Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Khaki Trousers - Originals and Reproductions

Hondo

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
It all depends on your size. I would say find an original pair of WWII to early 50's ones and you'll be happy. If you're a big guy like me, it's going to be hard. But, if you have a 34 or smaller waist and are like a 29 to 32 inseam, you're in like Flyn! Ebay or also check this site out, they make great WWII repros for less then Bill's! Just scroll down a bit and you'll find them. They sell for $70.00 US. And they look good and I think they have button fly.

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/

Good luck,

Root.
Another outstanding post, and btw caught your review of "Sin City" Awesome dude, well written, hope to catch this weekend, I can’t stand or wear wingtip shoes but they are outstanding none the less.
Thanks and carry on soldier!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, thank you guys! I had no idea that I did such a fine job on posting that.

Hondo, I am some what confused to my review of "Sin City". [huh] I don't remember posting one. But, if I did, I suppose it was ok :)

You say you can't stand to wear wing-tip shoes? How come I wonder? Please elaborate. Oh, and not to be rude of cores but, how did wing-tip shoes get brought up?

Root.

Hondo

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Well, thank you guys! I had no idea that I did such a fine job on posting that.

Hondo, I am some what confused to my review of "Sin City". [huh] I don't remember posting one. But, if I did, I suppose it was ok :)

You say you can't stand to wear wing-tip shoes? How come I wonder? Please elaborate. Oh, and not to be rude of cores but, how did wing-tip shoes get brought up?

Root.

Hey Root,
Hee,hee my mistake about "Sin City" that was "TheWingnut" over at Moving Pictures, (just having one of those days) still both of you add great posts/threads, enjoy reading well written FYI. Great :cheers1:
Wingtips? Again that was "Thewingnut" Actually its dress shoes, not overing the ankles, my left ankle has nerve damage due to an auto accident, tough to wear dress shoes with ankle braces (I go without the braces)
I usually wear high tops (covers ankle) or boots.
Keep up the great post (Hey you too WingNut!) Best regards,

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Some

jake431 said:
What's the taper on their legs like?
-Jake
Well, there is some, of course, from thigh to cuff, otherwise you'd look like David Byrne. But it's a slight taper, not the ankle-grabbing taper like the Gap or Old Navy Upside Down Man pants you may be thinking of.
I'm tall, so I got the long rise MP1 version, with pleats. They sit at Navel height. They're suppposed to be based on WWII military trousers, so they're pretty workable for a 40's-50's sort of look. Today I put them with a white shirt, vintage navy/red/cream tie, navy jacket and panama hat.
Average pair of pants takes me 5 minutes to iron. These take 15. Just a warning.
P.S. : You're in a major US market - you'll easily find them in stores and see for yourself.

jake431

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Well, there is some, of course, from thigh to cuff, otherwise you'd look like David Byrne. But it's a slight taper, not the ankle-grabbing taper like the Gap or Old Navy Upside Down Man pants you may be thinking of.
I'm tall, so I got the long rise MP1 version, with pleats. They sit at Navel height. They're suppposed to be based on WWII military trousers, so they're pretty workable for a 40's-50's sort of look. Today I put them with a white shirt, vintage navy/red/cream tie, navy jacket and panama hat.
Average pair of pants takes me 5 minutes to iron. These take 15. Just a warning.
P.S. : You're in a major US market - you'll easily find them in stores and see for yourself.

I'll try to take a look for them. Believe it or not, I am looking for no taper. The world war 2 khakis worn in the Pacific were straight legged without any sort of taper. That's the look I'm going for, since, likely as not, they'll be worn with my M-422a and (Coming soon) A-2.

-Jake

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Chicks Dig a Guy in a Thick Suit

Okeedoke then.

Talking.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Where to look?

For pants that do not taper I'd say buy the real vintage from the 30's and 40's. Yes, easy to say but, I don't see today much out there that has no taper to the pant legs. Sad seeing it's such a nice look. Most will find they need to have stuff tailor made. And even then you have to twist the guys arm to get what you really want.

Good luck guys!

Root.

shamus

Suspended
the guy in the middle looks to have pleats? Also a few of them looked to have just rolled up their pants to make a cuff...

Where there's a will...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Some times the enlisted men were given stuff a little big or small. The shadowes makes it look like pleats.

Some of them also rolled up their pants. They just didn't come with cuffs. ;)

Root.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Also don't forget that most men end up losing weight after going into the army, in the case of Americans, often a lot of weight. Thus the clothing they were issued going in probably would be too large.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think we have to define "Taper."

Am I getting this correctly? If there is NO taper, the opening at the shoe end of the pant leg is exactly the same as the opening at the crotch end. So in the trousers illustrated, the thigh of the pants is necessarily tighter than the average pair of civilian pants from the same era. Otherwise you'd look like Puffy Pants Man. Thanks for pictures of what you want - now I think I gotcha. :)
Then I can advise that Bill's Khakis are not for you. At least not the M1P version, which are quite loose fitting up top. It's not that the cuffs are so pegged, but that the thighs are cut wider, with a long rise. The M2P's are not pleated, and are not looser up top.
If you like, you can go to the Bill's Khakis site and there's a link to store locations. But I think Root's advice is best - get the real deal, if you can find them. I'd think Chicago is either surplus store on every block or entirely picked over?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
To some extent though don't all pants have to have a larger opening towards the crotch end? It would seem that a perfectly straight leg would only work well for people with uniform thickness in their legs (IE nearly nobody) People with muscular thighs would end up with pants too tight there, and people with overall skinny legs would end up with pants that flap around the ankles.

Or am I missing something?

jake431

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
To some extent though don't all pants have to have a larger opening towards the crotch end? It would seem that a perfectly straight leg would only work well for people with uniform thickness in their legs (IE nearly nobody) People with muscular thighs would end up with pants too tight there, and people with overall skinny legs would end up with pants that flap around the ankles.

Or am I missing something?

Click HERE, and please discount the trendoid jackass who is wearing them wrongly. Scroll down and take a look at the pants laid flat. If I couild get these in America, I would KNOW what khaki's to get. These are the best reproduction of wartime khaki's you can buy. Another Japanese company, MASH, made some which were as good or better, but again, you cannot get them here. Note the shape of the leg - totally straight.

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy