Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII German sizes

Paden

Vendor
Hi everybody,

I hope, somebody can help me!
I am searching for the size range of german flight jackets in WWII.
Are they simlar to the US sizes or did they us other sizes?

Today US 42 is EU 48.

Best regards,

Ingo

John Lever

One Too Many
Paden said:
Hi John,

is 52 a vintage size or a modern size?
Ah ! don't know the answer to that. In fact how do the two sizes relate ?
For example, a size 36 [ inches]US is not a size 92 [cm] in European size.
What do the numbers actually refer to?

Clearly 52 is both a modern and vintage size. Just a size after all.

This is something i've always wondered about Euro gear (German leather being an exemplar). I happen to be a 34 UK/US. This equates to a vintage German 44. Weird. (34 * 2.54) / 2 is just over 43. Maybe this is it? The euro size is half the centimetre measurement? It kinda works out. (42 * 2.54)/ 2 = ~53 . . . all approximate, of course, but it's pretty close.

bk

John Lever said:
The rule of thumb I use is the German size is 10 more than US/UK.
54 is 44 and so on.

That's right. But what does 52, let's say, refer to in the German/Eurozone vintage system? It's not the number of inches in cm, it's not the size in inches. My scheme kinda works, (marked size = half the size in cm) but i don't suggest it's perfect. And then the question remains why on earth the sizing system would be set up in such a way.

bk

Sonero

Practically Family
I have been eyeing a jacket made in Germany but the sizing is confusing.

Size is listed as XXL with a 65cm chest size...Hmmm ? 65cm comes out to 25 inches USA. That doesn't make sense at all.

I am a 50 inch chest USA or 131cm's. A 3XL in Australian clothing.

Does anyone know what size I am in German clothing ? The seller ( who sells to an international customer base) was not able to tell me...and I HATE when people assume you know how to use a a tape measure and lay things flat on the table. It drives me...NUTZ.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925