Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those photos are great!!

Thanks for sharing those photos! I wish we had things on that scale over in the UK, but there are only a few things like that (probably no where on the size you would get in the US).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And again, with the A-2...

Aero, oil pull repro A-2 (that's Aero Scotland, not Beacon NY, which the first pic A-2 with Wee Willie sqdn patch).

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say, did you have a chance to go to Normandy for the 60th anniversary of D-Day? I had some friends of mine go and they did tons of Reenacting! They took some cool photos as well. I'll try and dig some up soon.

Cheers.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Just got my replica crusher from Garcia Aviation Co. and I have to say it is without a doubt an A+, the best, none better, I love it. Well, I will have a detailed review and pics to follow very soon. But I found something interesting. I went to take a look at the Eastman Leather crusher on their site, I have looked at this picture about a hundred times, wanting one of thei crushers. Here is the pic from their site, pay attention to the pic of the inside of the cap.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Only difference that I can spot is that the eastman brim is constructed with a welt and suede underside. Otherwise, dead ringer.

Neat! Glad I could point you in the right direction, Bogie.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I spotted that as well Wingnut, what I am really speculating here is that Eastman has their crusher made by the same company as Garcia, being Lancaster. I am waiting for a reply to the email I sent to Eastman asking them who manufactures their crusher, I am hoping they Lancaster, lol. I have a stronge feeling the Garcia is practically the same cap other than the details of the brim and the fact that Eastmans comes with an authentic replica cap device, which Garcia also offers but as a seperate item. Now, I have never seen a Eastman crusher in person, but I would really like to get my hands one to compare it to the Garcia. Another question, Lancaster states it has been around since 1929, so Lancaster could have made crushers back in the day, I mean with the numberous companies making crushers, dress uniforms, and A-2 for AAF personel, it's very possible, or maybe they did, Wingnut will know better than I. I have done a lot of research into crushers and the manufacturers but never really ran across a vintage example made by Lancaster.

Moving on to my review of the Garcia crusher:

Well, from the first moment Wingnut posted pics of his Garcia crusher I had a really good feeling my quest for a accurate yet affordable crusher was at an end. Well, after doing some comparing with other fellow AAF and crusher owners, I decided to go with the Garcia, mainly from Wingnut's review of the cap. I have to say the service was great even after I was informed they were out of the tan which I had also ordered, but they really took care of me and gave me a good feeling so I was not bothered by it. Waiting for the cap was one of those things where I really could not wait to get it. My first impression pulling the cap out of the box was, simply, WOW. This cap is top notch it is perfectly floppy and crusher perfect without any really help. All you have to do is put it on and press down the sides and boom, perfect crusher. After a while, a short while, you don't have to use your hands to press down the sides, it just goes natural after a day or so. I mean this cap is made like a crusher, it is floppy, they way they are supposed to be. My pefect vintage crusher is Greg Peck's from Twelve O'clock High, I love the way his cap looks in that film and the Garcia crusher looks just like it, it is perfect.

One recommendation is if you don't own a vintage cap device, order one of their replicas along with your cap when you shop at Garcia, they are nice, I have seen those before. I have several vintage cap devices I have found in shops over the years, so I was ok on that point. Once you put a period cap device on the crusher is just sets the cap off. The color of the cap is perfect, the dark chocolate OD is dead on and the gabardene is of a fine quality. The leather of the cap is soft and supple, just as it should be on a crusher. The only complaint I have is the that the brim is not very shinny, but that can be fixed easily, and the the color of the leather is a little dark, but my vintage crusher's leather is darker anyway so I don't think it matters. I have seen a lot of vintage crushers and that sort of thing fluctuates from cap to cap on originals, because of the vast number of manufacturers.

Overall I give this cap an A, a 9 1/2 on a scale of 10, with the Eastman just above it with the more proper brim and device. But I have to say this, honestly as of right now I don't feel that the Eastman is that much better to outway the great quality of the Garcia cap and the reasonable price they offer. Garcia as a company combines quality/accurate products at prices that won't break the bank, I would highly recommend you shop with them whenever you need a peice of gear.

In closing I am thrilled with my Garcia crusher, and am 100% satisfied with my business with the company and their product. The cap is perfect, the fit is perfect, the style, construction, and level of accruacy is perfect. My compliments to Wingnut for pointing me in the right direction, thank you.

PICS COMING SOON!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
They didn't give you a device along with the cap? Hrm. I thought mine came free, but I could be wrong.

Off on a tangent here:

Vintage devices are actually pretty inexpensive, as long as you're not getting them from the typical dealer that thinks anything that old is priceless. My best device (I have 3, one was the repro I got along with my crusher, the other a VERY heavy solid brass Bancroft) is an unmarked very large (3 1/4" tall) straight-wing early war eagle. These are a bit difficult to find. It's not perfect, has a few spots of tarnish that won't come off, etc...cost? $9. Screamin' deal. Don't pay more than $15 for a cap device unless it's MINT, LARGE, and most importantly, not bent. Many guys bent back the tail, wingtips and star field on their eagles to conform to the cap, especially on the larger eagles. Even if you do find a nice & perfect hallrmarked example, it's not worth more than $25- $30. Garcia offers vintage devices at $20, just make sure you ask them to give you a large one over the phone, they're usually accomodating.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
No, my Garcia crusher did come with a device, a modern device that is. I replaced it with one of my vintage devices. I have found a lot of vintage devices in those table top type glass cases in antique stores for next to nothing sometimes, a buck, they often say. The device on my vintage crusher is a British made straight winged type device. The one I put on my Garcia replica crusher is one of those large straight winged devices, which I really prefer the large sized vintage devcies over the small, just me. But there is nothing worse than a modern cap device on a WWII style crusher, replacing the modern device is a must. Even though, there was one design during WWII that looked very similar to the modern style device, of course with a more subdued finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24