Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

3fingers

One Too Many
I'm with you on the moms being attractive over the daughters. I work in a university town. Driving through campus in nice weather in recent years leaves little to the imagination. I've noticed that the girls, in spite of their lack of modesty, don't get my attention. Part of this is in some cases I am embarrassed for them. It also dawned on me that most of our kids are substantially older than these kids are.

Edward

Bartender
In the last couple of years I've turned just over double the aged of my undergraduate students. I find it hard to take in. For all many of them are physically attractive, the idea of how anyone could want to run off with someone that young is beyond me - I mean, what would you talk about??? Increasingly the pop-culture references of my heyday are from before they were born. I'm just glad I'm happy to be the age I am now: for anyone struggling with Tom Buchanan syndrome, working in a university must be hell on wheels.

In the last couple of years I've turned just over double the aged of my undergraduate students. I find it hard to take in. For all many of them are physically attractive, the idea of how anyone could want to run off with someone that young is beyond me - I mean, what would you talk about??? Increasingly the pop-culture references of my heyday are from before they were born. I'm just glad I'm happy to be the age I am now: for anyone struggling with Tom Buchanan syndrome, working in a university must be hell on wheels.

I question either the honesty or the eyesight of any more or less straight man who professes not to find college-age females physically attractive.

But there's a huge difference between that and actively pursuing physical relationships with the nubile young things. Even if he weren't making a fool of himself -- as he likely would be -- he might well find himself with very little other reason to enjoy her company. This isn't universally so, of course, but, as our friend Edward observes, in most cases the common ground proves elusive. It's not just tastes in popular diversions and the like, but the plain reality that people by nature want different things at different points in their lives. A man old enough to be a young woman's father (or even older yet) would be wasting both her and his own time.

Edward

Bartender
I question either the honesty or the eyesight of any more or less straight man who professes not to find college-age females physically attractive.

But there's a huge difference between that and actively pursuing physical relationships with the nubile young things. Even if he weren't making a fool of himself -- as he likely would be -- he might well find himself with very little other reason to enjoy her company. This isn't universally so, of course, but, as our friend Edward observes, in most cases the common ground proves elusive. It's not just tastes in popular diversions and the like, but the plain reality that people by nature want different things at different points in their lives. A man old enough to be a young woman's father (or even older yet) would be wasting both her and his own time.

I was once pursued by a lady significantly younger than I (not one of my students, but young enough to be at the time); couldn't do anything other than turn her down as being at such radically different stags of life. It's one thing to have settled down, chosen not to have kids, relaxed into yourself and made those sorts of decisions in your early thirties; late teens is something quite else.

A good friend of ours had two indirect and coincidental connections with Richard Ramirez. First, in March of 1985 Ramirez broke into a house in Whitter, California, a house he had burglarized a year earlier, and killed 64-year-old Vincent Zazzara while he was sleeping. He then killed Mr. Zazzara's 44-year-old wife Maxine after she was awakened by her husband's murder. The Zazzara's house was literally around the corner from where our friend lived with her mother at the time (and less than a mile from my parents' house :eek:). Second, after Ramirez had been arrested he was taken to a dentist to have molds of his "rotting" teeth made that would subsequently be used as evidence. This happened to be our friend's dentist, and she said her dentist told her that Ramirez was quiet but polite when he spoke, but that the energy in the room was so uncomfortable and oppressive that he didn't even want to be in the same room with him, let alone put his fingers in Ramirez' mouth.

The street where my sister-in-law's family lives is right along the probable route Richard Ramirez took from Downtown LA to East LA where he was captured. They live practically right next to the 5 Freeway. Ramirez ran across the freeway and tried to carjack a passing vehicle and then made his way to Indiana and Hubbard where he was captured. When I'm there I can just picture Ramirez walking up the street on that August day in 1985.

I was once pursued by a lady significantly younger than I (not one of my students, but young enough to be at the time); couldn't do anything other than turn her down as being at such radically different stags of life. It's one thing to have settled down, chosen not to have kids, relaxed into yourself and made those sorts of decisions in your early thirties; late teens is something quite else.

For 20 years, commencing when I was 19, I had an on-again, off-again relationship with a woman 14 years my senior. She was smokin' hot, very bright, and she found lots to like about me. I really did love her, but where we were in our respective lives couldn't help but create obstacles in our romance.

She's dead now. Ovarian cancer did it, four years ago, when she was 71. I hadn't seen her in more than a decade at that point, and hadn't heard of her passing until her son sought me out to tell me about it a couple years after the sad fact.

I treasure many memories of her.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
I see many baby boomers don't getting old at all :D....on the contrary they are getting better... hehe....hmmm

I only see millennials losers .....you know... getting uglier and more needy....yuck

oh well.

You know you're getting old when you think the moms of your students are hotter than your female students.
Funny this topic should come up now. On Saturday had a conversation with the woman who cuts my hair (and my wife's hair) that was along these lines, but was based on my personal experience and the realization that my own tastes have always been rather "age appropriate". For example, when I was in my teens and twenties I would see women 20 years or so older than I was and recognize they were attractive, but felt no actual attraction to them in the same way as I did with women who were approximately my age. Similarly, now that I'm 56 years old I see women 20 to 30 years younger than I am and also recognize they're attractive, but again feel no actual attraction to them like I might with women in their approximate-mid-50s. Additionally, I find my wife just as attractive now as I did when we first met 38 years ago, so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. :D

My dewy-eyed bride is 18 years my junior. We have kept regular company for 22 years now and have been married for 18 years come August.

Every relationship is unique in its way, as is ours. But the particulars of ours make the age difference less significant, which is not to say that it doesn't become a bit of an obstacle every now and then.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the most incongruous things I ever saw in my life was when we screened "The Last Waltz" a few weeks back, and attracted about a hundred and fifty well-creased sexe-and-septa-genarians, a number of whom creaked in the door on canes and walkers, loudly proclaiming that this was their NIGHT TO ROCK, BABY. Patchouli and Ben-Gay are an unfortunate combination.

One of the most incongruous things I ever saw in my life was when we screened "The Last Waltz" a few weeks back, and attracted about a hundred and fifty well-creased sexe-and-septa-genarians, a number of whom creaked in the door on canes and walkers, loudly proclaiming that this was their NIGHT TO ROCK, BABY. Patchouli and Ben-Gay are an unfortunate combination.

Among my favorite characters ever was a fellow who hadn't cut his hair in something approaching 40 years. He wore it in a long braid cascading down his back from his balding head.

I mention that as a caveat to the observation that most men over age 40 are better to avoid long locks. Few things look quite so silly to me as a wispy ponytail fashioned from what's left of the not-young man's hair.

I could go 10 years in either direction. :D
If I wasn't married I probably could as well, but I would have to feel some sort of connection to that person beyond a casual friendship. I do believe age is just a number, and it's difficult enough to find someone with whom you want to share your life who wants to do the same, so age shouldn't become a barrier if that connection exists.

My dewy-eyed bride is 18 years my junior. We have kept regular company for 22 years now and have been married for 18 years come August. Every relationship is unique in its way, as is ours. But the particulars of ours make the age difference less significant, which is not to say that it doesn't become a bit of an obstacle every now and then.
And this is a good example of what I was referring to above. To some people an 18 year difference in ages might seem a little extreme, but as long as it works for you two it's no one else's business. Well done Sir!

Among my favorite characters ever was a fellow who hadn't cut his hair in something approaching 40 years. He wore it in a long braid cascading down his back from his balding head. I mention that as a caveat to the observation that most men over age 40 are better to avoid long locks. Few things look quite so silly to me as a wispy ponytail fashioned from what's left of the not-young man's hair.
This is one of the reasons I've been wearing my hair much shorter in recent years. My hairline is receding and I'm developing the typical "bald spot" on the top/back of my head. Both have been slowly occurring for the last 15 or so years, and I don't want to be that guy who looks like he's leaving his hair long to hide the fact that he's losing it; to me that goes hand-in-hand with obvious hair plugs, a bad dye job, or a cheap toupee. Note to those guys: You're not fooling anyone. Also, I got tired of the maintenance involved with having long hair and spending a small fortune on shampoo and conditioner.

jacqueline101

New in Town
You know you're getting old when you have to tell the cashier how to make change.
That’s no joke. In 09 I had a cashier ask me how to break a 20 dollar bill. I’m like give me four 5dollar bills. He looks dumbfounded and tells me that doesn’t add up to 20 dollars. I put my hand on my face in embarrassment and an older lady came up to me and asked what the issue is. I told her I wanted my 20 dollars broke and I told the cashier to give me four fives equals 20 dollars and he was dumbfounded. The lady broke my 20 dollars and apologized for the cashier lack of an education.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails