Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another A2 size question

dennisp

New in Town
I am looking at either a US Authentic or US wings Goat skin A2. These two are in my price range. I have a probably somewhat stretched 42R Cooper A2 now that is a little tight across the back (23 3/4" back at armpit, 23 !/2" front at armpit) and a little short(24 1/2" from neck seam to bottom). Sleeves are 24 !/2" and fine. Other than that, it fit's pretty good. I am 5'8", 185lbs.
I have searched threads and it seems US Authentic will be long and slim, while US Wings will be a fuller cut. I don't plan to layer underneath. I am obviously a little bulkier than I should be, but I am looking for a less baggy but not tight fit.
Any suggestions on what size and which brand might be better for me?
Dennis

RudyN

One of the Regulars
I am 5'8" also and weigh 177 Lbs. I bought a US Wings A2 in Horsehide and it fits nice for me. My chest is larger than most people my height as I do a little weight lifting. Hope this helps you.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
uswings sizing vs cooper

first off, if you dare get a uswings i'd recommend getting the uswings milspec rather than the updated a-2, since milspec size is not the full cut stadium coat style you don't seem to want...and the cooper you have would have a milspec sizing...still, even uswings milspec sizes run about a half to a full size larger than other companies' milspec...they have a very nice clean military shape/cut, but they accomodate a body size more akin to what a civilian size of the same size number would

my cooper 46 regular fits almost one size smaller than my uswings 46 long does, and is about 3" shorter...the coopers, generally in large sizes, are about 25" long from back collar seam to end, where the uswings milspec regulars are 26 1/2" to 27", and uswings long about 28 to 28 1/2" long

sounds to me that if you got the 42 regular in the uswings milspec goatskin it would add the size you want/need and get another inch to inch-and-a-half in length...and another 3" in length if you got the usawings long...

if you get the uswings jacket, really a nice cut with fair and decent quality for the most part, do expect however to have your cuffs and bottom ribbing start to pile and wear after only about a dozen times on...i have never had another jacket by any other manufacturer that had the cuffs and ribbing start to go south so quickly...in my other jackets, avirex to cooper to other more premium 80s a-2s, after a year (and some of them after years) of wear, they don't have the piling and wear the uswings milspec a-2 got in a dozen careful and respectful wearings...

johnnyjohnny

RudyN

One of the Regulars
My Horsehide A2 is the milspec one and the size is a 44R. The back measurment arm pit to arm pit is 25". This is with the jacket face down on the carpet with the zipper closed.

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
The only two off the rack A-2's I own are from USA. One 46T in goat and a 48R HH. The goat fits alot more trimmer than my 48. They are about the same length, but the 48 sleeves are much fuller. Not as full as my LW A-2HH or as slim as my Goodwear HH. It might be something with the goat and not the HH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner