Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another New Aero Highwayman

Technonut

Practically Family
It is in the cool, low 60's here in Central Virginia this morning, and the perfect time to snap some pics of my new Aero Highwayman... :)

I had posted a couple pics of a Highwayman in my G&B jacket thread, but the fit was not quite the way I liked. Amanda at Aero was fantastic, and the jacket was returned to Scotland for alterations.

Aero ended-up offering to make a NEW jacket a couple of weeks later. :D
This time, I requested my own choice in the outer jacket chest circumference of 48 inches. (I have a 44" chest) With a little added to the body length and sleeves, this one is a well-fitting keeper IMO... ;)

The leather of this Highwayman is from a limited batch of "mottled" FQ horsehide. I enjoy having something unique, and the "mottled" leather just looks VERY grainy to me, and has alot of character.

I personally cannot wait the 2 or 3 years necessary to break-in a front quarter horsehide jacket... It is too stiff, and not comfortable at all. (Not to mention the collar that seems to want to fly-away) The first two pics are of the jacket as it arrived... The rest are after a nice full cycle in my front-loading washing machine...:eek: The front-loader is VERY gentle... I would not have done this in a normal top-loader. I wore the jacket while it was damp to form better to me. It is very easy to move in now, and feels great to wear...

HWYmot002.jpg

HWYmot001.jpg

HWYmot004.jpg

HWYmot005.jpg

HWYmot010.jpg

HWYmot014.jpg

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Brave Man !!

The old 'washing machine treatment' eh ? I'm still summoning up the courage to throw my Aero A2 in the machine ! After three years it still doesn't look worn enough at all. Your before and after pics have given me added encouragement to go ahead and do it. Great looking jacket BTW and looking even better now. I see you opted for the 'bi-swing' back - that little extra mobility is useful - I got one of Aeros Long Half Belts and although I'm a 42" chest and wear a 42" A2, I opted for a 40 in the LHB to get a snug fit. Without the bi-swing, it would have been too restrictive but as it is it fits just great.

Cheers !

Colin

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Fantastic jacket mate, and the fit looks great as well-length and sleeves seem perfect. I have recently ordered one as well.......I think its another 2-3 weeks till mine arrives. My one is also a black one with the same tartan lining. Looking at yours, I feel I`m in for a very pleasant surpise when it arrives.

I did notice that the leather on your one was very grainy to begin with- the one I ordered is a smooth one I hope....as I stated I wanted something smooth.....but yours looks great mate. Hopefully my one will look the same as the one they have advertised on their site.

Very good buy!

Technonut

Practically Family
silhouette53 : I also threw my G&B A-2 in the washer... It looks and feels great. ;) The first time, I practically kept my nose against the washer window to make sure nothing bad was happening... I have looked at pics of your long half-belt.... Fantasic jacket!

Faisalha9159: Not to worry... I knew I was buying the "mottled" horsehide. Yours should be smooth as glass. ;) Aero had enough of the "mottled" FQ HH to do 30 jackets. I like very grainy leather, and it was only £275.00 + a little extra for the action-back. :) Be sure to post some pics of yours when it arrives.

Thanks for the compliments... :)

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Cheers mate, will definately be posting pics when the garment arrives. Can`t wait.

Enjoy your jacket.

I almost forgot.........how comes your jacket cost so little? I am paying £400.0 for mine.

rick5150

One of the Regulars
I see you added the bi-swing back. Curious though, what made you omit the breast pocket?

Another thing that you may find helpful making the jacket comfortable to wear - my highwayman is softer than I ever thought possible - every now and then, zip it up and throw it in the dryer with some damp towels on air dry. Horsehide needs something with weight bouncing around with it to help soften it. ;)

Technonut

Practically Family
rick5150 said:
I see you added the bi-swing back. Curious though, what made you omit the breast pocket?

Another thing that you may find helpful making the jacket comfortable to wear - my highwayman is softer than I ever thought possible - every now and then, zip it up and throw it in the dryer with some damp towels on air dry. Horsehide needs something with weight bouncing around with it to help soften it. ;)

Personally, I do not like a small breast pocket on a jacket. I think the front looks much less broken-up and "cleaner" without it... ;) The same goes for front pockets on T-shirts, I do not like those either. I did have a nice G-1 inside snap pocket installed that I do like.

Thanks for the dryer tip rick5150.... :) I may have to give it a "spin" sometime... :D

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
rick5150 said:
- my highwayman is softer than I ever thought possible - every now and then, zip it up and throw it in the dryer with some damp towels on air dry. Horsehide needs something with weight bouncing around with it to help soften it. ;)

My HWM is like a suit of armor - it weighs a ton and stands up by itself! It's difficult putting my hands in my pants' pockets because it's so stiff.

AeroJacketmeasurementsMay2007001.jpg

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Mine used to be so stiff it was uncomfortable. I have owned enough FQHH to know that once it breaks in, the Highwayman will be my absolute favorite jacket. When I would sit in my Jeep, the jacket was so stiff that the neck opening would wind up by my ears. The whole jacket just pushed up. I had to drive with it open for a while. It will break in and it will be beautiful...;)

jake431

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
My HWM is like a suit of armor - it weighs a ton and stands up by itself! It's difficult putting my hands in my pants' pockets because it's so stiff.

AeroJacketmeasurementsMay2007001.jpg

Mr. H,

That's a fantastic jacket. I've often toyed with getting a mouton collared Highwayman, but no one's ever had a pic of it being worn; I couldn't see how the collar looks. But now I know it looks great!

What's your jacket lined with?

Thanks,
-Jake

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Jake, thanks for the compliment! It's lined with a tartan "blanket". I beautiful color combination IMO, much more muted than the harsher red.

I don't have a photo of it yet, and it's not featured on Mark's website.

This is a pic Amanda took for me before it left Scotland, maybe you can make it out....

BrianHursonBack1.jpg

BrianHursonFront1.jpg

jake431

Practically Family
Mr. H,

I agree that blanket lining looks quite good. I'm assuming that's their regular brown FQHH? Also, what size is the jacket?

Thanks,
-Jake

Faisalha9159

New in Town
Its only a matter of a few days until the Highwayman arrives. Cant wait now. Its a shame that my jacket isn`t here yet as with the weather we have been having lately, it would have been nice to have worn the jacket and worked towards breaking it in.

Will post pictures in a new topic as soon as the garment arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner