Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

That's exactly how I feel about metrification. We have had it thrust down our throats because our European neighbours use it. It's simple, all to the power of ten and it's the future. Yet despite all the efforts of government suits, we still quote our weight & height, drive our distance, order our alcohol, measure our car's fuel consumption in imperial measure.
In an effort to get us to comply we had dual measures, like bridge height warnings, then the imperial measure was removed leaving it just in metres. So many bridges got struck by high sided trucks that the duel signs were quickly reinstated.
Unless I'm cremated, I intend to go into a six-foot-six box, to be buried, six foot under.
And thank you Americans, for your determination at keeping the imperial measurement going. It's our exports to you that keeps big business interest in imperial. Mercenary it may be, but that doesn't bother me.

As far as I'm concerned, it'll always be a fifth of whiskey, and yes, I know that the bottle is clearly labeled 750 milliliters.

I reached a ponit a couple of years ago where I no longer felt the need to be in with "the latest" tehnology, just aslnog as what I have fits the task I need. Interestingly, I've found a sense of calm in that. I'm by no means luddite, but there's a certain sense of being free in not feeling the need to have the latest whatsit. But then for about thirty years now I've often taken a perverse delight in my own ignorance of a lot of the mainstream, so I guess technologies of various sorts are just part of that...
I'm also by no means a luddite, and I neither care about most of the new electronic gadgets nor take delight in not knowing much about them. I just get the feeling that I'll one day become the old codger who is mystified and befuddled by some form of technology in the same way as those parents who had their kids set the clock on their VCR because they couldn't figure out how to do it. :oops:

Oh, and 6', 14 stone if anyone's interested. :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Remember the adage: "If the service is free, you're the product."
I just realized why I came out so good on the deal. What they are counting on, is locking you in to another two year contract at an inflated price! But, it seems, someone made the mistake of Grandfathering me into my current low price. Sometimes it pays to be lucky!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My wife's sewing cabin now resembles, from the outside, an old Singer Sewing Machine shop. The garden will soon have a new 'retail' outlet. I'm converting the garage to look like an MG repair centre. It will come complete with old style pre-self service fuel pumps, an adjacent bus stop and a phone booth.
You have the perfect painting of my dream house! MGs, pump and all.
Octagon-Garage_zpse0ak3fjz.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have tried everything on my Mac Air, even the over-priced spray and cloth that Apple sells, but nothing I've tried really gets a smudged computer screen truly clean - less smudged is the best I ever get to.
On the touch screen in my truck, computer monitor and phone I use Glass Plus, because it does not have ammonia. Works great!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I recently found a bottle of English Leather in a dollar store. It was the stuff to wear when I was in high school half a century ago. I had no idea they even still made it. I bought a bottle just to smell that scent again. It took me right back.

This is the can of “pomade” that I applied when I wore a haircut known as
a “flat-top” when I went to high school.
This was essential part of morning ritual for most guys
who wore a flat-top or crew-cut. Long sideburns like young “Presley”
on the ED Sullivan Show was not permitted by the school principle.
A trip to the boiler room & spanking with a wood paddle if you didn’t
follow the rules after being told.

Amazing is that the smelly goop is still useable.
Found it in my old dresser at my folks.
My momma kept it all these years.

The tin with aspirin tablets are so old that they will disintegrate
if I touch them.
Back then most products came with written instructions.
15naefp.jpg

14doiyw.jpg

It’s difficult to throw away these things no matter how trivial
they may now be.

I’m just a sentimental old dog.:(

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As far as dream houses go, how I would love to live in a restored railway station, complete with a platform full of artifacts, maybe a signal box and lots of other memorabilia.
View attachment 55265

I can appreciate the feeling.

For me this is my dream place. With all that stuff & huge windows.
Not too many folks would like it....too bad!
54688g.png

It would be grand with all my bikes, paintings & leather jackets spread out all over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy