Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

Highlander

A-List Customer
Fifty Mission Crush

What was the standard for the Fifty Mission Crush? From what I read 25 missions?

Also, the chin strap on the visor/peak cap... is is worn as a chin strap? or is another added for that? Is the chin strap ever worn over the top (such as the head phones of pilots for the fifty mission crush)... Just a few thoughts running through my head.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Hmm. The only time I've seen the chin strap, used as a chin strap, was on parade, while very windy.

It's not worn over the top of the hat either. Unless you happen to be a police officer in New Jersey.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have only seens pics of cadets using the chin strap. As for 50 missions; The ETO had a 25 mission cut off and that was for bombers(went to 35 late in war). I think the ETO fighter guys used hours to mark their tours. I am not sure what the requirement was in the PTO.

alden405

A-List Customer
Cavalrymen wore the chinstrap down when mounted as did various postwar Constabulary and MP horse units
I also have photos of Motorcycle MPs wearing the chinstrap down
some flash dudes had a secondary chinstrap added and worn on the rear of the cap

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Somewhere out there is a picture of de Fuhrer using his chin strap on his peaked cap. I don't think he got fifty mission in either! You know, the guys that got real fifty-mission crushes on their service caps were the cargo and transport pilots. They generally flew below ten thousand feet, didn't need an oxygen mask and put their headsets right over their caps. Bomber and fighter pilots did most of their work above ten thousand feet, requiring oxygen and leather flying helmets. I think in most cases a fifty-mission crush was obtained in the evening back at base, manipulating the caps appearance while lying in the bunk, to be honest with you!

-dixon cannon

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
I think in most cases a fifty-mission crush was obtained in the evening back at base, manipulating the caps appearance while lying in the bunk, to be honest with you!

-dixon cannon

You may be right. I have a great 50-mission crusher that belonged to someone who flew a desk at the War Department in Washington!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
KilroyCD said:
You may be right. I have a great 50-mission crusher that belonged to someone who flew a desk at the War Department in Washington!

It wasn't by chance from trips to the bar, with the cap rolled up and stuffed in a pocket was it? 50 weekend passes off base, would put you as having been in the war for some time...

Matt

kampkatz

Practically Family
My late F-in-L did not fly often, as he was the aviation engineering officer in charge of runway construction at the bases he was assigned to. As a matter of fact, he dreaded flying and travelled by ground whenever given the option. After the war he never got on an airplane again, and he died in 1997 not regretting the decision. Yet, he wore the crush cap look like all the other officers(I have the two he kept). I guess it was the attitude, "when in Rome..."

alden405

A-List Customer
Here are some Constabulary troopers from the 4th Constabulary Regiment in occupied Austria
Chinstraps down

Copyofimg448-1.jpg

p51

One Too Many
Nothing new there. Soldiers have been copying the “veteran look” for generations. Marines going to the Pacific would often wad up their new uniforms in cargo nets and pull them behind the troop ships to "salt" them up and make them look well worn so they wouldn't stand out. When I was active duty Army, everyone had to have the “Ranger roll” on their soft caps. In WW2, it was the crush look. Entire lines of visor caps (called “crushers”) were made to be folded and never had the metal reinforcing rod in place. LOTS of people took those rods out to emulate the look. Heck, even war correspondents did it!
Bill Mauldin even did a cartoon about it, four officers with crushers on, one wearing the overseas cap (the one that looks like an envelope) and turns out THAT guy was the only Air Corps officer in the bunch!

Edward

Bartender
There's a lovely little scene in The Red Baron which has a nod to a similar thing among the..... what were the German Airforce called in 1916? Pre-Luftwaffe, I believe.... anyhow.... Von Richthoffen is seen wearing a very fetching grey crusher-type cap throughout (I think, as would have been historically correct, he never wears an actual uniform in combat). When his little brother arrives to join Von Richthoffen's Flying Circus, the first thing the Baron does is give him a lecture on his dress, which commences with snatching his visor cap from off his head and uncremoniously ripping out the wire, stating "here, it looks better like this.". I have no idea how historically accurate that is, but maybe some things really are universal....

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Slightly :eek:fftopic:
From my own time in the forces, I remember that we - among all the other stuff - were given two fielduniforms.
One new and one used - the latter for the harder work, I guesse.

At the first parade about 1/3 of us stepped up in the used ones.
No need to look like a recruits :D

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
(I think, as would have been historically correct, he never wears an actual uniform in combat)

Actually Edward, both you and your film are incorrect. VR, as with virtually every other aviator of this period, always wore his uniform under his flying kit. Although his flying kit changed through the course of the war.

BTW, the "Pre-Luftwaffe" was called the Luftstreitkräfte and very early in the war as Die Fliegertruppen (des deutschen Kaiserreiches).

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Richtofen

Manfred von Richtofen is shown in several photos wearing what can be described as a crush hat! It seemed to be popular with the Prussian Cavalry, which he came from. As for proper uniform, it was reported he was wearing pajamas under his flight suit on his final mission.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Stearmen said:
As for proper uniform, it was reported he was wearing pajamas under his flight suit on his final mission.

Hi Stearman,

Like many rumours and anecdotes about VR that has never been fully substantiated. The fact is that the vast majority of Central Power airmen (just as with their Allied counterparts) wore their uniforms under their personal flying kit. In part this was so that if shot down and captured, the airman was able to wear his correct and proper uniform whilst being in internment. Photos exist of VR donning his kit over uniform (IIRC, there are some from the famous series of photos of Jasta 11 from March 1917).

Apologies to the original thread starter for going off topic on this. I'll leave it there!

Edward

Bartender
Smithy said:
Actually Edward, both you and your film are incorrect. VR, as with virtually every other aviator of this period, always wore his uniform under his flying kit. Although his flying kit changed through the course of the war.

Probably me's got it wrong, I didn't look so closely at the uniforms, to be honest, more interested in the civilian clothes. I'll have to watch it again - he may well have the uniform tunic on under that big jumper and/or the flying jacket...

BTW, the "Pre-Luftwaffe" was called the Luftstreitkräfte and very early in the war as Die Fliegertruppen (des deutschen Kaiserreiches).

Ah, that was it, thanks.... I couldn't remember (they do get it rightg in the film).

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad was in the Army Air Corps during WW II. He was an aerial engineer on C-47 transports. I distinctly recall him referring to the cap as a "20 mission crush". I also recall my Dad saying that the Air Corps looked "like a bunch of Gypsies", as each unit (and often each individual soldier) had some "variation of the uniform" that set them apart from the rest.

My understanding of the genesis of the 50-Mission Crush was that shortly before the war Air Corps pilots removed the stiffener from their peaked service caps to facilitate the wearing of headphones in flight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn