that homosexuals are bad or even that they do not like men dressing like (insert word for homosexual here)

thee is no denying that many male members on this forum are very macho and like hats clothes and classic looks because they feel it is the epitome of masculine culture and how a man should be. That is their right. Although I find it kind of narrow minded and even laughable, because the twenties and thirties, for example, were marked by somewhat effemenite behavior of men in many ways. There is a bit of pendulum, swinging back and forth in terms of the iconozation of broad shouldered masculinity, and slim, effeminite dandyism. The sixties saw a big swing towards slim sillouettes, skinny rock stars like Mic jagger, and pop stars like the beatles wearing fur, flashy flowing clothing, and driving cars like minis and volkswagen Beatles.

Actually, the seventies was kind of a backlash in which hyper masculinity was an ideal. Think of the moustachiod Tom Selek, or the macho clint Eastwood, and even the image of John Travolta with his open shirt and hairy chest, is a very masculine, macho image. So, while men were dressing in some more feminine ways, to characterize the seventies as has been done previously, is to miss the overwhelming masculine nature of the populare im,age of men of the day.

But, back to my point, while I might find comments about metrosexual dandys ,or guys in the seventies wearing flowing poufy shirts or tight pants tiresome, I do not equate it with homophobia. Even saying a man ought to look like, act like, or dress like "a man" do not offend me as homophobia. Only someone saying a man ought to love or be intimate with a woman, even if he prefers men, is what I would take offense at.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
reetpleet, you are obviously someone of some maturity. You totally get where I was going. Your kind of level headed thinking can only be acquired through some 'lifesmanship' and a basically kind rather than contentious personality.

My comment about my especially not liking the look of '70s mens fashion stands but I did not communicate anything about sexual orientation or preference and was not thinking it either, so I basically ignored it when that attempt was made to shoe horn that into the mix.

Anyone has the right to be offended about anything, it's a choice they make. It is OK to be offended. It does not automatically discount another's thoughts or words. And it does not make the offended one's rights more right than another's as is the common fallacy.

That'll be all from me on this, but thank you for taking your time to write your observations.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Another great thing about the seventies. Latinos and Blacks still often wore very stylish clothes, suits, hats etc. In fact, for latino Vatos n Vatas, vintage clothes such as baggys, 9hight waisted 40s slacks) vintage gaberdine shirts buttoned to the neck, classic cars, fedoras etc were the style of the day. A far cry from the baggy pants or long shorts with sweat socks which is the style of the bario today.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
reetpleat said:
Another great thing about the seventies. Latinos and Blacks still often wore very stylish clothes, suits, hats etc. In fact, for latino Vatos n Vatas, vintage clothes such as baggys, 9hight waisted 40s slacks) vintage gaberdine shirts buttoned to the neck, classic cars, fedoras etc were the style of the day. A far cry from the baggy pants or long shorts with sweat socks which is the style of the bario today.
reetpleat, your last two posts should be a reference point for anyone before they go off into the murky waters of gender/ clothing/ masculinity with any ax to grind. Your words were (as usual) well reasoned and concise. I'll only add in agreement that people fail to see how much effort was expended into "looking sharp" back then. They may have missed the target according to our modern (or retro) tastes, but they DRESSED. So many men now look as if the only thought that they put into getting dressed was "Do I roll out of bed into the crumpled clothes on the left side of bed or do I roll out of bed into the crumpled clothes on the right side of bed?".

Talbot

One Too Many
What do I hate about the 70's?

A lot of material stuff I like was being discarded by folks as being out of style and passe'. Things I really like were affordable and could be appreciated by those that loved them.

You could buy a running registered 49 Ford for $500

You could score great swag at almost any goodwill store you tried, zoot suits, gab shirts, hand painted neckties, Saturday Evening Posts, cufflinks, the list goes on.

Stuff that I loved was being given away. A buddy of mine even picked up a working Philco Predictor in a rubbish drive.

I have never tracked popular culture, that way it doesn't offend me much. I must admit it tried its darndest (the Aussie band Skyhooks for instance).

Not my era of choice, but who gets to choose?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Talbot said:
A lot of material stuff I like was being discarded by folks as being out of style and passe'. Things I really like were affordable and could be appreciated by those that loved them.

You could buy a running registered 49 Ford for $500

You could score great swag at almost any goodwill store you tried, zoot suits, gab shirts, hand painted neckties, Saturday Evening Posts, cufflinks, the list goes on.

Exactly -- this was by far the *best* thing about living in the 70s, as far as I was concerned. I was earning $1.99 an hour, but I could afford things that go for ridiculous amounts of money today. Much of my collection of vintage magazines, for example, was bought prior to 1980, at twenty-five cents a throw. 78s were everywhere, at twenty-five or fifty cents apiece. Sears catalogues from the thirties were a princely $5 a shot, and I can remember saving babysitting money and returning pop bottles when I was fourteen to buy a bunch of them. The Philco console radio in my living room cost me $5 -- delivered. The gas station at the end of my street had a '36 Buick sedan parked in its driveway with a $500 price tag on it -- I'd walk by that thing on my way home from school every day and wish I could afford it.

The only negative thing I can think of along these lines is that none of the vintage clothes I bought back then -- for pennies on the dollar -- fit me anymore. That was another good thing in the '70s -- having a 27-inch waist.

One more *good* thing about the '70s that hasn't been mentioned -- there were a lot more Golden Era people still alive and vigorous than today. You might even still see a few WW1 vets alive and marching in the Memorial Day parade.

Miss 1929 said:
I do hope that was a joke...it's kind of hard to tell sometimes in type...EVERYONE has a right to an opinion. At least here in America we do!
Therefor I have the right to be offended at their offense taking.

Besides they could also be speaking about the early metrosexuals.

Anachronism

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
I do hope that was a joke...it's kind of hard to tell sometimes in type...EVERYONE has a right to an opinion. At least here in America we do!

Word. And I never said or would ever say that someone shouldn't be allowed to state their opinion. Everybody has the right to free speech (as long as it isn't libel, but I don't think that can be heard in criminal courts).

I think it was Voltaire that said (correct this quote, i may be off)
"I disagree with what you are saying, but I would give my life for your right to say it"

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if there is a disco lounge somewhere on the world wide web devoted to afficionados of the 70s who discus in minute detail the finer points of seventies suits, sportswear, disco dresses, and studio 54.

Unfortunately, the discolounge.com is taken, but not thediscolounge, the polyestelounge, or polyesterlounge.

Talbot

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
One more *good* thing about the '70s that hasn't been mentioned -- there were a lot more Golden Era people still alive and vigorous than today. You might even still see a few WW1 vets alive and marching in the Memorial Day parade.

^^^^^ absolutely.:eusa_clap

Looking back, one of the bad things about the 70's for me was all the regrets I have about the stuff I didn't pick up that is now rare and completely astronomical, sigh....

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Talbot said:
^^^^^ absolutely.:eusa_clap

Looking back, one of the bad things about the 70's for me was all the regrets I have about the stuff I didn't pick up that is now rare and completely astronomical, sigh....

...like Army surplus stores filled with WWII items for cheap. I loved to go there and get my father to buy coats, belts, helmets and other things for me. I'd wear them while watching old re-runs of "Combat" on my 13" black and white TV. The simple pleasures of the 70s...

(of course I no longer have any of these things, but wish that I did!)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I remember getting all kinds of army amo belts, helmets and such at the thrift store. I can only imagine all he vintage clothing going begging.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
Agreed my Brotha. George Clinton and Parliament was by far the best thing to come out of the 70's!!!:eusa_clap :Also Led Zeppelin was a highlight and are one of the greatest bands ever.

The_Partridge_Family.jpg

2811160258_452f863a5d.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
I remember getting all kinds of army amo belts, helmets and such at the thrift store. I can only imagine all he vintage clothing going begging.

Don't even get me started on the stuff at the army disposal - incredible.

The days you could walk into a store and there would be no blister packs...

You could still find a good 1940's style cafe...

You could still see Comando Cody, Hop Harrigan and Sky King on TV.

Working black and white Philco TV console with the flashmatic(?) cord remote tuner - $10? nah! :eusa_doh:

1955 - 58 Saturday Evening Posts and Colliers $2? - nah, I'm only interested in the earlier years:eusa_doh:

You want how much for the old mechanical watch? Nah - who are IWC anyway? :eusa_doh:

Garrard turntable and Pioneer valve amp - 10$? - nah:eusa_doh:

Complete continental kit for a 59 Ford $50? - nah:eusa_doh:

Original CA hot rod club plaques $4? alright, I'll take 4. There were about 60 there:eusa_doh:

Still, I have some good swag that I could not afford today, so I have to keep reminding myself that the glass is still half full.....

And there is the Fedora Lounge:)

Talbot

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And in the '70s you could --

* Get your typewriter repaired in any medium-sized town.

* Receive a house call from your family doctor like it was no big deal.

* Shop at Woolworth's, Newberry's, McClellan's, or Grant's.

* Mail a letter for six cents, buy a candy bar for a dime, and a large Coke for fifteen cents. If you were a kid, fifty cents a week was real money.

* Get full service at any gas station.

* Find things actually worth listening to on AM radio.

* Know that any appliance you bought could be repaired if it broke down.

* Walk down any street at any time without overhearing random strangers yammering away into little electronic devices about their most personal or trivial business.

* Buy your daily newspaper in blissful unawareness that such a person as Rupert Murdoch existed.

* Dial a phone call knowing that it would be answered by an actual human being.

* Get a decent rate of return on an ordinary passbook savings account, at a bank that was owned and run by people from your town.

It's fun to slam the Freddy-from-Scooby-Doo fashions and the soppy music and the general half-wittedness of '70's popular culture -- but there really was still a lot of the Golden Era left, especially if you lived in a small town. It wasn't *all* polyester and bad hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou