Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrinkle me this

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Pass the starch please

After 25 years of ironing fatigues and BDU's I have become very good (and quick) at ironing - try starching a field jacket! I like 100% cotton with heavy starch.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How Many Shirts Do You Have In Rotation?

Hemingway Jones said:
A dress shirt only last about a year or so, in heavy rotation.

A shirt of decent manufacture should last a minimum of 100 wearings.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have a system; I buy my dress shirts at Brooks Brothers mostly and I buy around five or six a season. I wear these until they get a little tired: a little fraying here or there or a little fading at the collar. Then, I downgrade them for weekends and evening.

Once, they get permanent stains on the collar, I trash them. So, a white dress shirt, and I wear mostly white, will last about a year. Blue and patterns will probably last three years.

I wear a dress shirt almost every day. ;)

geo

I don't care if my shirts wrinkle, because I always wear my jacket, so the only parts of the shirt that are seen are the collar and cuffs.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I like collars and cuffs that don't look like plastic, but softer collars don't mean I like wrinkles. I iron my shirts (no starch), and all other issues equal, I prefer those that are easy to iron.

I second the baron concerning visible and covered parts - usually I iron the whole shirt, but I don't consider not doing so bad style.

As with other questions, I'd have preferred easy-to-iron shirts in the thirties, too.

What I wouldn't recommend is ironing over a shirt that got wrinkled during the day (or night, for that matter). You don't want to iron your sweat and stains in, or iron this shirt's sweat into the freshly laundered one you iron next.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I can't help that I like shirts that wrinkle. It's the nature of cotton. I like cotton, pure cotton without the baked in all cotton wrinkle freeness that is being put on the matket by nearly every retailer. Someday I might be forced into buying custom shirts as companies stop producing untampered with all cotton all together. Brooks Brothers has the shirts in spades, Nordstrom's burgundy label is starting to make the wrinkl free their staple and has phased out the wrinkleable.

It's a freak of nature that most businessmen love though I must fight. How can I look tired and disheveled with a perfectly smooth surface around my collar or my wrists. It's not fair. When I feel tired I expect my shirts to look tired. When I loosen the tie it should look like it needs to relax to match what the shirt has already done.The collar shouldn't demand that the button be fastened and the tien be tightened.

Wrinkled shirts... they don't have to start that way, though i want them to end that way.

JamesT1

Familiar Face
Try Charles Tyrwitt. Their shirts wrinkle like none other...

I was wearing one of my mtm brooks brothers shirts under a sweater yesterday and when I removed the sweater, the shirt was still, for the most part, unwrinkled:confused:. The shirt wasn't treated to be unwrinkled, however tghe cotton held it place. I was rather pleased.

James

MB5

One of the Regulars
Pretty much everything I have is wrinkled to some extent. I need to buy an iron, but I am waiting to find one I like (that I can afford).

If I want to be mostly wrinkle-free I break out my Arrow 100% Dacron shirt.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MB5 said:
Pretty much everything I have is wrinkled to some extent. I need to buy an iron, but I am waiting to find one I like (that I can afford).

If I want to be mostly wrinkle-free I break out my Arrow 100% Dacron shirt.

Don't skimp on the iron and get some Wal-Mart cheapie job. The key to a good iron is controlled heat and mass. If you need steam, a salt shaker of water will do. Weight can't be counterfeited.

Don't press on the iron, let the weight do the work and let it glide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred