Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Aviation Scarves (RAF, USAAF, etc.)

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scarf knot

Would someone tell me how they managed to get those huge big knots in their scarfs? No matter how I try, mine ends up looking like I'm garroting myself with a hasty noose!! Please explain the process for - my throat's freezing!! -dixon cannon

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thank you Gentlemen

I've just won a Tootal scarf, WWII RAF worn, pilot provenance included (a DFC holder).
I wouldn't have had a clue where to look without this thread.

Color me grinning.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good flying boys!!

Isn't that what this place is all about!! Advising, sharing, helping, suggesting, and then bagging something you've really been after. Well done on a mission well executed. Enjoy that scarf.

Now get those photos flying up here please. Thanks in advance.

Baggers

Practically Family
Congratulations, Scott. After Alan's and desertweasel's posts, I checked out eBay as well and found two or three to put on my watch list, but I missed the one you snagged. What was the item number?

As for the "wild rags" posted in the the other thread being inappropriate to use as flying scarves, I quite agree. But one of my other interests is early desert exploration and the desert war in WW2. Those scarves seemed just the job for use as a cravat/dust mask such as those worn by the "Two Types" crowd in Cairo.

Cheers!

Dixon Cannon

As I was saying...

Scarf knot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would someone tell me how they managed to get those huge big knots in their scarfs? No matter how I try, mine ends up looking like I'm garroting myself with a hasty noose!! Please explain the process for that - my throat's freezing!! -dixon cannon

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Would someone tell me how they managed to get those huge big knots in their scarfs? No matter how I try, mine ends up looking like I'm garroting myself with a hasty noose!! Please explain the process for that - my throat's freezing!! -dixon cannon

Here's a little something that might help.

Dixon Cannon

Well that was simple...

Doc" Devereux][URL="http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/scarves.html said:
Here[/URL]'s a little something that might help.

Thanks Doc! Some one these guys have these huge, multi-knot bundles under their necks. Have you ever seen that? I'll find a picture and post it.

-dixon cannon

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Scarf knot

I'm not sure what 'knot' you mean or what look you're going for, but if its WW2 (the subject of this thread)there is no knot involved. It's just across the back of your neck so the two ends hang equally down your chest, cross left end over right, bring it up through loop at front of neck and drop down. Adjust and then tuck into jacket or shirt.

Whether this is 'big' or small' depends on the width of the scarf, not the knot. See this link. WC Bader's scarf is a wide scarf so it looks 'big', whereas the pilot second from the right has a narrow white scarf (probably an opera scarf).

http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/bader/bader.htm

A scarf of the type most often worn by RAF pilots (e.g a Tootal) is 48" long and 11" wide, and is very bulky. That makes it look big.

Alan

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thanks for that link Doc...

I'm still attempting to track down one of those AAF white scarves that are always seen in photos (a good one, not the one I'm wearing in the avatar). Perhaps I'll just have one made out of silk, rayon, or Egyptian cotton. As for the colors, it's already been said that pilots went with a lot besides the basic white. I inherited my grandfather's silk scarf...blazing red with the 334th Fighter Squadron's fighting eagle embroidered on it. It's just too nice for wearing. I'll have to get photos uploaded soon!

Twitch

As a kid I wore my Dad's flying scarf till it was in shreds. But is was pure silk.
spitfire.gif

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Scarf

The scarf came in the mail today from the UK. From the seller:

It belonged to my uncle Basil White, who actually won the DFC for bravery, which he received from the King George V1 at Buckingham Palace. He was a navigator, and flew with the same squadron as Guy Gibson on the bouncing bomb raids. He died a couple of years ago, and was a great Favourite uncle.

Also Rough Wear 1401P, Officer's Low Quarter shoes.

jacket_shoes.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Parting with family heirlooms...

If I had my uncle's or father's flying scarf from the war, would I be able to bring myself to sell it?

Easy answer: NO.

So why do these younger relatives sell these items that mean so much?[huh]

mikepara

Practically Family
Its easy..

...to part with items if they are not actually your Grandads..Cynical Moi!

A nice period scarf picked up at thrift etc for £2.00. Your Grandad was a navigator .. sell it as an old scarf? or add a tale and your selling a hopefully much more valuable old navigators scarf?

Nice item but I'm doughting it was his Grandads. Still those old pieces come from somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran