Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would a B3 entirely overlayed in horsehide be uncomfortable to wear?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Im thinking of having my Aero B3 completely overlayed in horsehide currently it is partially overlayed. I just recently got it, so I wouldnt send it back until this summer or early fall, which gives me some time to think about it. I like the horsehide for the durability and weight. The sheepskin just feels so fragile and easily damaged, but it is very flexible and comfortable. I have done scratch tests on samples of aeros sheepskin and it holds up rather well, but still, its nothing compared to horsehide. I already have overlays over the entire arm, the chest, shoulders, and upper back, but not the torso.

I realize that while sitting or driving it may be a challange if it was entirely overlayed, but walking around I dont know that I would notice a difference other than in weight.

Opinions wanted please!

John Lever

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
Im thinking of having my Aero B3 completely overlayed in horsehide currently it is partially overlayed. I just recently got it, so I wouldnt send it back until this summer or early fall, which gives me some time to think about it. I like the horsehide for the durability and weight. The sheepskin just feels so fragile and easily damaged, but it is very flexible and comfortable. I have done scratch tests on samples of aeros sheepskin and it holds up rather well, but still, its nothing compared to horsehide. I already have overlays over the entire arm, the chest, shoulders, and upper back, but not the torso.

I realize that while sitting or driving it may be a challange if it was entirely overlayed, but walking around I dont know that I would notice a difference other than in weight.

Opinions wanted please!
This jacket already exists, it's called a B-1 and is made by The Few and retails for around $2500.
I think any overlays are added before the jacket is assembled. They might need to take the jacket apart to do this so it might not be worth it.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Hi,

I am not sure why you do want to do this - to rework a ready jacket.
If you seek 2 in 1 i.e. horsehide and shearling united in a single jacket - go for the Shawl Collar Barnstormer of Aero Leather. But that is a 3/4 jacket.
There are periodically threads started about that type but I have never
seen anyone reporting about his specimen and all threads end with current barnstormer owners advising the inquiring person to go rather for a plain Barnstormer with Alpaca and/or Cotton Twill lining.

Regards:

Tom

JLStorm

Practically Family
I wanted to overlay the entire thing in horsehide from the beginning, but Aero talked me out of it, now I wished I had not listened to them. So, I figured I would see if they could do it during the time I wont be wearing it.

If the cost is going to be more than a few hundred dollars, I probably wouldnt do it and I'll just deal with it as is.

My question was how much less comfortable might it be completely overlayed, but considering a B-1 is made and is a similar jacket, it probably isnt that bad.

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
Sounds to me like they would have to dismantle the jacket, which can't be easy, then custom cut the horsehide, and put it all back together. I can't imagine they would do it for less than several hundred dollars. Then you have shipping both ways, which would probably be at least a hundred more.

Would it be overlaid in front quarter? If so, I can only imagine how stiff it would be. That thick shearling, plus the sheepskin, plus horsehide? That sounds like it would be incredibly thick and stiff, and would take God-knows how long to break in, if you could everget it broken-in. Of course, it would probably stop bullets.

I haven't heard much talk about the sheepskins on B3's tearing. Have you? I would think that Aero would use the finest materials, like always.

I guess you'll know more at the end of this winter.

John Lever

One Too Many
Why not buy a horsehide army jerkin to wear over it ? Aero make these out of FQHH for around £150. If you get too hot you could take it off. The extra length would also be useful for added warmth and protection. They have no arms, and as the B-3 are already has arms covered by HH this would not matter
Could save you hundreds of pounds and be a useful garment on other occasions.

JLStorm

Practically Family
DJS Press said:
Sounds to me like they would have to dismantle the jacket, which can't be easy, then custom cut the horsehide, and put it all back together. I can't imagine they would do it for less than several hundred dollars. Then you have shipping both ways, which would probably be at least a hundred more.

Would it be overlaid in front quarter? If so, I can only imagine how stiff it would be. That thick shearling, plus the sheepskin, plus horsehide? That sounds like it would be incredibly thick and stiff, and would take God-knows how long to break in, if you could everget it broken-in. Of course, it would probably stop bullets.

I haven't heard much talk about the sheepskins on B3's tearing. Have you? I would think that Aero would use the finest materials, like always.

I guess you'll know more at the end of this winter.

Well, thats the thing. I dont know if people wearing B3s baby them or only wear them when they dont have a chance of getting damaged or not. The sheepskin feels so soft, flexible, and supple that I just dont know that it could hold up to much...but on my scratch and tear tests it did due rather well....I just didnt think the hide felt as supple on the samples I got versus the actual jacket....I could be paranoid who knows. I will definitely know more as winter progresses.

John Lever said:
Why not buy a horsehide army jerkin to wear over it ? Aero make these out of FQHH for around £150. If you get too hot you could take it off. The extra length would also be useful for added warmth and protection. They have no arms, and as the B-3 are already has arms covered by HH this would not matter
Could save you hundreds of pounds and be a useful garment on other occasions.

Thats actually not a bad idea, especially if I could get it cut to fit around the B3. My only concern there would be it just being annoying while flapping in the wind, but its certainly an idea worth entertaining. Thanks.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It sounds as if you are concerned about the durability of Aero's shearling. Covering it with hh would not be the route I would follow. I would sell the jacket and buy an ELC Rough Wear Redskin. The shearling is robust and will not let you down and its a very stylish jacket too.

JLStorm

Practically Family
aswatland said:
It sounds as if you are concerned about the durability of Aero's shearling. Covering it with hh would not be the route I would follow. I would sell the jacket and buy an ELC Rough Wear Redskin. The shearling is robust and will not let you down and its a very stylish jacket too.

ELC will not do the customizations that I want and I doubt that any sheepskin will be as tough as I want it to be. I have had another B3 with a thicker hide and shorter fleece that tore easier than the Aero samples I have. I like the horsehide overlays I dont have to worry about anything, they really are just bullet proof.

The reason I may consider John's advice is that I could use the vest when doing rougher work, but take it off if I was going to be sitting down for a while. I dont know, I may be looking for a solution without a problem as well. I really wont know for a while I guess.

John Lever

One Too Many
JLStorm said:
ELC will not do the customizations that I want and I doubt that any sheepskin will be as tough as I want it to be. I have had another B3 with a thicker hide and shorter fleece that tore easier than the Aero samples I have. I like the horsehide overlays I dont have to worry about anything, they really are just bullet proof.

The reason I may consider John's advice is that I could use the vest when doing rougher work, but take it off if I was going to be sitting down for a while. I dont know, I may be looking for a solution without a problem as well. I really wont know for a while I guess.
There is a seller on ebay that has these all the time. Do a search for 'Army leather jerkin' and you should find it. They are £59 new repro, probably not as good as Aero though.

FLATHEAD

New in Town
Why not just get a horsehide jacket, like one of Aero's Highwayman jackets,
that is lined with shearling?

Its a waistlength jacket, and they can line it with shearling, and eve give
it a fir collar if you want it that way. They can put zippers on the sleeves
for easy on/off and glove wearing.

Just check out Mark Moyes website for examples of all kinds of hybrid horsehide
jackets that are lined.

If you went this route, you would not ruin your current jacket, and it would
be cheaper to just buy another one anyway since the jacket you have would
have to be taken completely apart to put horsehide on the outside of it.

All the seams would have to be taken apart. The pockets would have to come off, the zipper, the buckles and straps. Everything.

By the time Aero did that (if they would do it at all anyway) would just
be like making a new jacket.

Check out the examples on Marks page, and ask Aero about it.

Jim

Here's my Aero Longshoreman in heavy HH & shearling that I've owned and worn hard for years. Another option for a tough warm jacket....although the B3 is certainly the toastiest shearling.

100_0415.jpg

HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
nice phot HD :)

I talked to Aero, they said they would do the work for between 100GBP and 150GBP which seems like a fair price to me. So, this summer I will send it back at some point and have them do the work probably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot