Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why were the 70s such a tacky decade?

Adverts from the '70s [video=youtube;d4NWEfuTohI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4NWEfuTohI[/video]

That was the perfect guy for that Carpeteria commercial with that big rug on his head. lol lol Geez, the clothing and hair styles were horrible. lol lol Nice to see that the menopausal helmet hair isn’t something all that new but figures it would have started in the 70s. :doh:

While I liked some of the things in the 70's, a house built during that time IS a bad idea.
Good call...
Here they have aluminum wiring, which can rattle loose on the connections among other things.
1980's, that's the decade I intend on buying from.
Lived in one as a teen, and here they still hold their value very well.

My house was built in 1978. It has held up well. It has copper wiring, though it did have Federal Pacific breakers, which I replaced.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Good man!

Wallpaper?

I'm in the process of papering a entire house!

Including the ceilings.

Believe me, if you've never papered a ceiling with old stock thin paper (no vinyl coating or binder) the you just haven't lived! It is even worse when the paper is approaching a hundred years of age, as it tends to get brittle.

Wallpaper?

I'm in the process of papering a entire house!

Including the ceilings.

Believe me, if you've never papered a ceiling with old stock thin paper (no vinyl coating or binder) the you just haven't lived! It is even worse when the paper is approaching a hundred years of age, as it tends to get brittle.

You are just making more work for the next owner when they remove it all. :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by LizzieMaine:
"What, no kalsomine?"

No. But I AM using enamel in the kitchen.

I've only one five pound box of Kalsomine left, and don't know where to use it. Perhaps the upstairs bedroom ceilings. I haven't been able to find a ceiling paper to match.

Originally Posted by jamespowers:
"You are just making more work for the next owner when they remove it all."

No doubt, but for the first time in my life I'm decorating the house to my own taste, not that of some mythical potential buyer. Of course there is a great deal of difference between 'Teens and 'Twenties wallpaper and 'Eighties wallpaper. For example, a typical paper job of the 'Eighties included a tripartite wall; (Dado, fill and freize, with appropriate borders in between), bold pattern and vivid colors:

victorianbeauty1.jpg
Oops! Sorry. I think that I may have the wrong 'Eighties

I think that you were referring to the 'Eighties of the Blue Geese, tiny insignificant floral patterns, Hunter Green "Feature Walls" "Southwestern " motifs in pastel colors, and lots of glass block.

yech!

Actually, I find the earlier 'Eities to be every bit as distasteful as the last, but that's just one man's opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jamespowers:
"You are just making more work for the next owner when they remove it all."

No doubt, but for the first time in my life I'm decorating the house to my own taste, not that of some mythical potential buyer. Of course there is a great deal of difference between 'Teens and 'Twenties wallpaper and 'Eighties wallpaper. For example, a typical paper job of the 'Eighties included a tripartite wall; (Dado, fill and freize, with appropriate borders in between), bold pattern and vivid colors:

View attachment 21768
Oops! Sorry. I think that I may have the wrong 'Eighties

I think that you were referring to the 'Eighties of the Blue Geese, tiny insignificant floral patterns, Hunter Green "Feature Walls" "Southwestern " motifs in pastel colors, and lots of glass block.

yech!

Actually, I find the earlier 'Eities to be every bit as distasteful as the last, but that's just one man's opinion.

I could see keeping the top but the bottom part below the trim would have to go. :p

Glass block sucks. I can't understand how that became "stylish.":doh:

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Funny thing about the 70s - we thought we looked really good then. It wasn't till a few years later that it all looked so really bad. When I look back at our family photos, I shake my head and wonder what were we thinking back then. :eusa_doh:

Feraud

Bartender
Good point Big Man. I think we can look back on most decades that way. Looking back and wondering why we thought that haircut, moustache, or sideburns looked good!?
Every decade has it's good and bad. In the the end none of it matters. It's just clothes and other silly "stuff".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace