Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wifebeaters?

Men: Do you wear a so-called "wifebeater" regularly?

• Yes - of course! Just like my father did.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eww.... not for me.

• Sometimes I do, depending.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're no Wartime Consiglieri!

Strange at it may seem to me they are a comfortable underlayer for cooler winter days in So Cal.

I like to wear them when in suit or tux.

I also think of Sonny Corleone in The Godfather (I) where there is one or more scenes of Sonny in wifebeaters.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
A offensive term

I find the term "wifebeater" to be highly offensive and see it as an ethnic put down to all the Italians, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans who wear them exposed on hot days. If someone made a thread about "light in the loafers" I'm sure it would be immediately closed.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I wear them under a dress shirt if it's cold enough. Or as a piece of Golden Era clothing in the summer.

I still can't get over the American habit of wearing a T-shirt under a dress shirt.
Especially(well mainly)when it can be seen through the shirt. Looks like someone has a T-shirt on beneath the shirt... if you know what I mean.

Lincsong- if you mentioned "light in the Loafers", I doubt if anyone would be familiar with it.(but they do now). It's a pretty LAME one anyway.

But yes "Wifebeater" is a bit mean, if that's where it's pointed.

B
T

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i never assumed it had anything to do with certain ethnic minorities. i thought it was more a stereotype of the slobbish drunk husband with food stains on his vest (english for wifebeater/sleeveless undershirt).

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
I wear them under a dress shirt if it's cold enough. Or as a piece of Golden Era clothing in the summer.

I still can't get over the American habit of wearing a T-shirt under a dress shirt.
Especially(well mainly)when it can be seen through the shirt. Looks like someone has a T-shirt on beneath the shirt... if you know what I mean.

Lincsong- if you mentioned "light in the Loafers", I doubt if anyone would be familiar with it.(but they do now). It's a pretty LAME one anyway.

But yes "Wifebeater" is a bit mean, if that's where it's pointed.

B
T

Ah, so you are familiar with the term "light in the loafers".;)

Anyway, back to topic, wearing a t-shirt under a dress shirt is in my opinion, highly recommended especially if said man has an abundance of hair on his chest, stomach and back. What would be more lame, looking at a t-shirt underneath a dress shirt or looking at a sweaty, hairy gut?[huh]

I'd never heard of wifebeater as a putdown of any specific minority.

I don't wear them; i don't wear any kind fo undershirt.

Apparently, from wikipedia (which does discuss the anti-Italian-American usage): "In the UK and Ireland, the term is occasionally used as slang for the Belgian beer Stella Artois. Although this is also used in Scotland by some, its main usage remains as a vest type sleeve-less shirt. In British culture, Stella Artois is associated with a drinking culture in which domestic abuse may follow a bout of drinking at the local pub."

bk

Lincsong said:
Anyway, back to topic, wearing a t-shirt under a dress shirt is in my opinion, highly recommended especially if said man has an abundance of hairy on his chest, stomach and back. What would be more lame, looking at a t-shirt underneath a dress shirt or looking at a sweaty, hairy gut?[huh]

How could you see the hairy gut if it is under a shirt?

bk

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Young men in my small town, one summer day in 1937.

Image-678D820515E111DA.jpg

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
How could you see the hairy gut if it is under a shirt?

bk

If it's a white shirt and you're able to see a t-shirt underneath it, you will definetely see a very, very hairy gut.:eek: I'm not talking about a couple hairs, but a gut that looks like a bear skin rug.:D

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Ick never! i hate how they look and feel. i prefer crew neck undershits. CK tagless undershits are my first choice.

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
herringbonekid said:
i never assumed it had anything to do with certain ethnic minorities. i thought it was more a stereotype of the slobbish drunk husband with food stains on his vest (english for wifebeater/sleeveless undershirt).

I find the term "slobbish drunk husband with food stains on his vest " to be highly offensive and see it as a put down to all slobbish drunk husbands with food stains on their vests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner