Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I weighed 140 and 6’3” tall when I got out of school.
I also had a high metabolic rate.
I ate all kinds of foods, junk or otherwise and never gained.
Waist was 34” until I reached my thirties.
Now weigh 200 still 6’3” but my waist is 38”.
Except for my gut, the rest of my body is ok.

Last year, I challenged a tennis player who was ranked #1
in the state when she was in her 20s.
She’s in her 50s, still competes & was good enough to play
for the U.S. team in Europe last year.

I started exercising on a regular basis to get in better shape.
I hate working out but I still managed to do some but soon
got bored and stopped exercising.

Luckily I enjoy riding the bicycle everyday & playing tennis.
I also cut down on the junk food .
I managed to loose the excess weight.
Mostly because of the diet.

I still eat all kinds of food but in “moderation”.
That is the key.

My job which is very physical plus my love for
cycling and tennis has had a lot to do with my
staying in shape.

I won one game in the tennis match against her.
She was being gentle with me. :(

Last edited:

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I was 155 lb. from high school until my 30s. then to 165 mid-30s to '40s, 175 in my 50s and now, at 69, I'm trying to stay under 190. I'm 5'7". But all my life I've enjoyed ridiculously good health. I had the usual childhood illnesses: measles, mumps, chicken pox and then, since 14, nothing but occasional colds and every few years, flu. I've never had a surgical procedure except to have all my wisdom teeth out when I was 17, the only time I've ever been under general anaesthesia. I've never spent a night in a hospital bed. A few years ago I had a bout of bursitis but there was nothing to do but wait it out. I used to exercise a lot, sometimes running 20 miles in a day. That wrecked my knees. I don't get much exercise now, I don't eat wisely and I drink too much, but I'm still healthy. Men with my health profile tend to just drop dead all at once. I have no problem with that. I dread years drooling and wearing diapers in a nursing home. I've had a great run and I'm ready to go when it happens.

When I tell people that I weigh 250 pounds they don't believe it. Being 6'4" helps, but somehow I am still considered lean. I keep active and exercise, but not excessively. I guess I should be considered overweight, but my frame makes it not so. Thank you Mom and Dad.
:D

When I tell people that I weigh 250 pounds they don't believe it. Being 6'4" helps, but somehow I am still considered lean. I keep active and exercise, but not excessively. I guess I should be considered overweight, but my frame makes it not so. Thank you Mom and Dad.
:D

I think I mentioned this above - you are the same height and within spitting distance of my dad's weight.

He wasn't fat, just big. Yes, he carried extra pounds, but he had nothing roly poly or "Santa Clause" heavy about him. The overall effect was a presence / a bigness. He commanded attention in a way that my 6'1" wisp of a 150lb frame never will.

My guess, you have a similar look and powerful presence.

Have you ever seen the movie: The Wicker Tree? Sam will shock you.

I have not, but will keep an eye out for it now. Also, while her name in "Foyle's War -" Samantha Stewarts a good one, her real name (and a birth name, not a stage one), Honeysuckle Weeks, is much, much better. I haven't seen her in anything other than "FW" yet.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
And I can remember being impressed by that super geek, Hiram Holliday.
hiram holliday.jpg

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Amazingly, Wally Cox and Marlon Brando were roommates when they were young actors trying to break in. Jack Klugman and Charles Bronson were roommates, too. But I guess Tommy Lee Jones tops them. He was roommates at Yale with Al Gore.

green papaya

One Too Many
You know your getting old when you remember packing up everything and driving from Oklahoma to California looking for work and you stop by a diner to buy a loaf of bread, and the lady sells you two pieces of candy for a penny, when it's actually supposed to be a Nickle a piece candy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff