Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Your sense of humor is simply grand.
I definitely must visit Maine someday.
Hope the “pastrami” sandwiches are as good
as you say.
I’ve never had “Moxie” before.
If that’s still available, I’ll give it a try. :)

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It was 1996 when I had my first mobile cellphone. The model was huge advance on the previous one, although I would have loved that, because the previous one was what became known as: "The Brick." Mine was about the size, weight and dimension of a one pound bar of chocolate. It's screen is black and white and it can only do text, non predictive of course, and voice. Yet its all but bulletproof. Come the digital era and my analogue phone found itself redundant.
Most people, youngsters especially, get so excited at the prospect of a new phone, so many new gizmos to learn, so much to play with. I, on the other hand, dreaded it. For goodness sake, it took me forever to learn this one. Enter my neighbour's boy, a budding physicist if ever there was one. He had a Saturday job in a phone shop, after explaining how I would like to keep my phone going, he invited me to bring it along to the shop. A week later the phone was up and running, having had an amazing piece of digital wizardry installed. And it's still working twenty years on, I told you it was bulletproof. Back then I bought a pack of half a dozen batteries which I use in careful rotation. The bell is the classic UK's: "Ring-Ring," that causes as much stares and amusement, as does the credit card-size sim card, as my old car. People touch it, almost reverently, many think it's The Brick, but it's just a phone that's perfect for an Old Luddite.
View attachment 55170
I didn't even own a cell phone 20 years ago! I finally bought one five years ago, it cost $0.99. I bought a new one last year, it was $0.97, but actually, it was free, since the company bought back my old non working phone, now I am way ahead of the game! And don't give me the old spiel that it is costing me more then if I bought a phone, I checked all the plans and mine is by far the cheapest! I don't begin to use all the features, just phone calls, the occasional text and the internet. It is a tool and a great one at that!

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I didn't even own a cell phone 20 years ago! I finally bought one five years ago, it cost $0.99. I bought a new one last year, it was $0.97, but actually, it was free, since the company bought back my old non working phone, now I am way ahead of the game! And don't give me the old spiel that it is costing me more then if I bought a phone, I checked all the plans and mine is by far the cheapest! I don't begin to use all the features, just phone calls, the occasional text and the internet. It is a tool and a great one at that!

Remember the adage: "If the service is free, you're the product."

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Finished hitting tennis with a young player earlier today.
Sitting down, I was thinking about the Fedora & this topic.

In the course of our conversation.
This young player has never seen a telephone booth
or ever used a telephone.

I was at a loss for words after that.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This young player has never seen a telephone booth or ever used a telephone. I was at a loss for words after that.

My wife's sewing cabin now resembles, from the outside, an old Singer Sewing Machine shop. The garden will soon have a new 'retail' outlet. I'm converting the garage to look like an MG repair centre. It will come complete with old style pre-self service fuel pumps, an adjacent bus stop and a phone booth.
Octagon-Garage.jpg Bus-Stop-Sign.jpg phonebox.jpg

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The realization that more time has elapsed from the time that the last US combat troops were withdrawn from Vietnam to now, than elapsed from the time my cavalryman great uncle chased Pancho Villa to the time I was born.

Or that more time has elapsed from John Glenn's orbital space flight to now, than elapsed from the time of the Wright Brothers first flight to the time I was born.

Or that more time has elapsed from the time I first got my driver's license to now, than elapsed from the sinking of the Titanic to the time I was born.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The realization that more time has elapsed from the time that the last US combat troops were withdrawn from Vietnam to now, than elapsed from the time my cavalryman great uncle chased Pancho Villa to the time I was born.
Aside from velcro, time is the most mysterious substance in the universe. You can’t see it or touch it, yet a plumber can charge you upwards of seventy-five dollars per hour for it, without necessarily fixing anything. Dave Barry

The thing I hate about my touch screen phone is, fingerprints on the glass! Every time I use the phone, I end up using my hot breath and a wipe on my cotton shirt to remove the offending greasy marks. I know, I am neurotic!
My dislike of fingerprints and smudges is why I use a stylus on my iPad and kindle. Smudges still occur to some extent, but at least at a more acceptable rate for me.
:D

My dislike of fingerprints and smudges is why I use a stylus on my iPad and kindle. Smudges still occur to some extent, but at least at a more acceptable rate for me.
:D

I have tried everything on my Mac Air, even the over-priced spray and cloth that Apple sells, but nothing I've tried really gets a smudged computer screen truly clean - less smudged is the best I ever get to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou