• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

You know you are getting old when:

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by GHT, Apr 18, 2014.

1. [​IMG]

"Where's the screen?"
    "Where's the on/off?"
    "You mean you can't text?"
    "No music?"
    "No photos?"
    "Why is it so heavy?"
    "What's a party-line?"
    "This is so weird!"
    "How do you use it when you're driving?"
    "Bummer!"

kids today. :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Edward, Bushman and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

I just thought of something. Twenty years from now, there will be an entire generation of adults, who never knew of a time when there was a limit to how much data you could use on your cell phone!

3. Stearmen

Stearmen I'll Lock Up

I wear T-Shirts, and am proud of it. Every one I know wears them, from age one to my 82 year old friend. Most have motorcycle related graphics on them, although, the dark blue one I am presently wearing has nothing on it! T-Shirts and sweat shirts are two of the best gifts given to mankind by God.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. EngProf

EngProf One of the Regulars

And you
    And you also knew what size film you needed - 120, 620, 127, etc.

Zombie_61 and 2jakes like this.
  5. There was a time when photo
    labs were available everywhere.
    Drugstores still sell some rolls
    of camera film but no longer
    have the processing or developing
    services.
    Now it's done by computer self-service for my iPhone.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  6. tattoo side show.jpg

tattoos on women

when this use to be something only seen at a circus side show, now it's the norm , and seen as a form of art and self expression on young men & women, full sleeves is a common trend, something that would be considered abnormal for a lady back in the old days.

7. Some of us still shoot on film! I took this last year on good old Tri-X in a 1971 Nikon F2!

Seattle10DiscoveryPark.jpg

Reports of the death of old-school photography are greatly exaggerated! But it's true that photography-as-we-knew-it has moved out of mainstream consciousness, now that everybody take pictures on their phones... except for ME!

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

I'm assuming you developed and printed it yourself in your own darkroom.

Wonder how many of today's kids even know what a darkroom is?

9. One of the kids from the theatre, up until a couple years ago, had her own darkroom until her source of paper for printing dried up. She learned film developing in high school, so the art is not totally lost. She shot a couple rolls of 120 for a school project using my grandmother's No. 2 Brownie from 1925 and got excellent results.

I still use a Kodak 35, the first American-made 35mm camera, from 1938. Get some pretty good pics with it, too. And as recently as 2011 I was shooting standard 8mm movie film in a Cine-Kodak 20.

Edward and Stearmen like this.
  10. Film? Not on your Tintype!

11. Actually, I developed in my kitchen and scanned the negatives. I've got an old Omega D-3 sitting out in the garage, along with everything else for a print darkroom (my parents were pros for fifty years, so I have most of the equipment from a full-blown photo biz)... but setting up a darkroom here is a project for the future, if ever. Scanning and manipulating the images is so easy - and you still get that classic film emulsion and old lenses look - and more than sufficient for the once- or twice-a-year developing I do these days.

2jakes likes this.
  12. It's very common today that I don't give it a second thought.
    Although I once saw an elderly woman very dignified in the way she
    was dressed and manners with a tattoo on her calf.
    I have nothing against what folks decide to mark on their bodies.
    But the tattoo stood out and didn't match the way she was dressed.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Stearmen likes this.
  13. I'm with you, I don't give tattoos a thought away from if it works for that particular person - the same way I think about, say, hair color or style of dress. Some tattoos work incredibly well for some people and some don't - like everything else people try style-wise. My only concern would be the permanence - you can change your hair color or clothing a lot easier than removing a tattoo - but again, that's just me.

Stearmen likes this.
  14. They Do Their Part.

[​IMG]

Edward, Stearmen and Zombie_61 like this.
  15. At a junktique store this afternoon not long after the nearby high school let out for the day when a kid picked up a copy of Blondie's LP "Parallel Lines" from the record bin and said "My grandma has this record."

Edward and BobHufford like this.
  16. I've had a number of people ask my advice before getting their first tattoo, and the first thing I tell them is to be 100% certain the design is something they'll want on their body for the rest of their life. Yes, there are procedures that can "remove" tattoos, but they're expensive, they're painful, they don't always remove the tattoo completely, and sometimes the procedure will leave a scar.

Edward and green papaya like this.
  17. While watching the movie "LIFEBOAT" a 1942 Alfred Hitchcock story, I remember a scene when a lady on the boat makes a remark about one of the other passenger's numerous tattoos, she said she could never understand why people would make a billboard of their body with those markings / letters, etc

so even back in 1942 there were people who had the same opinion about tattoos.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. vitanola

vitanola My Mail is Forwarded Here

gardner-rea-there-morris-if-that-don-t-bring-prosperity-nothing-will-new-yorker-cartoon.jpg

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  19. I'm thankful that tattoos were out of fashion during my adolescent and early adult years.

Trenchfriend and green papaya like this.
  20. EngProf

EngProf One of the Regulars

Glad to see such devoted supporters of the Second Amendment... (Just kidding - I know the difference...)