Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WOW DEADSTOCK 30s TIE FABRIC--ART DECO GALORE

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
My yard of no. 14 came in today. REALLY nice stuff - well worth the $35. Just begging to be made into a tie. And based on the measurements listed on each textile listing, she cut generously. For one yard, I got 24" x 51", which is about an extra 10-15 inches than what she listed. And she threw in samples. The three on the right in my pic, 9, 10, and 13 are the nicest of the five deco swatches she included (13 isn't AS blueish as it shows in my photo, but in the light, it's definitely more on the blue side.) Seriously begging to be made into a tie.

IMG_9461.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
That is stunning. I will double check the yardage requirements on the tie pattern I have. I also have wool tie interfacing.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
Oh, and upon closer inspection, the color palette of #10 and #13 are identical, so if two distinct patterned & colors are desired for a pair of optimally unique ties, #9 + #10 or #9 + #13 are the two combos I'd recommend based on the swatches (I prefer the former.)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Okay, here's the stats on my pattern, which is a McCalls from 1941. 1 yard of 24" straight cut material will yield two ties of 47" in length, constructed from two pieces. There is also a 45" long tie which is constructed from three pieces, to be made with the extra triangle of material that is leftover from cutting, so each yard should provide three neckties, two 47" and one 45". The ties are not tipped. I can also do bowties, which require much less yardage since I make them with a ribbon strap.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It takes about 3 hours to make a tie, I would request $30 labour for each tie. That covers the time and other materials needed besides the silk (thread and tie interfacing).

I would suggest an initial limited run, perhaps pick a silk, three people to cover the cost (one would be me for the first), I would purchase the silk and have it sent to my address and make up the ties. After this to make sure it runs smoothly, we could organize a larger list and figure out who wants what tie in what silk.

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
It takes about 3 hours to make a tie, I would request $30 labour for each tie. That covers the time and other materials needed besides the silk (thread and tie interfacing).

I would suggest an initial limited run, perhaps pick a silk, three people to cover the cost (one would be me for the first), I would purchase the silk and have it sent to my address and make up the ties. After this to make sure it runs smoothly, we could organize a larger list and figure out who wants what tie in what silk.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :) The question then would be: which fabric?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Given that DamianM first brought this up, I'll defer to him and suggest the first one be #13. It isn't the one I would choose for myself, though. Anyone else who likes #13, message here or PM me. If more than three are interested, we can get more yardage at the same time.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Given that DamianM first brought this up, I'll defer to him and suggest the first one be #13. It isn't the one I would choose for myself, though. Anyone else who likes #13, message here or PM me. If more than three are interested, we can get more yardage at the same time.

I would really like a bow tie in #13 if that would be possible Nick.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Johnny O, there may be enough left over for a bowtie, especially if the seller really does cut as generously as described. I'll let you know. This first run is to determine just how much can be got out of a yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo