Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Khaki Trousers - Originals and Reproductions

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Doug C said:
Hey if anyone's interested I have a new [NWT] pair (well I wore 'em one day) of reproduction WWII regulation khakis from Ralph Lauren's RRL line, that I'll be putting in the classified section soon. They are an olive drab color which are a refreshing break from light tan chinos and are size 36X34. Really nice reproductions, retailed for $185.00 new - make an offer, I'll let them go pretty cheap. btw, I will be replacing them with the same ones in a size smaller, they're awesome.

Doug C

Are these new production, or the ones RRL produced a few years ago?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
itainthalfhot.jpg

The Boys from "It ain't half hot mum"

A Britsh tv show from 1974, set in india during the war

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=newidJ2l8ho&feature=PlayList&p=D19DBA85A054A92C&playnext=1&index=38

Doug C

Practically Family
I posted a nice pair of vintage inspired chinos in the classifieds if anyone's interested.

Doug C

volatile

A-List Customer
grant said:
A good friend of mine was able to get me a pair of the Buzz Rickson 1942 khaki trousers from Japan. These are probably the finest reproduction khaki trousers I've seen since I bought a pair of the old MASH M-41 trousers. From the metal US Army button fly, spot on beige/ khaki color, government spec label, correct high waist cut, wide cut legs with no taper to the deep cotton drill pockets these are really amazing reproducitons. Here's the link to the website where they were ordered from:

http://www.mil-mil.net/jeans/toyo/trousers.html

Grant

Help! Anyone speak Japanese! :)

Doug C

Practically Family
You don't need to speak japanese to speak to Mario Kenjo at Milwaukee. He uses some sort of translator. Send him an email (in English) with just what you're interested in... give him the model number, the size you want, color if applicable and ask him to check the inventory and give you a total price. Try to make your message as simple as possible, no humor or bs (it'll be lost in translation). Mario's a very good guy to deal with.

Doug C

cmjordan77

One of the Regulars
trousers

I have a pair of Dockers K-1 khakis and these are the best I have ever worn.
I hate to say, but I had a pair of them size 36 I just sold on EBAY For $70. Sad to say I am in a 38 now :eusa_doh: I would get the Buzz Rickson's but the largest I have seen is a size 35. You can find them on Ebay, I have a reseller I use in Japan and he can get them if someone is interested I can send you his user id. He is legitimate as well. He has their tanker jackets and other stuff like that.
I have seen BILL's khaki's but I like the flat front like the Dockers have. There is an AERO site that still has some K-1's larger sizes and small, all their 36 & 38's are sold out. There may be 1 pair of 38X34 or 38X36's left.
If anyone wants the link for the site where you can buy some of these k-1's let me know and I will send it over.
I even emailed dockers several times and begged them to reintroduce their K-1's. I received a reply that they will " send this to the appropriate dept" and see what they can do. So, if the K-1's come back out by dockers, you can thank me for this, :p (Like this would ever happen, ha!)

Thank you

volatile

A-List Customer
cmjordan77 said:
I have a pair of Dockers K-1 khakis and these are the best I have ever worn.
I hate to say, but I had a pair of them size 36 I just sold on EBAY For $70. Sad to say I am in a 38 now :eusa_doh: I would get the Buzz Rickson's but the largest I have seen is a size 35. You can find them on Ebay, I have a reseller I use in Japan and he can get them if someone is interested I can send you his user id. He is legitimate as well. He has their tanker jackets and other stuff like that.
I have seen BILL's khaki's but I like the flat front like the Dockers have. There is an AERO site that still has some K-1's larger sizes and small, all their 36 & 38's are sold out. There may be 1 pair of 38X34 or 38X36's left.
If anyone wants the link for the site where you can buy some of these k-1's let me know and I will send it over.
I even emailed dockers several times and begged them to reintroduce their K-1's. I received a reply that they will " send this to the appropriate dept" and see what they can do. So, if the K-1's come back out by dockers, you can thank me for this, :p (Like this would ever happen, ha!)

Thank you

Please do share that username. I found an English distributor - Eastman Leather - but they won't have stock until summer...

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Witchie (as she likes me to call her) and I are good friends. We meet regularly beneath the lamp-post. I tell her she's "hot" in a cold sort of way...

Anyway, I was mistaken about there being two pairs of Buzz Rickson M1942 chinos languishing in my closet. There is only one pair of those. The other pair (about which I was mistaken) are original postwar issue chinos (they have a feint DSA number on the waistband). Although postwar, they are of the same cloth and the same cut as the wartime style with the following differences; brown resin fly buttons instead of stamped metal, slightly wider belt loops, button-through back pockets. They are the same rise and same leg width as the M1942 model but have been taken in at the waist, which makes them seem extra baggy, which people seem to like. They are in very good condition and are about your size as quoted. For 25 GBP including postage they are yours. Let me know if you want precise measurements or photos.

volatile said:
Beware the White Witch... with the treats you seem to have in that there closet of yours, it must lead to Narnia! :)

volatile

A-List Customer
H.Johnson said:
Witchie (as she likes me to call her) and I are good friends. We meet regularly beneath the lamp-post. I tell her she's "hot" in a cold sort of way...

Anyway, I was mistaken about there being two pairs of Buzz Rickson M1942 chinos languishing in my closet. There is only one pair of those. The other pair (about which I was mistaken) are original postwar issue chinos (they have a feint DSA number on the waistband). Although postwar, they are of the same cloth and the same cut as the wartime style with the following differences; brown resin fly buttons instead of stamped metal, slightly wider belt loops, button-through back pockets. They are the same rise and same leg width as the M1942 model but have been taken in at the waist, which makes them seem extra baggy, which people seem to like. They are in very good condition and are about your size as quoted. For 25 GBP including postage they are yours. Let me know if you want precise measurements or photos.

Sold! I'd like to see some pics, though...

:)

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I'm glad this thread has been revived. It's almost summer and I'm down to one pair of Bill's M1s and one pair of Dockers K-1 khakis. I refuse to buy from Bill's since they decided they could make more money by selling only pants that are pre-worn out and adding $100 to the price. I didn't really like the tapered leg cut anyway.

Now I'm wondering where to go for my button fly khaki fix. The Buzz Ricksons look like the best but getting them seems to be a problem. (Or maybe I'm just not bright enough to figure it out)

Any suggestions? Alternatives? Walk-in sources in the Seattle area?

Oh yeah. My actual waist measurement is 36, I just checked:eek: Most of my pants, however are size 32 to 34 and seem to fit just fine. Marketing I guess:D Inseam 32

Burnsie

Orvil Newton said:
I'm glad this thread has been revived. It's almost summer and I'm down to one pair of Bill's M1s and one pair of Dockers K-1 khakis. I refuse to buy from Bill's since they decided they could make more money by selling only pants that are pre-worn out and adding $100 to the price. I didn't really like the tapered leg cut anyway.

Now I'm wondering where to go for my button fly khaki fix. The Buzz Ricksons look like the best but getting them seems to be a problem. (Or maybe I'm just not bright enough to figure it out)

Any suggestions? Alternatives? Walk-in sources in the Seattle area?

Oh yeah. My actual waist measurement is 36, I just checked:eek: Most of my pants, however are size 32 to 34 and seem to fit just fine. Marketing I guess:D Inseam 32

There's a pair of Buzz Khakis in 34 on ebay right now - can't post an active listing but searh on Buzz Rickson and you'll see them...Worth the price by the way, from personal experience - I have 2 pairs ('41 and "original spec") and compared to originals (which I also have) they blow all others away!!!!!

Doug C

Practically Family
burnsie wrote:
There's a pair of Buzz Khakis in 34 on ebay right now -

Hey folks skip those ebay ones, I saw them too... but Mario Kenjo at mil-mil.net (milwaukee) just quoted me 13,325 yen a couple of days ago for the exact same pair, which currently equals US $135 which includes shipping. That'll save you $30. I'm on the verge myself...

Doug C

H.Johnson

One Too Many
A comparison...

I often advocate the acquisition of real military clothing rather than imitations or accurate reproductions. I think that in many cases they are a viable alternative and are usually cheaper and may be no less freely available. Here is a comparison of a pair of original postwar US military chinos with a pair of Buzz Rickson reproduction 1942 chinos. The main differences are the wider belt loops (the centre one is offset on the 1942s), the buttons (PW plastic instead of WW2 metal) and the back pockets (button-through on the PWs). The colour and feel, weight and weave of the cloth and the cut, leg width and construction are virtually identical. The PW originals usually sell for around 25 - 35 US dollars compared to 125 - 135 US dollars (current price) for the Buzz Rickson reproductions. They are also probably easier to obtain (particularly if you are in the US). Here are some comparative photographs, real PW on the left, 1942 BR reproductions:

trousers001.jpg

trousers002.jpg

trousers004.jpg

trousers003.jpg

WW2 originals usually command a similar price to reproductions, but PW chinos are much, much cheaper and very similar. So, unless you an uber-serious re-enactor, worried about your trouser buttons failing inspection, or unless you derive a primitive thrill from using your web browser, credit card and email, I think the real PW pants are a wearable alternative.

Just my opinion, of course.

Doug C

Practically Family
Man those look nice but my experience is that originals all have rust stains that won't come off in the wash. I know (I know..) not all, I was just unlucky in the couple of different pairs I've bought - but that's why I stopped searching for 'em. Also, I've never seen orioginals with the wide leg (opening) like your pair obviously have.

Doug C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner