Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Crusher and Garrison Caps

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:

Interesting. They show a cap called the "Lee Flight by Berkshire" and the logo on the box leads me to believe that it's the same company that made mine - but the liner, sweatband, and grommet are all different. I wonder if mine's older or newer. I also wonder if the Lee of crusher caps was the same as the Lee of fedoras - it seems Dobbs was a maker.

I also thought this was fascinating:

Crush caps in khaki shades appear to be primarily of the wool worsted material but, due to the limited numbers of these around, this observation may not be accurate.

Mine is khaki and has a tag that says "100% Wool" on the inside, so it would seem to back up this observation.

Thanks for the link, Nick.

-Dave

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
US Wings "Big Bad@ss Cold War He-Man Style" khaki saucer. It's spent many hours under heavy boxes and books to look like this. Next step may be the washing machine.
2118404176_15343e8f23.jpg

Cutters worn at the Army regulation angle make me look bald. Worn parallel to the deck in Navy fashion they merely make me look dangerously stupid.

Pip

A-List Customer
As Spitfire says, quite fond of the RAF SD Cap when its been worn and abused.

Here's a photo of myself and a friend at a recent event (please excuse my friends modern beer can, it was after the public had gone home). I'm the one to the front wearing the crushed SD cap.

Tried to give it an early kodacolour look:eek:

svr-1.jpg

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
In my Army days, I avoided the garrison cap as much as possible, in favor of my "uncrushed crusher." I always imagined myself in the khakis with the A2 and crusher, a pistol belt with my .45 slung low on my hip with extra mag pouches and a knife on my left. A man of action, with the hat to top it off!

kampkatz

Practically Family
In my Navy days(early 70's) the garrison cap was preferable simply because when we took them off we could stuff them in our belts. The stiffeners had to stay in our regular covers so we always had to stow them somewhere when indoors where they were safe from being crushed. With an A2 I like to use my late father-in law's khaki crusher.

Story

I'll Lock Up
the farcical crusher

Orson Welles as Brigadier General Dreedle in CATCH-22
catch22.jpg

and Yossarian
Yossarian.jpg

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Scrambled Eggs"?

Which of course, now raises the question; did senior officers in the USAAF have 'scrambled eggs' on the visor of their cap? I don't think so! I've never seen any WWII AAF General with 'scrambled eggs' - Arnold, Spaatz, Eaker, Doolittle, etc. Not even Ike had scrambled eggs. This must be a Hollywood affectation, no?

-dixon cannon

I'll start trawling the databases, see if I can figure out when the US adopted scrambled-eggs. In the meantime, for my own preferences: WWMD? (What Would Mac Do?)

For "why": Mac's hat was his old Philippine Army cap, other than the fact that he was never one to ditch old clothes I suspect he was trying to send a message to the Philippine people about "I haven't forgotten, I'll come back for you as soon as I can." The impression I get is that he was very big on symbolic gestures, even to the level of having his first set of five-star insignia made from melted-down American, British, Dutch, Aussie and Philippine coins IIRC.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some additional 'Mac' hat info:

Field marshal of the Philippines was a rank created in 1937 to be held by Douglas MacArthur. MacArthur was accorded the rank as military advisor to the Philippine government, which retained his services to form an army in response to the growing danger from Japan and the rising chance of war in the Pacific.

MacArthur wore no special insignia as field marshal of the Philippines except a modification to his army officer’s cap. To the standard gold-trimmed visor of a US general's cap, MacArthur added gilt trim to the front body of the cap, above the visor. MacArthur referred to this modified headdress as his "Philippine field marshal['s] cap" and wore it for the duration of World War II and into the Korean War. However, the modified army headdress was against regulations, and MacArthur never officially obtained permission to wear this as a part of his uniform.

After 1946, the rank of field marshal disappeared from the Philippine military and today is obsolete (the highest rank now obtainable is that of general).

-dixon cannon

plain old dave

A-List Customer
service-whites-khakis.jpg

At the extreme right. Garrison caps are all Naval Aviators (and most officers and Chiefs) wear, given a choice. Less maintainence and space taken up.

Pip

A-List Customer
Hi Dave,

they pop up on ebay fairly regularly, usually go for 10-20 US Dollars.

Will PM you links if I find any.

Phil

sherri bomb

New in Town
ww2 crusher cap?

I hope you guys don't mind me cutting in here.
My bf recently purchased a U.S. visor cap online...working on his collection, but has been unable to identify the exact year it was made. I've been looking as well but haven't seen any caps that have the black bill...only brown.
crushcrush.jpg

I am almost certain the bill is black. But maybe it's dark brown? Anyways, any kind of info would be great.

-Thanks!

**EDIT**!!

I just noticed the part of emblem is missing. The "circle" above the eagle. I'm guessing this decreases the value of the hat?? :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy