Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ww2 Navy pea coat

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hi all,
My name is Nick and yesterday I purchased what I believe to be a WW2 or immediate post-war officers bridge coat. It is a 10 button (8 showing) coat with two rows of gold buttons and a zip-in liner. It is my understanding that the world war 2 coats were all 10 button (8 showing) and post war they switched to 8 button (6 showing) versions. In that respect this is a WW2 coat however the tag on the inside left breast pocket reads "manufactured for clothing supply office" and has a fouled anchor in each upper corner of the tag and a printed contract number. In reviewing other threads in this forum, this tag is said to be post-war. Can anyone help?

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Since this is your first post you won't be able to show us a pic. Do you have a link to somewhere we can view it? I have a current issue bridge coat, but I have owned own one from the early 1950s and I have never seen one with a zip-in liner.

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
I'm at work right now but as soon as I get a chance ill post pics on a site and then post the link on here. Thanks for responding!

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Forum, Nick.

It may be that you are mixing apples and oranges. When you are describing WWII and post WWII, it sounds as if you are talking about peacoats--8 buttons (showing) vs. 6 buttons. What you probably have, as you said, is an officer's bridge coat. If it has a zipper lining and ends at or below the knees, it is a bridgecoat, and the 8 buttons vs. 6 buttons thing, isn't applicable. Let's not scramble the eggs of peacoat analysis; it is difficult enough when we all know what the other is talking about!

I don't need a picture of the tag; you have described it fully. Under the first full line it should read "100% WOOL EXCLUSIVE OF ORNAMENTATION" then it will have lines for Name, Service Number, Contract Number and Size on the last line (which is centered). Many bridgecoats were private purchase items--from approved vendors. It sounds as though the one you have may have been obtained through the PX--almost an issue item, except that officers buy their uniforms. The tag you have described is a 1949 tag. At least it would have been that year if it had been on a peacoat. I am assuming the same tags were used on bridgecoats and peacoats. If not, then it isn't more than a year or two from 1949.

So that you will know, bridgecoats today still have the 8 buttons showing. I would really like to know the material this bridgecoat is made from. If you know the difference between Kersey and Melton, as used in the context of peacoat fabric, I wish you would let me know. I have a bridgecoat with no tags, and I would like to date it.

For additional information on peacoats and the dating thereof, see the article located in a sticky toward the top of this page. Or to make it easier, here is the link:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?35824-PEACOAT-DATING

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Thanks for responding Peacoat,
The tag doesn't say "exclusive of ornamentation" it only says "100% wool". Also, the size at the bottom is not centered, it is offset to the left of the tag. I wish so much hat I could post pictures! It truly is an immaculate coat. The zip in liner also has an identical tag sewn into it. Does the zip liner make it a later model? Also, I don't know he difference between Jersey and Melton wools. Would you advise?

Peacoat

Bartender
OK, that is a c.1952 tag, probably between '51 and '53.

The difference in the two types of wool is explained in the sticky--a short explanation.

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Also, has anyone ever heard of "Esquire Naval Tailors"? In the lot that the bridge coat came in there was a set of Navy dress whites and Navy dress blues. The dress blues say the are made of dacron and wool. Any idea when the dacron was introduced? The dress blues also have buillon stars on the sleeves. I thought buillon was not usedafter the war but have not studied enough to know...

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Thanks for the clarification Peacoat. I was really hoping it was ww2 era but korean war era works great too. Those soldiers were just as courageous. Does the bridge coat that you have have a zip-in liner?

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
I'm not positive what the lining is made of, it is partially wool but also partially a sheer satin-like fabric. Above about what would be about mid-back, the fabric transitions from wool to the sheer fabric which wraps all the way around the inside of the coat. Maybe rayon? I'm no fabric expert so I'm really not sure. The entire inner lining is complete. There is also a tag sewn into the back of the inner lining that says "manufactured for clothing supply office" as described in my previous posts.

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Does anyone know when Dacron/Wool blend fabric came into the picture in officer's uniforms? I have a set of Navy officer's dress blues that is marked "Dacron and Wool" on the inside. It doesn't have the typical Naval factory marking tag signifying it was made by the Navy. It seems more like it would have been a private purchase as its tag says "Esquire Naval Tailors, Main Gate". Was that fabric around during World War 2 or would it have been post-war? Thanks guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats