Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another New Aero Highwayman

Technonut

Practically Family
Faisalha9159 said:
Its only a matter of a few days until the Highwayman arrives. Cant wait now. Its a shame that my jacket isn`t here yet as with the weather we have been having lately, it would have been nice to have worn the jacket and worked towards breaking it in.

Will post pictures in a new topic as soon as the garment arrives.

I hear you about the weather Faisalha9159... It has been pretty damn hot in this part of the world lately. I did manage to take advantage of some cool nights awhile back, and slept in the jacket... :eek: Between the washer, and sleeping in it, I think I have it pretty much broken in.. :deadhorse ;) It still has a nice creaking sound, which I like.

I will be interested in seeing your pics.. I'm sure you will like it... :)

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
jake431 said:
Mr. H,

I agree that blanket lining looks quite good. I'm assuming that's their regular brown FQHH? Also, what size is the jacket?

Thanks,
-Jake

Yes, that's the regular brown. The vintage brown had been tumbled and to me seems lighter when I had the samples.

Technonut

Practically Family
Well, project "break-in" was successful... :) I managed to put about the equivalent of 5 seasons wear on a jacket only a few weeks old... :eek:

Crusher-008.jpg

Time to tuck it away for the summer now..... ;)

EDIT: Here are a couple of pics that show the "mottled" HH well. I REALLY like the look of it. :) It is a helluva bargain for £275.00 IMO... ;)

Crusher13.jpg

Crusher011.jpg

garzo

One of the Regulars
That's a real beauty Technonut. I like the added length. It's funny how different it looks to me without the zip pocket.
I got Aero's FQ Jerky Highwayman last year and love it but it's a bit too tight. I usually wear a 44 and that's what I got but I think Aero's tend to run just a tad smaller than other coats. I have a couple of new Schotts and a G&B A2 all size 44 and they fit roomier.
I'm looking to sell the one I have and plan to just get a size 46 with a bi-swing back, although I actually prefer the way it looks without the bi-swing, but it's just more practical.
Hopefully they won't run out of that mottled leather. I dig the way it looks.

garzo

One of the Regulars
Hey Technonut,
I'm boosting this thread with a question on the state of your mottled Highwayman. I picked a mottled Highwayman last year and the leather looks exactly like yours -- same batch. Now, I haven't given it the wash treatment but was wondering how yours is holding up. Mine is somewhat broken in but the leather is really thick and still a bit tough. I will start wearing it again now that's it's cooling down.
I'm curious about how the finish is developing on your jacket. The mottled leather does not have the buttery smooth finish of Aero's regular horsehide. Mine is quite rough and the glossy finish on mine is coming off in some spots, making it look pretty worn. I was wondering if I should put something on those areas, pecards or some other leather care product, or just leave them wear.
Have you treated your jacket at all or are you just letting it wear? And do you see the rough raw leather coming through the glossy finish too?
I'm wondering if that's normal with the mottled leather.

ins0ma

New in Town
Viva the Black Highwayman

Great looking jacket, Technonut! Of course, I'm a little biased, since I just got my black Highwayman last July. Mine is in the "vintage" FQHH, with a tartan pattern I picked out. I also opted for an inside snap-pocket on both sides, and the bi-swing back.

I haven't done anything to try to "break in" my jacket besides wear it whenever possible. I did get rained on a few times while wearing it, and getting wet seemed to help the jacket "mould" to me a little bit, but in general I'm following Aero's advice to "just wear it" and let it all happen naturally. The "vintage" finish is really nice and the jacket doesn't seem stiff at all -- its pliable, almost rubbery, and is already developing creases and graininess.

I am having problems with the "cinch-straps" on the sides of the jacket: the only way they stay buckled is when they're all-the-way tight, which is OK with a T-shirt but a little tight with a sweater. I've discussed it with Mark Moye from AeroUSA, and they're going to take care of it, but I'm not sending the jacket in for alterations until next summer at least. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm starting to think that I want a better buckle, one with a prong or "tongue" and holes punched in the straps, like a miniature belt-buckle, so that the straps won't come loose once I have them tightened the way I want them.

Any ideas?

garzo

One of the Regulars
ins0ma said:
I am having problems with the "cinch-straps" on the sides of the jacket: the only way they stay buckled is when they're all-the-way tight, which is OK with a T-shirt but a little tight with a sweater. I've discussed it with Mark Moye from AeroUSA, and they're going to take care of it, but I'm not sending the jacket in for alterations until next summer at least. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm starting to think that I want a better buckle, one with a prong or "tongue" and holes punched in the straps, like a miniature belt-buckle, so that the straps won't come loose once I have them tightened the way I want them.

Any ideas?

Yeah, those side strap buckles are kinda weird. I have to double back the leather strap through the buckle so it will stay in place after tightening, but it still comes loose after a while. The buckles are not the most practical.

I'm surprised to hear that you're FQHH is so soft, pliable and rubbery. The mottled horsehide jacket I have is pretty tough, thick, heavy and stiff compared to my other leather jackets, but I still love it -- it's just heavy armor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner