Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I am 70 myself. I couldn't do ten decent pushups when I was in the army, much less now. But I had no trouble running a mile wearing boots. I was never sure that either one was a useful military skill. My son, however, who also served in the army as a tank crewman, said that changing the air filters on a tank required a lot heavy lifting and cursing. So I guess you need do some strength as well as a good vocabulary. You get both of them in basic training and AIT (now both taken in the same place for some).

I am 70 myself. I couldn't do ten decent pushups when I was in the army, much less now. But I had no trouble running a mile wearing boots. I was never sure that either one was a useful military skill. My son, however, who also served in the army as a tank crewman, said that changing the air filters on a tank required a lot heavy lifting and cursing. So I guess you need do some strength as well as a good vocabulary. You get both of them in basic training and AIT (now both taken in the same place for some).

I was a Drill Sgt in 1970 & 71 at Ft. Polk, La. Marching as well as running the mile helps endurance dramatically ( didn't you notice ). If I had been training you, 10 pushups would have been childs play. Of course Viet Nam was going strong so it was serious business ( as it should be at all times ). Training trainees to save their own ass or a buddies was my main concern back then.
HD

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
I was a Drill Sgt in 1970 & 71 at Ft. Polk, La. Marching as well as running the mile helps endurance dramatically ( didn't you notice ). If I had been training you, 10 pushups would have been childs play. Of course Viet Nam was going strong so it was serious business ( as it should be at all times ). Training trainees to save their own ass or a buddies was my main concern back then.
HD
I took basic at Polk in fall of '67 ( Bravo Blackhawks, B-4-1!) I probably would have hated you. But the training was invaluable and I did stuff I would not have thought myself capable of.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I went on a vegetables only diet
one time.
I recall that while I was on it, I had
no problem with constipation or diarhea
and I felt great.
But I missed eating a good steak so
I didn't keep to a greens only diet.
Today, I eat in moderation or in
small amounts all day instead of
three big meals or big plates.

HD....
I was in the military during the Vietnam
Conflict.
My sincere respects and condolences.

You may not recall right now but
You were one of the few in this forum
that expressed words of comfort when
I lost my mom last year and my dad
earlier.
Thank You for easing my pain.

Last edited:
There was a reason to be hardcore as a Drill Sgt. Get the job done in as little time as possible. 'Basics' was what I taught. Surely not near enough to go to war. What 'I' did learn was compassion. These young warriors were human, not just soldiers laying their lives on the line to feel brave. They had fears and possibly disillusion with a divisive war.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I didn't hate my drill sergeant in
basic training.
Actually I was afraid of him.

So I became a chameleon.
I blended in so well that it was
a long time before he was aware
of me.
And I cheated in inspection.
I had an extra shaving kit hidden
and never touched the one for
inspection.
Hope you aren't too upset with me
sarge.
Shall I start my push-ups or go to
KP now?

Trenchfriend, you ate what was available
on the field.
At camp, I went to a native that
made delicious grilled cheese sandwiches. :p

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
When I took basic training, our drill sergeant hadn't been to drill sergeant school, so he couldn't wear a campaign hat. I'm almost certain he wasn't as mean or as foul-mouthed as "real" drill sergeants. I was skinny when I went though training but somehow I managed to pass the PT test with no problem. There were no women taking training when I was there. After basic, I took artillery training at Ft. Sill, which was a lot of fun. Then I spent the rest of the time in Germany in HQ, 24th Infantry Division in Augsburg. My daughter married a serviceman (Air Force) and spent about three years off and on (he was deployed twice) in Germany, too, not too far from Trier. The entire unit came back in 1968. There were more troops in Germany than there ever were in Vietnam, for what it's worth.

One of my memories of being in Germany was standing inspection beside my assigned vehicle when it was snowing.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Practically all I ever heard were, to be sure. And I wonder if mean drill sergeants (and this was in the army, too) had anything to do with officers and NCOs being "fragged" by the lower ranks, most of whom were draftees? But it seems to be a characteristic of every army in which the job of the sergeants is to make combat seem easy compared with training.

Never heard of 'Fragged'....
I was a draftee.
Don't think combat was easy compared to training. Just the opposite IMO. 'Basic' training wasn't nearly enough to prepare a soldier for the realities of combat.
You seem to have an opinion of the Army and training that is somewhat foreign to me.
HD

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
HD, glad you're in recovery.

As for age, you don't need to be old-n-wrinkly to have a life-changing event. I went through a quadruple bypass at age 56, almost a year and a half ago. It was the first time in my adult life that anything slowed me down both mentally and physically (motorcycle accidents slowed me physically for a while, but this is different). I am finally now beginning to contemplate going back to running again.

Last night at a summer camp meeting, one of my colleagues grabbed me in a bear hug as a greeting. The shout I let out stopped everyone cold. My chest, where I am wired together, is still not ready for that kind of pressure. It may never be.

So you never really know when something will happen that will change things significantly. I was the youngest patient in the CICU by a long shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy