Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
I ran across this on ebay. This guy (diamonddave726) is going to be opening a "store" to sell this. Sounds awesome since Eastman has ceased making their "Crushers". I have it bookmarked so I can watch for his store to open but you can contact him through ebay. Seems like a real nice guy to deal with as I have e-mailed him multiple times.

From our soon to be published website:

We are fascinated by the “Crusher” cap. More than likely, if you’re visiting our listing, you are, too. After years of studying and collecting these great items, we decided to make copies of them that would be reasonable alternatives to the originals that we’ve worn. Donning originals today can be a risky prospect...a lasting piece of WWII history should be preserved as well as possible.

Whether to a “Hangar Dance” or an Air Show, we want to wear crusher caps, just like those amazing originals! There are many reproductions available, with varying degrees of authenticity and material choices. Most of these are now made abroad, and very few seem to capture that “rakish”, worn-in, Fighter/Bomber pilot look. Our desire is to go a little further and create caps that emulate the qualities of originals, faults and greatness included. Not to simply make repro “Service Caps” that have had the grommet removed. Many of these others, seem to always be made incorrectly and lack most of the correct details (i.e. Top stitching of all fabric components and crushable brims) "Roll it up and put it in your pocket" was a common quote of the day regarding these very pliable and functional caps, and our caps make this a modern reality.

In the 1940s, caps were mass-produced by a great many companies and among the best known today is the “Flighter” by Bancroft. We at Diamond Cap Co. Have decided to reproduce this great piece of Americana as the first of many contracts, which we will be making.

This cap includes:

a) Single ply, glove soft, leather brim and hand-made leather components.
b) Single-needle sewn, 100% Wool Gabardine toppers (Original period fabric, while supplies last),
c) Mohair bands, hand-dyed at our factory.
d) Hand-made and sewn sheepskin sweatbands, correctly blanket-stitched into the interior of the cap.
e) Choice of color combinations to include, OD Dark shade #51, Light Shade #54 “Pink”, 11 oz. gabardine toppers. Summer weight Khaki worsted wool, as well as 3 shades of Mohair to choose from.
In short, these caps are truly bespoke items, made for every individual taste.

We will customize for every customer, so a Diamond Cap Co. “Flighter” will be tailored based on information the customer provides. We want to ensure that you not only like how the cap is made, but that it fits just as you'd want. This level of customization was available during WWII, but generally, reserved for those Officers with a lot of disposable income, and a private tailor. So whether you need a “Pink” topper with OD mohair to complete your collection or just have a size 8 head, we can make a cap for you.

We hope to grow exponentially and are also planning a fully hand tailored “Flight Weight” and “Luxenberg” cap in short order.

We have much more information about our caps, how they are made, the materials used, and we would encourage you to contact us.

Lastly, A HUGE thanks to all of those that saw the last listing of my hats and have already ordered custom items. It is much appreciated and is only serving to speed up the "Hard Launch" of our line! Thats right folks ask me about custom ordering your size today! diamonddave726

Speedster

Practically Family
Thanks for sharing priestytboy.

They will apparently sell for around $ 300.-. Found these pictures of his cap:

ced3_3.jpg

cda9_3.jpg

cfc8_3.jpg

d0e2_3.jpg

d262_3.jpg

d3f7_3.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
USW caps

I have one in khaki twill covering. The thing with them is: they're way too tall.
crush_capkhaki.jpg

Military looks have changed a lot since WW2 and today's service cap is much broader, higher and stiffer. This is pretty much that kind of cap, except there's no grommet inside the crown.
I finally got mine to crush nicely, but the outer band is still very high compared to the real thing.

Micawber

A-List Customer
Back in the days when I collected such things I always made a B line for large size Bancroft Flighter's. I've been out of such things for some years now - are good original Flighter's still around much?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Micawber - I find Flighters on eBay fairly regularly (along with standard service visors).

As for the Eastman crushers...they are Lancasters! The Lancaster crusher also used to be sold by Garcia Aviation. The Lancaster Hat Company ceased production of its repro crusher. Garcia was the first to sell out of its stock (they had the best prices). Eastman just recently sold out (in fact I snagged the last one in my size :D ). But here's the inside scoop direct from Eastman to me...if you want a crusher, call them now! Eastman is putting together a "waiting list" of sorts and is working with a company to offer a new reproduction crusher. The more people on "the list" the higher the demand will seem and the more likely the hats will be on the market soon. I don't know if they will be Lancasters or this new company, Diamond Headwear (which, btw, look really great!).

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Back in the '80s I bought the same cap as the US Wings cap through the Ken Nolan catalog, and like Fletch said, it's too tall! I bought the OD example, and it's just a little too green, not quite the proper shade of OD. The khaki one has a visor that is too dark. A friend of mine bought one of those, and the visor is such a dark brown it almost looks black from a distance. Unfortunately I haven't seen much else in that price range that would be any better.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
How about an enlisted man's crusher cap?

>> Broken Photo Link <<

Okay, not a true crusher as the original owner only removed the stiffener. But it did come in a USAAF grouping and the headset fits perfectly with the shape of the cap. Hmm, maybe, just maybe... [huh]

>> Broken Photo Link <<

Edit: btw, scotrace, I like the new avatar. Very enlightened looking.

Hondo

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Micawber - I find Flighters on eBay fairly regularly (along with standard service visors).

As for the Eastman crushers...they are Lancasters! The Lancaster crusher also used to be sold by Garcia Aviation. The Lancaster Hat Company ceased production of its repro crusher. Garcia was the first to sell out of its stock (they had the best prices). Eastman just recently sold out (in fact I snagged the last one in my size :D ). But here's the inside scoop direct from Eastman to me...if you want a crusher, call them now! Eastman is putting together a "waiting list" of sorts and is working with a company to offer a new reproduction crusher. The more people on "the list" the higher the demand will seem and the more likely the hats will be on the market soon. I don't know if they will be Lancasters or this new company, Diamond Headwear (which, btw, look really great!).

$300 seems a bit extreme, expensive I (and others) feel lucky having paid under $200, This Diamond crusher doesn’t quite have the Eastman Lancaster look, but isn't bad, its the price that bothers me so for those still looking for a crusher, keep searching hopes alive, just an opinion.

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Well, maybe I shouldn't tell you fellas about the original 50 mission crushes in both green and khaki that I found in Goodwill stores years ago for a couple of bucks each. Even walked out with a visored officer's cap from WWI for 50 cents.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
From reading the thread, I am now wondering. Is there a difference between the officer's cap and the enlisted cap other than the badge? Is the officrs cap softer so it can be crushed or rolled?

Mike K.

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
From reading the thread, I am now wondering. Is there a difference between the officer's cap and the enlisted cap other than the badge? Is the officrs cap softer so it can be crushed or rolled?
The biggest difference is in the woven band. If you look at enlisted visors, the top piece and the woven band are about the same color (at least on the OD versions). The band itself is also of a different weave than found on the officers visor. It doesn't have to do with the softness or "roll-ability." The style difference also coordinates with that of the dress uniform. The darker shade OD and the color contrasts (e.g. pinks & greens) in the dress uniform immediately set apart the officer from the enlisted man.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
I have one in khaki twill covering. The thing with them is: they're way too tall.
crush_capkhaki.jpg

Military looks have changed a lot since WW2 and today's service cap is much broader, higher and stiffer. This is pretty much that kind of cap, except there's no grommet inside the crown.
I finally got mine to crush nicely, but the outer band is still very high compared to the real thing.

I bought one of these monstrosities once in a pinch and a rush. What I finally did was go in for surgery and removed the entire head-liner material (which is made of a mesh fabric about the consistency of window screen!). After I did the head-liner resection, I put a tube of foam-rubber shaper in the fold of the crown. I also wittled down the stiffener at the front of the crown so that it's not so high. Finally, the hat has begun to look normal. Except of course for the horrible color of brown used for the brim and strap! Why don't these manufacturers just use the proper russet color to begin with? Anyway, too much work for something that should have be right from the beginning.

So the question becomes, do you want to spend that much time trying to make something better rather than just spending the additional for a quality cap that is correct from the beginning? I shoulda.

-dixon cannon

Mike K.

One Too Many
Most of the good quality reproductions are selling for around $200.

Most of the originals are also going for around $200.

Your average high-quality fur felt fedora goes for....

Well, you get the picture. You get what you pay for. It may be a lot of money but it's a worthwhile investment (assuming you put it to use occasionally).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou