Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Witch Hazel

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It seems this ancient beauty aide is making a come back. Ive seen not only the generic versions that have been in drug stores for ever, but Im starting to see major companies remaking the wonder astringent for a new audience.

In case there are some ladies who dont know what it is, here and here are some intereting articles on what it is and how it works.

Ive been using it on and off for years. It often has the more contemporary name of 'toner' and I find is often an ingredient in a lot of those crazy expensive beauty products you find at department stores.

The brand that Im spoiled by is Thayers.

They make an all natural, alcohol free toner in amazing scents. I tried their rose water toner, but, it smelled too much like 'old lady' for my tastes, so I moved to their lavender scent, and it smells divine. A 12 oz bottle will last months!

whsampler_LRG.jpg

I use it in the evening when I wash my face before bed, and it makes my skin feel so lovely.

Do any of you ladies use which hazel regularly? Have any of you experimented in making your own?

Thanks ladies!

LD

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
I've been using the rose petal Thayer's for years now. I guess I like smelling like an old lady. lol

I have really oily skin, so the witch hazel is nice, but I still feel greasy sometimes. That's when I pull out the Dr. Bronner's soap for a quick scrubdown.

I also use witch hazel in a spray I make for my roller derby gear so that the pads, etc. don't stink quite as much. I mix rubbing alcohol, witch hazel, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and lavender oil. It smells great!

RD

JennyLou

Practically Family
Thank you Lady Day for the the heads up on Thayer's products. I've been looking for a toner and I think I'll give Thayer's a try.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I've been using witch hazel on and off for over a year now, usually after I wash my face before going to bed. When I first started using it, I bought the T.N. Dickinson's brand since that's all I saw at Walmart. Of course I heard about Thayer's AFTER my other purchase. It's almost gone now, so maybe I'll get some of the rose or lavender stuff soon! Plus, Dickinson's has alcohol in it :eusa_doh:

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I had gotten some of the rose scented witch hazel from the dollar store and wound up mixing it in with regular witch hazel, the rose scent was way too strong. I have my kids use it on thier faces. Puberty/pre puberty and sweaty foreheads. Works great on them, when they use it lol

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
I use it every night. My face is looking much better. :) I sent my mom to buy it, I had something to do that night. She brought me back whatever she saw first, so I don't even know what brand it is. It doesn't smell too nice, but I just love it!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I've used pure witch hazel as a toner for years, I love it as it's not only cheap and natural (and effective) but the smell reminds me of childhood - my mum would always put witch hazel on our scraps and bruises. I'm currently using something different:

106329.jpg

but this natural toner doesn't have many ingredients and the one of the top ones is witch hazel anyway! I might swap back once it's finished though.

Inky

One Too Many
I've used witch hazel as a toner since i was in high school. Sometimes I buy generic witch hazel, sometimes Thayers, it just depends on what's around. I like the scented ones, even though they cost a little bit more. Right now I'm using one I found at my local gourmet market (sort of like a Whole Foods) by Humphreys. It smells lovely and works just as well as any other witch hazel i've used.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
I have a bottle of witch hazel sitting there and I have used it in the past and I didnt know if any of you ladies would think I could still use it as a light toner while using Differin Gel for my acne.

I have been curious if It would make things worse for my face If I were to use it in the mornings... anyone have any input or suggestions?

This stupid acne stuff is on my last nerve.. thank goodness for Differin Gel.. shhhesh!:eek:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've tried witch hazel before and didn't like it. I found it far too drying for my skin. Now that my skin is oilier than it was before, perhaps I'll give it another go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner