Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

YES, it's TRUE! the SCHOTT 641 STEERHiDE REViEWED! with a picture!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
well, i've come back to haunt the fedlounge like a bad horror film sequel. but not just to spout off.

[note, sorry about the links, but the pic uploader does not work, so you have to click]
http://casablancawatch.com/watches/images/schottmesmall.jpg
self-taken picture in the worst/dirtiest mirror in the world, but i'd get roasted if i only showed manufacturer pictures, even tho the 641 looks as good in person as in their pix

http://casablancawatch.com/watches/images/schotta.jpg

http://casablancawatch.com/watches/images/schottb.jpg

http://casablancawatch.com/watches/images/schottc.jpg
the japanese really seem to love this jacket, so the best pix of the jacket being worn is from them. they have good taste

i spent $600 for the privilege of coming back and posting something of merit/interest. AND i had the good sense to spend those bucks on a great jacket. the schott 641 steerhide.

my luftwaffe jacket obsession never left, and after i'd found the perfect luftwaffian ww2 replica jacket, the eastman, i set out to find the same thing in a true cafe racer style, which the 641 is. the heritage is pure to the classic luftwaffe, minus the collar (don't give me hell purists about what a true luftwaffe jacket is). in person this 641 steer looks like i'd hoped: a cafe racer version of the eastman...however, with a bit of motorcycle beef to it.

because the 641 has the original vintage slim fit in which this jacket was originally produced decades ago, there's a nice V quality to it that makes it sharper looking for those who can match that shape with their body, compared to the schott 141, which is basically this jacket with a more modern fit. meaning a size larger and an inch or two bigger around the waist according to schott's info.

with all these jackets at schott you need a scorecard to know the players, so hopefully this review helps. the next differentiation is between this and the 641 HH or horsehide, which i had WANTED!!!!!

my eastman was in horsehide, and i love the stiff and crisp demeanor of that leather, however, being in calif, and that the schott 641 horse version had a sewn in quilted liner, i had to bypass that unrelentingly warm version of this classic cafe racer. the 641 steer had the good sense to have a removable liner, and hence it was a no brainer.

but no problemo as the leather on it is, if not stiff, crispy and starchy like the HH, gorgeous, rich, lush, soft, and the same 1.3 or so mm weight that the horsehide is. my eastman horsehide was not stiff and starchy, but really more like the steerhide used on this jacket, tho more grain in the eastman. point being, the steer is not a bum one, and just as superb as the HH. afficianados may drool over the finer aspects of HH, and i do too, but weather did not permit.

so back to this jacket. has everything the perfect jacket, moto or otherwise, should.

one piece back, side cinth straps low down on the sides so one does not look like a yokel cinching in the jacket high on the waist (sorry guys with the higher set side straps, i hate em).

has the bi-swing arms and the gussets under the arm, all very helpful i'm sure when you get this jacket tight like it was meant to be worn. however, i like my jackets with a tad of room in them, so i didn't need the gussets and bi-swing back to comfortably move my arms. however, having them makes this jacket feel almost like a thick rich shirt it is so comfortable.

the zipper is super industrial strength and smooth, zipping up like it has a motor in it, and the racer collar is very cool with snaps to hold the closure strap when you don't use it.

because of the construction of the jacket, the cafe racer upright collar does have some natural wave to it, as you can probably see in the photo, but this gives a sense of the reality of the leather and does not seem like a defect. and out of the box i've bent it back a few times, and so over time i'm sure it will find it's own mien. but even with the natural wave of the leather, it looks right...not too perfecto (pun).

sadly, the only downside i can find to this jacket is that i don't know if i love it more than my eastman luftwaffe. the difference is that this is pure beef moto.

the eastman is from another era, properly so, and its biggest beauty. i shall wear the eastman when i wish to go back in time...i'll wear the 641 when i want to go less further back in time, to the 60s...choppers, not messerschmitts.

the 641 steer will not need much if any break-in, but that doesn't mean the leather doesn't look tough and imposing, if nevertheless smooth like a black russian (the drink).

as for weather (pun...yes, bad form to call your own jokes) or not to get this or the horsehide, as i said, it does come down to weather. it's the hottest summer on record i believe, and here in L.A. i had no problem putting the 641 on today (after unzipping/removing the liner) immediately upon receipt, in the post office while opening up the rest of my mail. it might in fact be wearable here in lalaland about 10 months of the year.

other than that it might be the best jacket ever constructed for those hell bent for leather.

the sizing is something to note. schott will tell you to get it one size larger than their other jackets, which is right on. it has the more V shape and the old vintage last that it's designed on. like the eastman luftwaffe, their classic fit is part of the fascinating heritage of getting a jacket like this...buying history, not a fattened up version of a former great jacket.

the last thing i'll compare it to is the lewis leathers dominator i once had. that's the lewis leather 60s rocker style that was actually used in the movie 'battle of britain' because it was that close a replica to the luftwaffe look. this 641 steer has the very same look and feel as the lewis dominator. quite a recommendation.

point being, even if you pay the full schott price of around $635 for the size 48 that i got, it's pretty much as good as an aero, lewis or eastman, which are all in the $900 range these days. i know, you will find the typical schott-esque long untrimmed end-thread on several seams, and the jacket will look like it was manufactured a bit more than totally custom made, but that's part of what these jackets were, and are. just like the real issue ww2 g-1's and a-2's were not perfectly custom manufactured. if this sounds esoteric, i'd liken it to the difference between a 68 mustang GT fastback and a ferrari. there's something about stock, off-the-shelf brutality i just like.

after the zipout lining is out, you will have a strong but very comfortable thin liner left, that feels nice and slippery against your skin, and cool. making this into a jacket with as close to a 'shirt' feel as something this powerful could have.

i will now wear this every chance i get, and make reasons to wear it, even if it's so hot i have to wear a t-shirt under. i love it. best jacket i might ever own. so, this is, to understate it, a positive review of the 641 steerhide jacket.

if you want one, i'd even pay the price schott charges. but googling can find some slightly less expensive dealers. i got mine off of ebay from a seller who is a dealer for schott merchandise and advertises them new on ebay. got mine with tags and everything.

did i say i love it?

Last edited:
It would have been nice if you put some details into this review :)
Nicely done - thank you. I love Schott jackets. As one of the top of the not-custom world makers, I have 6 (I counted last night)
Good stuff for riding I bet. I think it's a great maker to consider.
Thank you for posting! Enjoy the jacket. Gail at Schott told me this one only needs some Mink Oil 1-2x a year.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
D tails

thanks for enjoying the review mr. montana...it's a long review and tried to cover a lot, including sizing, differences to other schott models, leather, fit, etc...but if you have any detail questions do ask away, am very happy to answer.

as it is, i just think it's the perfect jacket and schott is wise to make it in 2 leathers and keep the original last/fit/sizing of it...when people want to find a jacket from the 'good old days' they don't have to go on ebay and buy worn out jackets (which is fun)...this one is made just like it was.

if you have any detail questions, happy to answer, tho i tried to cover a lot without writing a Bible ;D

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Thanks johnnyjohnny for the interesting and informative review. With the lining out, is this a jacket you could comfortably wear indoors? Also, what is the history of the 641 jacket?

Anthony Rice

New in Town
I have one of these. I wear it to work everyday. :) I'ts not as slim fitting as I thought personally, though I'm skinny. The build is very good exempting the horrid waist straps.

I have one of These - 184SML in black
I really love it as you can take out the liner and/or the collar, leave them on, or a combo. It's pretty heavy Steerhide, so indoors I'm not sure about. The jacket above looks heavy too, but I guess it depends on the temp :)
I think it's the same hide, which is why I posted...not meaning to jack you JJ!

Bix B.

New in Town
Great jacket. I like the simple and "pure" look. After a few years training it could perhaps also look nice on me ;)
Thanks for the review.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
i'm jack'd

I have one of These - 184SML in black
I really love it as you can take out the liner and/or the collar, leave them on, or a combo. It's pretty heavy Steerhide, so indoors I'm not sure about. The jacket above looks heavy too, but I guess it depends on the temp :)
I think it's the same hide, which is why I posted...not meaning to jack you JJ!
>>>

hey montana, i'm having some jack right now ('D') so don't mind being jacked.

actually, if you've ever had any hein gericke (german) leather moto jacks, also sold as 'classic gear', tHAT's what heavy leather is. i bought some gorgeous hein gericke's on german ebay, but will probably sell them as the leather feels about twice as thick as the leather on your 184sm (which i've had, love it) and the 641 steer. the leather on these is only 1.3 to 1.4 mm, the lightest leather for designer moto style jackets is 1 mm...so without the liner i'd say both can be worn indoors [answer to 'tell kathy i love her'] as long as it's not over 72 degrees. certainly comfie enough. i'd say the 184 LOOks thicker because the way it drapes, but the 641 lays flat so looks cleaner...also the 184 cinches around the wrists and waist with the A-2 style sweater fabric, whereas there is some nice airflow coming in the bottom of the 641, and you can leave the sleeves half-unzipped and let some air through there as well, so a bit better ventilated.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
history of the 641? hmmmmmmm...

Thanks johnnyjohnny for the interesting and informative review. With the lining out, is this a jacket you could comfortably wear indoors? Also, what is the history of the 641 jacket?

i may write like i know more than i do [i was a reporter so that bs attitude is ingrained], however i don't know the history of the 641.

if i had to guess, i'd say it goes back to the 50s and a european influence as it is totally the same as the german ww2 luftwaffe classic jacke, except with a euro racer collar called the 'cafe style'. i haven't been able to find when schott began making this style, but a lot of the american jacket companies (reed, bermans, cooper, etc) made this style in the 50s/60s with a lighter leather, and not as prominent a collar. the fit is special to schott as it is about the only jacket they make that is done to their vintage last and cut, historically so (actually not changed since the original). this has to go back to the 60s minimum, and the late 50s i'm guessing. it's 2" slimmer in the waist according to schott, and an inch or so wider in the shoulders, plus about a size smaller than their current jackets of the same style, such as the 141.

i guess back then more athletic, and smaller, guys were getting on motorcycles.

that's my educated estimation as to some of the history of this jacket, but i'm sure gail at schott could give an exact account.

p.s., isn't it time to get over kathy?

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Perhaps this is way off topic, but since many here are owners of Schott, is there a consensus about their HH jackets and the felt lining that is fused to them? Is this a sign to avoid Schott HH jackets? The reason I ask is I truly love and am tempted to buy a 689.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
schott hh

Perhaps this is way off topic, but since many here are owners of Schott, is there a consensus about their HH jackets and the felt lining that is fused to them? Is this a sign to avoid Schott HH jackets? The reason I ask is I truly love and am tempted to buy a 689.

i'm not an expert on schott, and most of the forum seems to be gaga over the custom makers like aero, eastman, lewis, and others i can't think of right now...the off the rack like schott, cockpit i think are considered a bit de classe by some

but i don't know about the felt and horsehide on schott jackets...i know the reason i didn't get the 641HH was that it had a sewn-in quilted liner, so no felt that i saw...the 689 is the 641 with a collar

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Yes, there was a huge thread on the "Call The Schotts" message board at the Schott website, and I credit Schott for not deleting the thread when other companies would have hushed up any doubt and controversy, about their "fusing," or felt lining between the HH and the inner lining. I am not sure but it's possible Schott have stopped using this fusing and have sourced better HH.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
gail

Yes, there was a huge thread on the "Call The Schotts" message board at the Schott website, and I credit Schott for not deleting the thread when other companies would have hushed up any doubt and controversy, about their "fusing," or felt lining between the HH and the inner lining. I am not sure but it's possible Schott have stopped using this fusing and have sourced better HH.

i know gail at schott is the person who would answer that specifically...she seems to know everything about those jackets

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
i'll cop to the good taste, but when it comes to buying leather jackets i don't think anyone on this forum needs any leadership to give in to temptation ;D

you'll love the jacket...it's outrageously nice

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hey johnnyx2:

Just recently returned from the hospital after going through a backbone fusion and noticed your wonderfully written evaluation of your new Schott. Great jacket and I'm glad you really like it. Schott has pumped out some quality stuff through the years and a positive review such as yours reinforces Schott's commitment to compete with other quality leather jacket builders. Gives us consumers more choices.

Thanks and enjoy the jacket in good health!

coffee

too much coffee

Practically Family

Hi TKILH:

I had a 689 at one time and really liked it. I normally wear a 42/44 but had to bump up to a 46. The jacket looked great and fit well but was about 1 - 1 1/2" too short in the body; although only really noticeable while riding. I'm right at 6 feet tall. The sleeves were the perfect length for riding however.

I don't know if mine had the felt lining fused to the HH but the jacket had a good weight to it and had a quality feel about it and the HH was starting to pop some grain when I sold it off.

My reason for selling was 2 fold..........collar points did not have snap downs and the flapping collar while riding was aggravating. Also the quilted liner was non removeable.

FL member "captain caveman" has/had one as well and hopefully can add some more comments.

Buy the jacket!

Regards,
coffee

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
drink more caffeine daily

Hey johnnyx2:

Just recently returned from the hospital after going through a backbone fusion and noticed your wonderfully written evaluation of your new Schott. Great jacket and I'm glad you really like it. Schott has pumped out some quality stuff through the years and a positive review such as yours reinforces Schott's commitment to compete with other quality leather jacket builders. Gives us consumers more choices.

Thanks and enjoy the jacket in good health!

coffee

thanks for the nice words 2much. i have an old L4/L5 disc injury, but i still run and have held off on surgery, but i do suffer pain. good luck with the fusion, hope it does the trick. as for the jacket, all the ww2 a-2 and g-1 jacks were off the rack wartime rushed production, and now we revere them...there's something ironically pure and cool about the stock off-the rack look that all these jackets were originally made with...and then they conform to your look...so definitely schott is in the bigs!

get a schott jacket, will help you heal faster ;D

(and there is no such thing as 2much coffee...as i'm sure you know)

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
May I ask this at the risk of being stoned to death? I don't like or need an extremely heavy jacket. Is the 641 a heavy jacket? If so, would the Schott 541, a "lightweight casual racer," be a suitable substitute? What are your opinions of the 541?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
541??????????????

May I ask this at the risk of being stoned to death? I don't like or need an extremely heavy jacket. Is the 641 a heavy jacket? If so, would the Schott 541, a "lightweight casual racer," be a suitable substitute? What are your opinions of the 541?

there's no current 541 on the schott site, and when you do a search there are messages on the forum post from gail saying it was a style from more than 10 years ago based on the cafe race 641 with similar leather. i think the only lighter jacket you might get would be the schott lambskin. the protection that offers would not be for motorcycling, more like for walking and bumping into the door at your local 7-11.

from my sadly extensive experience buying various brands of motorcycle jackets, if you want to go lighter you may have to get a foreign made euro racer like an alpinestar or joe rocket, both of which i have and adore, but they have the macho of a rice rocket compared to a harley. i'm addicted to motorcycle jackets, and live in calif, so i have both...but the actual lightest leather you can get in a true motorcycle jacket is 1mm from what i've seen, and the schott is 1.3 to 1.4mm, compared to over 3mm for the aero horsehides.

if you want a real American motorcyce jacket, because of it's light leather (despite schott calling it 'heavy horsehide', which is more a reference to the finish), and it's removable liner, the 641 (and the less lean fitting 141) are about the lightest i believe you can get.

and yes, you should be stoned. jack 'D' should work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner