Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Army Officers Dress Shoes

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I found these in a second hand charity shop (brand new stock)

Amazing what is lurking in these charity shops that buy up goods through estate clearances!! And I must say, I am very pleased with them and they look lovely with my original pair of officer's pinks.

The camera doesn't seem to pick this out, but the russet of the shoe leather is nealy a perfect match for the russet of the crusher peak!!

The moral of the story chaps is that you don't have to spend a small fortune to get these items looking right with the rest of your kit. But you do need patience and perserverence in looking around, keeping your eyes peeled and knowing the style and colour to look for.

EDIT: Photo Links Broken

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Request...(for shoe laces)

Any kind soul out there have a spare pair of NOS WW2 laces for a pair of Officers low quarter brown shoes? I have been putting an old pair together again as a project and the laces are the cherry on the top now to finish them off.

Thanks in advance!!!

B-17 Pilot

New in Town
Re: Shoes to wear. . .

. . .The classic look of genuine low quarters with officer pants, chino khakis, and and A-2 is a classic look! I have a repro pair of jump boots I wear with my flight suit or HBT coveralls. The thing I am still looking for is an original pair of 3/4 high officer boots. (Size 11!) A pair of 1941 RAF flight boots would be cool too!!

Mike

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just clinched myself these original low quarter shoes!

And they still have the cream coloured sole protector that the owner stuck on them in the 40s'!

Leather is in great shape. Broken in, but not battered! A lovely reddy/brown/russet patina has developed. These just look fantastic with a pair of pinks or khakis!!!

Still looking for original laces boys, if you have an NOS pair going spare in your drawer!! :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike, not sure about the 1941 RAF boots....

B-17 Pilot said:
. . .The classic look of genuine low quarters with officer pants, chino khakis, and and A-2 is a classic look! I have a repro pair of jump boots I wear with my flight suit or HBT coveralls. The thing I am still looking for is an original pair of 3/4 high officer boots. (Size 11!) A pair of 1941 RAF flight boots would be cool too!!

Mike

As I understand, they were not well liked by aircrew and the mark of a veteran by then, was to have a pair of the 1936 boots (see pics below). The canvas uppers tended to cause a lot of problems in the 41's. I think they look great, but just were never that popular from a practical point of view, and that's why they were updated pretty quickly with the suede boots with the zipper up the front. Then they were followed by the strap across to stop the wind whipping them off if parachuting out, and finally you had the flying escape boots with the knife.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Russet (Brown) Low Quarters

Looks like the worlds only true surviving surplus store (thats what he says) has a supply of Bates Low Quarters for 39.95. I'm guessing these were for Navy Aviators, over run, seconds, who knows. I have a pair and they are OK but have the rubber sole just like COL Bubbies Surplus supply. Anyway, in case anyone is interested. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the heads up on the place to find Low quarters...

If you had a web link to this place, it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!!

(PS: Show us a pic of the ones you already have, just adds to the interest!! cheers!).

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Sorry!!!

Col Bubbies Surplus. Google it and it should on top or close. Sorry I cant figure out how to paste the web site!!!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the link Baggers.

Thanks for helping the guys out there Baggers by getting that link to the Low Quarters. Shame they don't have the leather soles, but for the price, these will do the job. Look great with a pair of Khaki K-1's.

Baggers

Practically Family
Anytime, Paddy!

BTW, they look like the same ones that I bought from Copshoes.com a few months back, only with rubber soles.

Apart from the sole, a slightly pointier last, and a difference in the way the shoe is assembled around the instep, they're almost a dead on match for yours. Too bad the prices are higher now.

Cheers!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

I got some of those Bates shoes in the other day. They look and feel plastic out of the box, but they're darn easy to wear all day and are breaking in nicely. They take a high polish too.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I know Buzz Rickson offers these,
serviceshoe.jpg

But at 400 clams it seems a bit steep. Now, I understand the production runs are probably fairly small and there was a lot of R & D that went into them, and they probably uses some mighty fine leather, so on that account I can understand the price. But for my champaign taste and beer pocket book I need a less expensive alternative. Does Buzz have the monopoly on this kind of shoe or are there less expensive and easy to access alternatives out there that I haven't seen yet?

Cheers!

Dan

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm wearing a pair of the rubber sole Bates shoes now - very comfy and after they break in, they look decent.

Also see these.

I have the Buzz Rickson's (not for THAT price) and they are 300% my favorites. They have taught me what a good shoe should be like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner