Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you wear this in public?

WH1

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
I was 11 years old when the disco era really bloomed. Imagine the nightmare of hating it and having to live through it at the same time. That was my purgatory.

I have often wondered if they wore those clothes because of all the drugs they used or if they used the drugs because of the clothes. I also grew up in the disco era, I remember my mom buying us some of the ugliest plaid bell bottom pants you have ever seen.:eek: She never could get me to wear those, reminded me of horse blankets.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Oh, they adapted, all right.

I don't remember BB or H.Freeman doing so and I know Oxxford didn't but I'm thinkin' HF may have.

The Wingnut said:
...I might mention that changing the buttons from the monochrome look to a contrasting color may be a critical detail for steering it away from being obviously '70s. A dark blue or gray horn would probably work.

That is what I thought when I saw the suit. The buttons were just not right.
Then finding out about the pants leg taper really ruined it. :p ;)

Regards,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
th17disco_ball_lg_nwm.gif

aj_funky.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
I was 11 years old when the disco era really bloomed. Imagine the nightmare of hating it and having to live through it at the same time. That was my purgatory..
Try growing up when "gangsta rap" and its fashions were taking a firm hold. That was hellish for me.

The suit looks okay to me. The only thing I'd do is check the tag to see if it's wool. I'm surprised there aren't even any side adjusters on the trousers, but you could always get buttons for braces sewn on the inside. (or outside, of course)

Jovan

Suspended
Haha. Well at least you'd have the Beatles.

I'd get the trousers recut a bit if you'd still be interested in the suit aside from that. Like Tomasso said, it can be done by a competent tailor. I can see good potential from this find.

Rooster

Practically Family
Hey fellas I graduated highschool in 1975, I lived in the fabulous disco era. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of me in 1977 in my yellow liesure suit with monster bells, 4" platforms and HUGE collar sticking out. I actually lived the era once, don't want to do it again.:p

Jovan

Suspended
Adelle Rose said:
It's the Prince of Wales! Im from Wales :p Why's he your avatar? I sure hope you reply to me :/
Prince Charles is a style icon to a lot of people. Unfortunately he's stopped wearing bespoke suits these days. His choice, but he doesn't seem quite as elegant and his sloping shoulders are more noticeable because of it.

iammatt

Familiar Face
Jovan said:
Prince Charles is a style icon to a lot of people. Unfortunately he's stopped wearing bespoke suits these days. His choice, but he doesn't seem quite as elegant and his sloping shoulders are more noticeable because of it.

That isn't exactly right. I imagine that much of his kit is still A&S. It is not like he threw the whole lot away when he took back the Royal Warrant.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The picture is overexposed. I have quite a bit.

No, you're not getting proof.

And gold chains I don't have.

aj_funky_02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran