Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet Another US Authentic Jacket

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Hello Loungers... I ordered a size 42R from US-A in goat. The jacket itself is superb. Very soft, pliable goatskin and it seems to have all the period-correct details as far as my eyes can tell. My problem is with the fit. It just seems too blousy for my build. I think the pics tell the story better.

What's funny is that dimensionally this 42 is very close to my LL Bean bomber except its about an inch longer. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=47657

Tell me what you think. I'm guessing I should size down to a 40R. This should resolve the length issues and over-generous cut at the waist. I'm in correspondence with Shaul to get a better fit who's lightning fast about responding to emails.

Take a looksie... Too long and too much material at the waist, huh? Maybe I should grow into this jacket and start eating junk food. lol lol :eek:

Untitled1-3.jpg

Untitled3-4.jpg

Untitled4-2.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

53Effie

A-List Customer
I agree. I think you should try sizing down to a 40. It is a bit too long. Also, looks as though the sleeves might be a shade too long as well.

mh

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Looks Ok!

I think the jacket looks Ok!.Some people like the skin tight shirt look in the jacket. If you plan on using the jacket I'm sure you like the fit better than one thats to tight or to short.

I have a few jackets that are shorter and the sleeves also when I ride my motorcycle the sleeves slide up and the knit wastband rides up. I think your jacket looks Ok. I have many WWII images and not all the jackets are short or tight. Some people see an image and think that all the jackets were made the same. Just look at some WWII pictures and you will see the variety of jackets and the way they fit, one comes to mind just look at some of the Doolittle Raiders and the jacket thay have on.

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I agree it looks too "blousy". Also, I like a longer jacket, but it definitely seems too long.

If you don't like it now, I doubt you'll grow to like it.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
G1531833007248.jpg

Those ELC jackets look blousy to me in Pearl Harbor.. I didn't mind that at all.. I dunno if the wardrobe-dept. was going for authenticity, if you look at this picture:

Doolittle.jpg

second from the left is James Doolittle

Peacoat

Bartender
I'll probably get the business for this post, but, contrary to current popular opinion, A-2s weren't meant to be short and tight. They were designed to be long enough to at least cover the belt line and to have enough room in the shoulders, sleeves and body to allow ease of movement while seated in the aircraft.

Yes, the A-2 was part of a military uniform that contemplated a trim appearance, but it was also part of a working uniform that allowed comfort while going about one's business inside the aircraft. A simple and classic design that has endured through the decades.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Next in line to get the business for a posting on this subject, but I think the jacket looks fine, and even further, I'd recommend a hot shower treatment for some fit improvement, i.e. shrinkage, which will bring it up a bit at the waist and sleeves. You may not want to do that, but it is an option.

dean

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Thanks for the feedback.

Points taken about a looser fit being historically accurate. This garment is certainly loose enough that it doesn't restrict my freedom of movement. But, I still prefer a trimmer fit for both aesthetic and practical reasons. I own other leather moto and flight-style jackets that fit much better and these don't get in the way of operating a vehicle or any other physical activity for that matter that requires moving about. Perhaps the pics don't convey this but there is ALOT of extra material in the chest, belly, and arms.

While I've never piloted a WW2 era fighter, and have no plans to LOL, I think all that excess material could actually be a liability and would get snagged on something in the tight confines of a cockpit. There is loose (as in the photos posted above) and then there's too big. I think this one's too big and fits looser than what Doolittle and his comrades are wearing.

Suffice to say I'll be returning this one to Shaul. It's a fine jacket but I think the cut is just wrong for my body type. Even a 40R would be too long in the body and sleeves judging by the measurements US-A sent me. Still a great repro and I would recommend it if the garment fits you.

Tommydean

Familiar Face
It looks good to me. I ordered a horse/seal from US/A and i love mine. its a little tight in the arms and shoulders when i wear a sweatshirt under it but i like the "mega thick" horse hide US/A uses on there A-2's
Tom

<<<<<<<<<<<<<here's mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner